Sunday 30 December 2012

Jambalaya Diaries: Sunday, December 30th

In order to improve the mind, we ought less to learn than to contemplate. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Joey, Leaping Tiger!


Nothing like family time!!

  • Patrick James Dunn Greetings from Simi Valley! All my family is currently performing The Loud Symphony of Snores, except Joey The Destructo AcroCat! Actually, a wonderful kitten who is just so full of energy that we had to take down the Christmas tree a few days ago as he knocked off the angel at the top! Fortunately Dusty was able to glue it back together so you can't even tell it was smashed! This in addition to repairing a chair that Alejandro managed to cause to come apart at the loose joints during a rousing game of Ten Pennies on Boxing Day! Ayn took Chloë back to LA last night as she leaves for Vancouver this evening. Best wishes from Clarisse, Dusty, Cora Lee, Joey and Patrizzio for a Healthy New Year to everyone in the Philippines! Cheers, from The Isaly Inn, Southern Franchise!

    Hi Patrizia and Beatricce!

    Simply delighted that both of you will be able to join us! Champagne in the hot tub, who needs a bathing suit!
     

    Off to ride to Moorpark shortly as day is cloudy here but otherwise dry. Travel safely and Healthy, Happy New Year's Wishes until we can extend them personally, with three kisses! Cheers, Patrizzio!

    Pics: Cora Lee and her Mom, Rosie-the-Riveter, beside the pool. Joey, The Destructo-AcroCat, our raison d'être for being here in the first place!


     Hello Sting Rae People! Greetings from Simi Valley, The Land of Milk and Honey!

    Earlier this morning all my family, (Cora Lee, Rosie-the-Riveter and Coat-Hanger), were currently performing The Inordinately Loud Cacophony of Snores, except Joey The Destructo-AcroCat! Actually, a wonderful kitten who is just so full of energy that we had to take down the Christmas tree a few days ago as he knocked off the angel at the top! Fortunately, Dusty was able to glue it back together so you can't even tell it was smashed! This in addition to repairing a chair that Alejandro managed to cause to come apart at the loose joints during a rousing game of Ten Pennies on Boxing Day! Other than that, the house isn't coming apart at the seams, not yet anyway!
    Last night Cora Lee was watching TV in bed when I started to get a tad drowsy at the keyboard so I decided it was time to leave the Diaries for an early night. I went downstairs to say goodnight to Rosita and Coat Hanger and then, once I'd brushed and flossed climbed into bed to read more of The Black Box. Joey joined us and promptly fell asleep, curled up against Cora Lee's legs. When I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer I got up and removed Joey's new body harness. We want to take him out into the garden on a leash so Coriandre had picked up the necessary kit at Petco the other day. He hardly woke up when I pulled the collar over his head so I think he is already getting used to his straight-jacket! In this same vein, Chloë cut his claws two days ago and he didn't fuss at all. Now all we need to do is to train him from wandering all over the kitchen counters, table and leaping onto the top of the fridge. Yesterday, before dinner, Ayn opened the fridge to take something out and set it on the counter. Before she had time to close the door, Joey was already perched on one of the shelves investigating, quite happily! I was the only one who didn't want to close the door on him! As a result, we are male bonding quite nicely!




    At any rate, he re-nestled against Cora Lee and I turned out the lights. He slept with us all night so he is obviously settling in to Waffle's former "cell"! Funnily enough, now that I have removed the temporary bars, he still stops in front of where they used to stand, tail twitching, neck craning, peering this way and that as if expecting Waffle to leap out from somewhere and attack him! Going to be hard to say goodbye to him when it comes time to leave as he really is most adorable and ever so affectionate in spite of his impish ways!Ayn took Chloë back to LA last night as she leaves for Vancouver this evening. Off to ride to Moorpark shortly as day is cloudy here but otherwise dry. Best wishes from Clarisse, Dusty, Cora Lee, Joey and Patrizzio for a Healthy New Year to the Rich and Famous in Bora Bora swimming with the sting rays! Cheers, from Il Palazzo di Simi, Cat Emporium Extraordinaire, Wine Vault and Plate Heaven, The Islay Inn, Southern Franchise!Pics: Coriandre and Clarisse beside the pool this past Friday. Joey, The Destructo AcroCat, our raison d'être for being here in the first place! We decided we'd better get him used to living in a shopping bag in case we decide to throw him out on the street if his behaviour doesn't improve!




    Leaving LA, sad to go but I have no room in the extra suitcase I brought with me!!! I am shopped out!!!
    • Ayn P We loved having you Chloe Alexis Dunn!!
    • Patrick James Dunn Bon Voyage! Just returned from a 107.5K ride to Thousand Oaks on Madera, (past road leading to Ronald Regan Library and Museum)/E&W Olsen Road and then back to do an up and over, Wood Ranch Parkway/Long Canyon Road. Took 5:30:55, AVG 19.4KPH, MAX 59.0KPH, on a hill off Big Sky Drive, against the hills at the western end of Avenida De Los Arboles! Joey and Nana are sitting in front of the fireplace. Clarisse bought him a scratching pad but he hasn't discovered it yet! Time for my shower. Much love to you, Chloë, and to Maggster. See you domani, Ayn and Xavierino! Cheers, Dad!

    Hi Big Al and Marilyn!

    Trust you are both well and that you and all your family enjoyed a wonderful Christmas. We certainly had more than a terrific time ourselves. Left Valley Glen, (where Ayn now lives), on Christmas Day afternoon to drive to Simi Valley, about 45 freeway minutes away. We opened our gifts that morning. (We arrived on Tuesday, the 18th, and were consigned to the The Alcove", Chloë slept with Ayn in her loft bedroom, Los Horridos on the living room couch/floor and Rosita/Dusty at a nearbye hotel), then had a delish Champagne and OJ brunch: bacon, scrambled eggs, croissants and blueberry jam. We'd been invited for Christmas dinner by Rick Livingstone/Rae Tanner, (Rick is Ayn's cousin.), and after a veritable feast of succulent prime rib, R/R; vegetables, (squash and garlic mashed potatoes, Cora Lee), pop-overs, Ayn and salads too, too numerous to mention, we had my rum-soaked Christmas Cake, (present from Robo Man) for dessert. Everyone complained that it contained too much flour!

    At 8:00pm a limo came to the house to collect the six heading to Tahiti and we waved goodbye to our hosts. We will be house/cat sitting until January 10th. Lovely end to a wonderful day, sitting around fireplace in den and chatting, polishing off a few more bottles of wine! The Valley Glenites left for home around
    11:00pm as it had been a long, long, busy, busy, fun-filled day and Ayn wanted to sleep-in on Boxing day in her own bed!

    Next day we spent a good deal of the morning and early afternoon settling in to our new abode, finding out where things were kept, etc., and doing more unpacking. When we arrived we really didn't have time to much other than unload car and stash our possessions in the bedrooms we would be occupying while here. 

     

     I spent quite a bit of time re-organizing around the house and garden. We must have done about ten loads of laundry, over the course of the day, as there were mounds of table cloths, bed linen and towels in the aftermath of large Christmas table settings and our hosts' departure. As well, recycling bin was filled to overflowing so I spent a good hour or so ripping apart box after box after box of Christmas related packaging! To a certain extent, state of place, while extremely comfortable, reminds me of The Millionaires with all their clutter!

    Around 3:30pm I finally had a chance to go for a short "exploratory" ride and was delighted to find that we are situated close to the base of a poifect hill which mirrors UBC's Foreshore Hill, to a certain extent. I followed Lake Park Drive,from 269 Fawn Valley Court, to where it intersects with Wood Ranch Parkway, a great four lane thoroughfare with a dedicated bike lane on both sides. At the top of the hill, (3K), I whizzed down Long Canyon Road to Fitzgerald and then made a right. I had close to 10K on the clock by then and wanted to finish with 25K. (Had to do a bit of shopping at Costco when I was back so had " orders to be home by 5:00pm at latest!)



    Just followed my nose on Fitzgerald, investigating side streets as they presented themselves. Once I had reached about 15K I retraced my route, more or less, and then started up Long Canyon Road again. Wasn't looking forward to ascent all that much as I seemed to take forever to descend earlier but when I actually was making the ascent it wasn't all that bad, I must say. Probably no steeper than the Foreshore Hill, except near the very bottom, but about twice as long, 4.3K, funnily enough, as opposed to UBC's 2K climb. The setting sun was right in my eyes for most of the uphill portion so I must have been heading due west. Quite like some of the last few mid-morning rides, in Vancouver, before we left as the low sun was simply blinding. Here it was the setting sun but effect was much the same. Lovely temperature but quite cool whenever in shadow and particularly when hitting 40-45KPH on downhill swoops. 

     Made it back to Fawn Valley Ct with 25.5K on the clock and was very pleased with the initial reconnoitre. Quick shower and then Cora Lee, Dusty and I drove to Costco, about 15 minutes away. Had to buy some groceries for next week or so. As well, Alejandro, youngest Horrido, had requested ribs and link sausages for dinner on day after Boxing Day as gang were returning to enjoy pool and hot tub! Shopping done we returned home to dine on a bbq'd chicken we'd picked up at Costco, along with a large salad I'd made as rest sipped on a David Coffaro 2010 Petite Sirah, 15.8%. With dinner we opened a Layer Cake 2010 Shiraz, McLaren Vale, 14.1%, $13 at Costco, about $25-$28 in Vancouver, if I'm not mistaken! I did the dishes and then tried to make a bit of headway on my backlog of messages while others read or watched TV.

    Valley Glen Gang arrived about 9:00pm. Ayn had phoned to say that they would be bringing pizza but that Chloë wanted a salad and hoped I'd make a large one. Had just finished it when front door burst open and the hordes arrived. We chatted while they ate and then we set up to play 10 Pennies, a silly card game that has become a Durston tradition, whether at Christmas or in the summer when friends and family are visiting. Quite remarkable how competitive things become as game progresses and this was highlighted by the fact that Alejandro actually broke the chair he was sitting upon in his frenzy to put down his winning hand! He should never have been sitting upon the slight frame in the first place and one of the already loose joints came apart. Dusty spent next two days gluing it back together with clamps improvised from pliers, bungee and electrical extension cords! Reminded me of some of those pics which show how people improvise all sorts of utilitarian gadgets from found objects!

    Exhausted and yawning, we played the last round at shortly after 1:00am, Chloë beating out her Dad to win! We bade one another goodnight and the Tinsel Town Freeloaders made their way to their assigned bedrooms or couches. I could barely keep my eyes open while I brushed my teeth, (I don't think all the malt and tequila we downed during the blood sport had anything to do with my drowsiness, Dear Reader!), and was fast asleep before Cora Lee turned in. Funnily enough, her gentle puff snores woke me at 2:30am to find her asleep, open book in hand, glasses still on, bedside light blazing!

     

    Had a lazy morning on Thursday and after threshing gang were fed on Dusty's pancakes, my bacon and Cora Lee's scrambled eggs the "youngsters" showered and made ready to go and see The Hobbit at a local theatre at noon. Dusty wanted to stay at home to start work on his first sketches of back garden and I wanted to go for a longer ride. After Tolkien Freaks left I suited up, cleaned and oiled my chain and set out shortly after 1:30pm. This time I turned right onto Wood Ranch Parkway which bisects the Wood ranch Gold Course, up a fairly short, easy grade, to follow it until it intersected with Madera Road. This took me past a number of malls and at the second one, (It boasts an Albertsons and I made note of its location as my high flyers wanted to shop there for lobster tails, on special, for New Year's Eve dinner!), I turned right onto Royal Avenue when it presented itself, just on the edge of the mall as I knew from the night before that Madera became increasingly busy and wanted to avoid heavy traffic.


    Following Royal for a few blocks I came to Sinaloa Road and was delighted to find it sported a dedicated bike lane in either direction. It is a gorgeous, eucalyptus lined avenue, for much of its length and, even better, with very little local traffic. I cycled along the thoroughfare, not really knowing where it would lead, part of the fun of exploring a new area, to where it dead-ended at Valley Gate Road. At this point I simply followed my nose, criss-crossing all the crescents and courts and drives and lanes that make up the sub-divisions typical of suburbia. That being said, the homes here were very attractive and nestled as they were, in the low hills circling the valley floor, most attractively situated with manicured lawns, (Most of the activity here involved Mexican, ("Hispanic", I'm severely reprimanded/told, by Chloĕ!), gardeners or UPS/FedEx delivery vans.), gorgeous palms and birch trees standing out against the many deciduous trees that still had autumnal leaves of red and gold on their branches. Furthermore, to add to my riding enjoyment, many of the side streets offered slight to considerable rises and subsequent dips so it was far from a flat lander ride.



     
    Thoroughly enjoying myself, drinking in the cul de sacs and circle drives, I realized that at an earlier stage of development, this valley must have been been filled with orange groves as many of the homes, particularly those near Sinaloa Lake, were heavily laden with the fruit, and a number, on larger tracts must have had twenty or thirty trees in their yards. As well, there were numerous bridle paths and I saw many stables and exercise paddocks in what I took to be the older parts of the subdivisions.

    Having exhausted the byways to the west of Sinaloa I took to exploring the ones on the eastern side. Here street layout was much the same and I began to work the grid from top to bottom. When I came across Bennett Street the name rang a bell from the day before and following it to a set of traffic lights I realized that it came to a T intersection with Long Canyon Road, now First Street. I had passed Bennett the day before, a long, long block before turning onto Fitzgerald, although I didn't know, at the time that I was on First Street. Eureka! All the pieces of the mental map puzzle now fit together and I knew exactly where I was and where I had come from, realizing that I could ride in a loop, from home and back, never having to touch the ground, Dear Reader!
     

     Absolutely elated by this discovery, (Of course I could have consulted a mpa beforehand but where is the thrill in actually knowing where you are going?), I determined that I needed to add about 15 more kllometres to the clock to have at least 50K registered before heading up LCR. The up and over would give me at least 7K and then I could tack on the remaining 4K or so, pelting along the straightaway of Lake Park Drive South to bring the total to my goal of 61K. Did just that and even managed to discover how best to turn onto First Street, just above busy Royal Avenue, (without a bike lane), when I scoped sidewalk access to a small park at the dead end of Rivera Street, one long block south. I wanted to calibrate the climb up First Street/Long Canyon Road from start to finish but didn't want to become embroiled in the relatively heavy commuter traffic at the busy intersection or Royal and First.

    When I'd achieved 52K I started up First, the hill being the steepest at this point until climb leveled off past Fitzgerald on my left. I hadn't ridden this section the day before but had some idea of what to expect from my earlier wanderings. Increasing grade until Carefree Drive, on my right, and I could see three other bikers ahead. I had almost caught up to them when they turned  left across the road, past Nonchalant Drive, and started up a fairly steep bridle path/mountain bike trail. Chap in lead was pulling a trailer and grade was too steep for him and he had to dismount and push his way over short hill to more level terrain. I kept on and past Bluegrass Street First becomes LCR. All the housing estates here are gated communities so I was denied the possibility of relief as I cycled past Canyon View, Vineyard, Rustic Hills and Twisted Oak Drives but since I spit on such "correctional" enclaves I wasn't fussed, Dear Reader!

    Cresting the hill I stood up to relieve my legs although I wasn't really taxed by the long haul, I'm pleased to report. Whizzed past Sycamore Grove and High Meadow Streets and then Kennerick Lane just before turning right onto LPD with the odometre showing just over 59K. A few dipsy doodles up and around Shady Hills Court and Galloping Hills Road, first two streets past Fawn Valley Court and both sporting steepest hills I'd encountered, to date. I know I could have reached 50+ if I hadn't been concerned about meeting a car on LPD as I rocketed down slope. Light was fading by the time I pulled in to our driveway and I could barely make out the stats: 63.3K over 3:35:06 for AVG 17.6KPH, MAX 49.4KPH. Much pleased with ride, overall, and had to accept the pretty dismal AVG, given the plethora of hill climbs. Still a great workout over most interesting terrain!

     

    When I had stowed my bike in the garage, I found most of the gang in the pool and hot tub so I had a quick java and then joined them. Quick plunge into the heated pool and then to the Spa which was glorious after my ride. By this time it was only Chloë, Pierre, Dusty and I outside and we had a great time chatting. Dusty regaled us with war time stories, in particular his train ride from Halifax to Winnipeg after he was demobilized. Back into house to shower and change and then open wine for dinner. While the Freeloading Horridos drank beer and rum, I opened a Coffaro 2010 Terre Melange, (44% Peloursin, 33% Grenache, 23% Mourvedre), 15.3%), for the oenophiles and they sipped as I put together a large salad.

    When everything was ready we sat down to relish Clara's ribs fabuloso, Coriandre's fresh parsley covered boiled potatoes and steamed asparagus and another bottle of Coffaro, this time a 2010 Aca Modot, (62% Cabbage, 21% Cab Franc, 17% Merlot), 15.1%. Since Xavierino had to work at 10:30pm, Glenites collected their scattered possessions and we kissed and hugged goodbye shortly after lovely meal was finished, shortly after 8:00pm. Chloë stayed as Ayn had a date with her current squeeze, Rolando, and Ayn was planning to return on Saturday, anyway, to take The Sisterhood to the Outlet Mall in nearbye Camarillo for a Power Shopping Spree!

    Scullione Patrizzio loaded dishwasher while others watched Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfayden. (This must have been the third time, over the course of this trip, so far, that I have watched parts of this terrific adaptation!) Chloë and Cora Lee had decided to take in The Life of Pi at 9:15pm so when they left for the cinema I finished watching Miss Elizabeth and Mr Darcy fall madly in love and then hied myself to Rick's office to digitate in front of the two 27" screens on his Mac Pro! Clarisse and Dusty continued to watched TV. Gals enjoyed the movie very much and when I came to bed at just after midnight, Cora Lee was fast asleep. Chloë came to say goodnight and I signed off to brush my teeth and then stole Harry Bosch from her bedside table and started in on Connelly's latest! Didn't even make it halfway through first chapter when my tooth pick propped eyelids finally collapsed and I turned off the light to sink into blissful sleep.

     


    Up at just after 8:00am on Friday, Waffle purring loudly, letting us know it was past her usual breakfast feeding time. We knew, from Rick and Rae, before they left, that a friend was supposed to come by to collect Waffles, their older cat, on Thursday. Waffles is a lovely cat but she took an immediate dislike to Joey, a delightful, recently acquired kitten, rescued, literally, in the nick of time from the SPCA. (Poor thing has the top of his right ear nipped off. Apparently this indicates that the animal is slated to be euthanized!) Rae and Rick felt Joey would be killed such was the nature of Waffle's fierce, viscious attacks. Rick himself is still recovering from a nasty infection on his right index finger. He still cannot bend it as it remains quite swollen and angry looking! He was clawed and bitten by Waffles when he attempted to save Joey from being ripped apart, shortly after they brought Joey home!


    Our bedroom door had a floor to almost ceiling, plastic grate affair which kept Waffle in solitary, so to speak. Litter box in our bathroom, access to upstairs deck and meals delivered at 8:00am/6:00pm so all her needs were seen to. Feline version of Birdman of Alcatraz! Each time one wanted to come into the bedroom or leave, you had to be extremely careful to prevent a jail break as Waffles wanted out of the Big House and Joey, dope that he is, wanted in! Once he figured out that Waffles couldn't get out, he took to taunting her by putting his paws through the lower bars, leaping away, almost flipping over backwards, as she approached!
     

     Hand-over originally to take place on Wednesday but kept being delayed, for one reason or another. First it was that the new owner to be, John Harper, was running a day or so behind and would we mind if he didn't come by to pick up Waffles until Thursday at 4:30pm. We agreed that that was fine although it made life slightly more difficult, having to worry about keeping the two cats apart. Next John phoned to say that trafic near Santa Barbara was terribly heavy and could he come by later that evening. Again, we agreed. And then he called once again to ask if we could hold on until late Friday afternoon! By this time we all wondered if he would ever appear so we simply shrugged our collective shoulders, said "Fine!" and waited for next plea!

    After breakfast I went up for a quick shower as I was accompanying The Sisterhood to the Ronald Regan Presidential Library and Museum, but seven minutes away from us. It opens daily at 10:00am so we wanted to try to be there as close to then as possible. When I came downstairs, John had called, yet again, to say that he would now be coming at 1:30pm. First a day and more late and now early! Shaking our heads, we bundled ourselves into the car and made for the Library complex, situated on a mountaintop with simply stunning, sweeping views  of the surrounding hills, valleys and even the Pacific. Though just after 10:00am when we arrived, parking lot was completely full. I had dropped the Goils off earlier so that Clarisse wouldn't have to walk any further than need be when I learned that I could park on the road-side leading to the site and catch a Shuttle back to the entrance. Did just that, finding a spot right before Shuttle Stop #2. Once I'd parked I decided to hoof it back as didn't wan tot wait for the bus and it really wasn't all that far anyway.


    Found The Sisterhood in the lobby, tickets already purchased, (Rosita's sharp eyes had noticed a $5 discount coupon in morning paper so she clipped it out, Saved $20, Annie!). This is the second Presidential Library we have visited. First went to Lyndon Baines Johnson Library in Austin, TX, with Ruth and Randy when we visited tehm in San Antonio in March, 2011. While the overall tone of the place is one of uncritical adoration, if not outright adulation, it is still a most interesting walk though time. The 24 different galleries are extremely well laid out, utilizing the latest touch screen technology and contain wonderfully fascinating photographs, posters, artifacts and historical documents which chart a young Ronald Regan on his rise from local football hero and college radio announcer to the glamour of Hollywood and the governorship of California and ultimately the presidency of the US.

    Of particular interest, to me at least, was the full-sized replica of the Oval Office as furnished and decorated by Regan during his presidency, including a collection of Paul Rossi bronze saddles and a jar of jelly beans, and the Air Force One Pavilion, a most impressive steel and glass structure which houses "The Flying White House", Tail Number 27000, which flew six other US presidents: Nixon, Ford, Carter, H.W. Bush, Clinton and W. Bush.
     

    After finishing the tour of the Museum itself we next visited Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, apparently the largest exhibition ever curated by the Walt Disney Archives and the largest temporary exhibit ever housed at the Reagan Library. Again, a wonderful surprise and truly a delight. I was most taken with some of the very early animation as well as the original designs/sketches for Disneyland itself. I was not aware of this but a long personal friendship and professional collaboration existed between Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan. It began many years before Reagan’s political career when on July 17, 1955, Reagan was one of the co-hosts of ABC-TV’s live coverage of the opening of Disneyland. TV footage of the event is most entertaining.

    Quick stop at the Museum Shop for fridge magnets and then I hopped onto the Shuttle Bus to bring the car back. Picked up the The Sisterhood and we returned home just before 1:00pm to find that Waffle was still in stir. I decided I'd go for another ride as John had phoned, one last time, to say he would be by at 3:30pm. (Cheque's in the mail!) Goils piled into my car and made for Trader Joe's and Petco. At the latter, they were looking for cat claw clippers and a harness for Joey The Destructo Cat. Since they would be back in an hour or so I wasn't needed to be of assistance during transfer of feline felon. Suited up and made for Wood Ranch Parkway with the idea of exploring the housing to the west of the thoroughfare.

    First exit one encounters is Martha Morrison Drive and I took it to begin my scopage of this part of Simi Valley. Very, very much like the ones I'd ridden through the day before and it made me think of cookie cutter suburbia. I presume that many, if not all of the houses in the subdivisions hereabouts were built by the same developer(s) as one can see almost identical home designs along with the same fencing and wall structures which demarcate the units and complexes from the surrounding hillsides or canyons. As well, each of the separate communities following this pattern, which I had ridden through or around, possessed a sizable and attractively landscaped community park, some with numerous tennis courts and/or basketball courts, even a few skateboard parks. While I don't mean to be disparaging, I couldn't help but think of Pete Seeger singing:

                       "
    Little boxes on the hillside/Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
                       Little boxes on the hillside/Little boxes all the same."

    I saw many families enjoying themselves here so I'm sure it is a particularly good environment in which to raise children. While I couldn't have asked for a better ride route, I don't think, in all honesty, that I'd choose to live in such a situation if I had other options. (Only truly sad note was to see the myriad, inflatable Santas and reindeer and Frosties in a state of deflation, on driveways., lawns and even rooftops, their plugs pulled as yet another Christmas season had come to an end and their shrunken plastic corpses were to be consigned to storage crypts in basements, garages or attics! This wholesale murder aside, I certainly had my cycling work cut out for me as each new drive or court or place offered a fairly steep, if relatively short hill. A quick downhill glide and then the process repeated itself over again. After an hour and a half I had barely 15K on the clock but I was enjoying the new sights and the attendant workout.

    When I followed Circle Knoll Drive, off Martha Morrison Drive, I eventually found myself riding past Wood Ranch Elementary School and I thought that this road exited on to WRP where it meets Long Canyon Road. Turned out I was wrong by two long blocks. Backtracking and then twisting and turning off onto Bannister Way I eventually found a tiny lane, Kirkside Place, (Street sign said "Private Lane" so I didn't know if I was in danger of being shot for trespassing, Dear Reader!), which led me to a parking lot at teh foot of Long Canyon Trail. Rick had told me earlier that there were many hiking/mountain bike trails in the area and this was obviously a starting point. Saw numerous runners, hikers and bikers either leaving or returning. Imagine it would be fun to trek over some of the trails as the views of the surrounding countryside are magnificent. Don't think I'd attempt to ride, even with a mountain bike, as trails looked pretty formidable. Too, too Squamish Test of Metal-ish for me!



    By this time I had close to 25K on the clock so I decided to return to first west exit off WRP so that I could ride most of it without a break. Must say that my legs were feeling a bit tired from all the hill work so I quite enjoyed the effortless descent down Long Canyon Road. Knowing a bit more about where First Street would take me now, I stayed on it until Arcane Street, the next major thoroughfare north of Fitzgerald Road, and followed it, enjoying the dedicated bike lane until it became Royal Avenue. Little traffic at this point on Royal Ave so I followed it all the way to Sequoia Ave, deciding to follow it north as it had a bike lane. Stopped just before E Los Angeles Ave, on Moreno Drive, as I could see numerous traffic lights ahead. Furthermore it had gone 4:15pm or so and I had just over 40K on my odometre. I wanted to be back on First Street before 5:00pm so I retraced my steps, up Sequoia to Royal and along it to Eringer Road where I had to turn south there to reconnect with Arcane. Once back on Arcane I only had to do a few "circles" to wait for the light at First to change. In fact, after I missed one change I decided to run a red when road was clear in both directions, Dear Reader, to achieve First.

    Had precisely 46.8K on the clock when I started the long haul home and rest of ride was almost a replay of yesterday's jaunt with the exception that the sun had almost set and in so doing coloured the sky and the low stratocumulus clouds a most delicate salmon pink, beautiful in the extreme. Reveling in the good fortune that allowed me to see such a wondrous sight, I barely felt the climb and before I knew it I was past Rustic Hills Drive and coasting towards WRP. Quick descent as last light drained from the sky and I was on LPDS racing for Fawn Valley Court with a cool  54.2K on the clock so I only had to do three small circles at the top of FVC to be able to pull into our driveway with 55.4K registering, an official ride over 3:09:40. AVG 17.5KPH, MAX 47.7. Pleased with distance and terrain but disappointed with lacklustre AVG. Still, something to improve upon on future rides!
     

    Found the assembled householders mourning a Waffle-free zone so opened a Coffaro 2010 Petit Verdot, 15.5%, to help them drown their recently departed cat sorrows and after a quick shower and change, I proceeded to make a green salad while Cora Lee broiled catfish and Rosita did Brussell sprouts in the cast iron frying pan. We sat down for a very tasty meal and everyone shared the story of their day. After dinner, dishes done I repaired to Messaggio Centrale and worked away until midnight. Chloë came up then to go to bed herself and after kissing her goodnight, I brushed and flossed like the Good Boy I am and then snuggled in beside Coriandre to read more Boschcapades before turning off the light at 12:45am.

    Coriandre was up at 7:00am next morning and I followed her downstairs half an hour later. I emptied the dishwasher while my java was gurgling and then beat a hasty retreat to work on the Jambalaya Diaries, determined to be able to submit current entries by the day's end, come hell or high water! So resolved, I didn't even open my email account but simply digitated away, recording, with some difficulty, I must admit, the blur of the days since Christmas. Only thing that gave me heart was the fact that it was raining rather steadily so I felt I had a reasonable excuse for not riding and could, therefore, dedicate myself to scribagge, at least until sun poked its head out from behind clouds and mist which obscured the surrounding hillsides.
     

    Managed a concerted two hours worth of work until just past 10:00am when I went downstairs and prepared a  disgustingly healthy breakfast of plain yogurt, (Greek), blueberries and grapes, both green and red. Just as I was finishing my meal. Ayn Arrived with Xavierino. He was going to spend the day with us while The Sisterhood prowled the Outlet Malls of Simi Valley and beyond. I kissed the Power Shoppers goodbye and returned to JD HQ and continued with my homework assignment. Around 1:00pm I went downstairs to have a bite to eat before setting out for a ride. The rain had let up by now, although the sky was heavily overcast. I zapped a bowl of Clarisse's delicious home-made chicken soup, (basic ingredientos courtesy of bbq'd bird we'd bought at Costco a few days earlier), and between slurps started to prepare the pork roast I had been instructed to cook for dinner.

    I was to use a spiffy Cuisinart Multi-Cooker so I first rubbed the roast with Bohemian Forest Rub, (One in the package of wonderful spices Rae and Rick had given us for Christmas.), then browned it in a cast iron frying pan, adding chopped garlic and shallots. As the frying pan was sizzling away I peeled some parsnips and spudolinos and when I deemed the roast to be nicely done, transferred everything to the cooker. This task accomplished I set about emptying the dishwasher and then reloaded it. Both Dusty and Pierre had managed to fill the sink with their lunch dishes! Tasks finished, I was about to suit up for a ride. The sun had broken through and day looked promising at this point. Pierre was asleep on the couch where he had started out watching college football and Picasso was at the bay window in the kitchen, his nifty collapsible easel, (a very thoughtful Christmas gift from Ayn and Los Horridos), working on his latest canvas, a study of the pool and back garden and hillside behind.
     

     My charges well taken care of, I thought I'd have time for at least a two hour ride. Brought my cycling gear form the line Dusty had put up for me, outside under a covered deck, and was just about to change into them when Dusty asked if there was any place nearbye where a thirsty artist could find a bottle of rum! Knowing this errand required a car ride, I put my garments in the garage and went upstairs to find the address for the nearest Trader Joe's. One I found was in Thousand Oaks and we needed to take Madera Road to get there. I was pleased as I had wanted to scope out this route to see if it offered a possible ride.

    Once I had this information I plugged it into Garmin Goil and we set off, the day bright with the afternoon sunshine, the green hills shining. Only a ten minute ride even though I missed the turn on to Moorpark Fwy, taking E Olsen Road instead. Glad that I did as this is a much less traveled road with a wonderfully wide dedicated bike lane. Found Trader Joe's, after missing it on first pass, on Avenida De Los Arboles and managed to score a spot in the very busy parking lot. Didn't take us long to buy a quart of skim milk, two bottles of Whaler's Rum, ($22.45!), and a case of white wine, ($100.65, most of the bottles were $6.99. We'd had many before and they were amazingly palatable.), for our New Year's Day bash. Back home we unloaded and Dusty proceeded to get loaded. Pierre was still asleep! He had worked until 3:00am the night before and was pretty tired.



    Roast was giving off mouth-watering smells so I headed back to work on the JD. About an hour later The Sisterhood returned with their shopping spoils and at 5:30pm Ayn came upstairs to ask me to make a salad as they needed to leave by 7:30pm since Pierre had been scheduled to work at 9:00pm, rather than at the usual 10:30pm start time. Happy to oblige, I finished off the paragraph I was currently editing and made for the kitchen. The gand were already pounding a Layer Cake 2010 Shiraz, 14.1%, and The Dustman had switched to white wine, a Parfait 2009 Chaaaaaardooonnaaaaaaaayy, 13.9%, so all was well in Juice City! Didn't take me long to throw a large saladin together and once that was done I carved up the roast and we sat down to enjoy the most tasty meal, if I don't say so myself! Another Coffaro, this time a 2006 Tannat, 13.8%, nicely aged in Portland at Oliver Cellars these past few years!

    Once Xav had vacuumed last few remaining bits of kartofelage and roast, Chloë collected her overnight gear and the day's shopping haul and we bade goodbye to the Day Trippers, kissing everyone and wishing them A Healthy, Happy New Year as we certainly won't see Chloë until February and it is not certain if Los Horridos and Ayn will drive out to Simi Valley on New Year's Eve to share out steak and lobster dinner before heading to their own
    soirées! Once others had left, I returned to my kitchen duties while the gentry read or watched TV.



    Cora Lee was watching TV in bed when I started to get a tad drowsy at the keyboard so I decided it was time to leave the Diaries for an early night. I went downstairs to say goodnight to Rosita and Coat Hanger and then, once I'd brushed and flossed climbed into bed to read more of The Black Box. Joey joined us a promptly fell asleep. curled up against Cora Lee's leg. When I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer I got up and removed Joey's body harness. WE want to take him out into the garden on a leash so Coriandre had picked up the necessary kit at Petco the other day. He hardly woke up when I pulled the collar over his head so I think he is already getting used to his straight-jacket! In this same vein, Chloë cut his claws two days ago and he didn't fuss at all. Now all we need to do is to train him from wandering all over the kitchen counters, table and leaping onto the top of the fridge. Yesterday, befoer dinner, Ayn opened the fridge to take something out and set it on the counter. Before she had time to close the door, Joey was already perched on one of the shelves investigating, quite happily!

    At any rate, he re-nestled against Cora Lee and I turned out the lights. He slept with us all night so he is obviously settling in to Waffle's former "cell"! Funnily enough, now that I have removed the temporary bars, he still stops in front of where they used to stand, tail twitching, neck craning, peering this way and that as if expecting Waffle to leap out from somewhere and attack him! Going to be hard to say goodbye to him when it comes time to leave as he really is most adorable and ever so affectionate in spite of his impish ways!

    Up at just after 7:00am. Joey accompanied me to the bathroom and then downstairs while I enjoyed my first Keurig




    Hi Raymond and Sylvia!

    Trust you are both well and that preparations for bringing in the New Year are in place. For our part we will spend it here at 269 Fawn Valley Court, Simi Valley. Cora Lee and Rosita went shopping at Albertson's yesterday afternoon for steaks and lobster tails! When Ayn and Pierre heard about our dinner fare they invited themselves to partake of meal before returning to LA. Pierre will be working at Sound, the nightclub where he has been on security detail for last little while. (Apparently he is in particularly high demand, so to speak, because with his almost 7' stature he can see above the crowded floor and spot trouble brewing! As well, his personality is such that his manner is placative rather than testosterone fuelled aggression. Bit like Sarge in this respect. Their bulk and size don't hurt either, of course) For her part, Ayn has a date with her most recent amore, Rolando. We met him on Christmas Eve and we like him, to the extent that we know him. 


    After dinner, the four of us will probably play a bit of bridge and watch the New Year's festivities on TV. We are hosting an Open House on New Year's Day. Many of Ayn's friends we've met over the course of the years and those of Los Horridos as well. Pleased that two women we sat beside at dinner at Ralph's in Healdsburg, a week or so ago now, will be coming up from Pasadena. Beatrice lives there and Patricia is now working in Healdsburg. She is flying down for Rose Bowl Parade, etc. We chatted about a possible house exchange as both would like to visit Vancouver. It would be terrific to have a place in wine country and I'd certainly love to show any of the Peleton who might want to visit the rides around the vineyards! I'm sure you would be comfortable on the smaller country lanes, Sylvia, so something to keep in mind if exchange transpires.

    At any rate, will probably do some of the set-up for tomorrow after the Tinsel Town Freeloaders leave for the fast living of LA and before midnight, if we all manage to stay awake by then! The Sisterhood will be cooking two turkeys, making meatballs, beans and pecan tarts  during the day today. Ayn will be bringing a cheesecake and I plan to offer the remaining half of your wonderful, wonderful Christmas cake, Raymond! Dusty and I trimmed it off last night so that it will look respectable on the First! Had it with un-whipped whipped cream for dessert and had to hide it on Dusty as he wanted a second helping!

    Must say that I felt like another heaping helping myself as I completed the longest ride of our stay in California yesterday. On Saturday
    I thought I'd have time for at least a two hour ride. Brought my cycling gear from the line Dusty had put up for me, outside under a covered deck, and was just about to change into them when Dusty asked if there was any place nearbye where a thirsty artist could find a bottle of rum! (He has been painting for the last few days.) Knowing this errand required a car ride, I put my garments in the garage and went upstairs to find the address for the nearest Trader Joe's. One I found was in Thousand Oaks, a neighbouring community, and we needed to take Madera Road to get there. I was pleased as I had wanted to scope out this route to see if it offered any possibilities for rides.


     

    Once I had this information I plugged it into Garmin Goil and we set off, the day bright with the afternoon sunshine, the green hills shining. Only a ten minute ride even though I missed the turn on to Moorpark Fwy, taking East Olsen Road instead. Glad that I did as this is a much less traveled thoroughfare with a wonderfully wide dedicated bike lane. Found Trader Joe's, after missing it on first pass, on Avenida De Los Arboles and managed to score a spot in the very busy parking lot. Didn't take us long to buy a quart of skimmed milk, two bottles of Whaler's Rum, ($22.45!), and a case of white wine, ($100.65, most of the bottles were $6.99. We'd had many before and they were amazingly palatable.), for our New Year's Day bash.

    Knowing what I did, I set off just before noon and took Lake Park Drive South to Wood Ranch Pkwy then north to Country Club Drive, west on it until it feeds into Madera
    , past road leading to Ronald Regan Library and Museum, which we visited this past Friday.
    It opens daily at 10:00am so we wanted to try to be there as close to then as possible. We bundled ourselves into the car and made for the Library complex, but seven minutes away, situated on a mountaintop with simply stunning, sweeping views of the surrounding hills, valleys and even the Pacific. Though just after 10:00am when we arrived, parking lot was completely full. I had dropped the Goils off earlier so that Clarisse wouldn't have to walk any further than need be when I learned that I could park on the road-side leading to the site and catch a Shuttle back to the entrance. Did just that, finding a spot right before Shuttle Stop #2. Once I'd parked I decided to hoof it back as didn't want ot wait for the bus and it really wasn't all that far anyway.



    Found The Sisterhood in the lobby, tickets already purchased, (Rosita's sharp eyes had noticed a $5 discount coupon in morning paper so she clipped it out. Saved $20, just like Annie!). This is the second Presidential Library we have visited. First went to Lyndon Baines Johnson Library in Austin, TX, with Ruth and Randy when we visited them in San Antonio in March, 2011. While the overall tone of the place is one of uncritical adoration, if not outright adulation, it is still a most interesting walk though time. The 24 different galleries are extremely well laid out, utilizing the latest touch screen technology and contain wonderfully fascinating photographs, posters, artifacts and historical documents which chart a young Ronald Regan on his rise from local football hero and college radio announcer to the glamour of Hollywood and the governorship of California and ultimately the presidency of the US.

    Of particular interest, to me at least, was the full-sized replica of the Oval Office as furnished and decorated by Regan during his presidency, including a collection of Paul Rossi bronze saddles and a jar of jelly beans, and the Air Force One Pavilion, a most impressive steel and glass structure which houses "The Flying White House", Tail Number 27000, which flew six other US presidents: Nixon, Ford, Carter, H.W. Bush, Clinton and W. Bush.




    After finishing the tour of the Museum itself we next visited Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, apparently the largest exhibition ever curated by the Walt Disney Archives and the largest temporary exhibit ever housed at the Reagan Library. Again, a wonderful surprise and truly a delight. I was most taken with some of the very early animation as well as the original designs/sketches for Disneyland itself. I was not aware of this but a long personal friendship and professional collaboration existed between Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan. It began many years before Reagan’s political career when on July 17, 1955, Reagan was one of the co-hosts of ABC-TV’s live coverage of the opening of Disneyland. TV footage of the event is most entertaining. Quick stop at the Museum Shop for fridge magnets and then I hopped onto the Shuttle Bus to bring the car back. 
     


    Anyway, with respect to my ride, Madera turns into E&W Olsen Road and I followed this very comfortable thoroughfare, (Bike lane is more than wide enough for two cyclists to ride beside one another. Furthermore, I don't think I've found any debris or grit of any kind on any of the dedicated bike lanes I've ridden upon. Cycling surfaces, by and large, are dry, clean and smooth. Hardly need to clean my chain, although I have been quite religious about doing just that.), it into Thousand Oaks itself. The grades here reminded me very much of the terrain between Parksville and Comox. Long, long rises so one has to work but not to exhaustion. Had no real destination so I simply followed my nose. Passed the campus of California Lutheran University and a short while later W Olsen Road became Lynn Road  and when I reached Avenida De Los Arboles I turned off to follow it towards the nearbye hills. From yesterday's excursion I knew that Trader Joe's was in the opposite direction and I would explore that territory later in the ride.

    ADLA ended near a parking lot for Wildwood Regional Park and here I turned north, deciding to follow Big Sky Drive. More of the same type of housing development that I have often encountered on many rides but what struck me here was the proximity of the wonderfully rugged hills, many of their slopes covered with dense growths of pear cactii, or what I took to be that type of cactus. Following BSD led me Wildwood Avenue and I could see that this street led into the hills so I thought I'd take a look. Must say that this was the steepest, longest climb I'd encountered to date. Turning right off WA I took Camino de Celeste and was quite taken with the obviously expensive homes here, beautifully landscaped and most offering spectacular views of the surrounding valleys and hills/coastal mountains. I was huffing and puffing as I made my way up CDC but not as much as when I took WA to its end, on a neighbouring hill. I must admit that I turned off a number of times to catch my breath in a convenient bay or two which offered a flat surface for a few moments. Once I had ridden to the top, the view was more than worth the effort and I hope to bring Cora Lee and her parents here, at some point, just to show them the spectacular vistas.

    Had to be careful about my downhill speed as I was worried I might encounter a vehicle or dog walker. As it was I managed to reach 59 KPH and was braking for much of the time! The road surface was almost without blemish so if I ever do the climb again, I'll try to break the 60KPH barrier, now that I know a bit more about the descent path. Once down I continued following Wildwood until it crossed W Olsen Road. Then I knew exactly where I was so retraced the loop and then turned on to Lynn Road, following it as far west as W Hillcrest Drive, part of the way on dedicated bike lane, part on the sidewalk with posted signs saying it was for cyclists as well as pedestrians.

    Hillcrest looked rather busy so I turned around and found access to Calle Yucca and began to work my way back through the various Caminos and Calles of this part of Thousand Oaks. Noticed many Horse Crossing signs and the attendant bridle paths so this is obviously horse country as well. At one point I explored the streets off Lotus Avenue and this was the first time in all my riding in California that I have had to actually stand up to pedal in order to achieve the crest of the hill in question. And it wasn't just one ascent, there were many of them in this remarkably hilly terrain. Close to the top of Lynn Road I turned off onto Janss Road and was pleased to find it relatively level for most of its length. I wanted to have at least 50K on the clock before I made for ADLA so I took every opportunity to ride around each and every Court and Circle which presented itself, being rewarded on Stetson Street, off Truett Circle, with a magnificent pear cactus still trimmed with huge, brightly coloured Christmas globes. First time I've ever seen a Christmas Cactus and it was certainly most attractive.


    Made my way back along the sidewalk on the west side of Lynn knowing I was going to have to do a second loop of the west end of ADLA and Big Sky although I spared myself the steep ascent of Wildwood Avenue this time around. This done I had logged about 51K so when I crossed Lynn Rd I knew I was in reasonable shape to make my goal of 100K by the time I was home. Long, gradual climb west on ADLA but with a dedicated bike path I really didn't mind. Trader Joe's is on the corner of ADLA and Moopark Road and I turned north here, knowing from yesterday's reconnaissance that this thoroughfare had a dedicated bike lane as well. Wind was behind me as I followed this road as far as Gainsborough Road where I turned west again to follow this pleasant street, through a delightful sun shower, to the top of the small hill just before the lights at Lynn Road.

    Time to turn around as by now I had a pretty good idea that I had come far enough so that by the time I was back at the intersection of ADLA and Moorpark I would know how much further I'd have to cycle to register around 71K before making for home. Few dipsy doodles into shopping centre parking lots on Moorpark to catch lights but nothing even remotely challenging for a seasoned vet. Once back at ADLA I thought I might as well follow it east as the dedicated bike path was calling out to me and I did wish to see where it would lead me. As I suspected, it would have taken me under the Moorpark Freeway and then to Lang Ranch Park, a destination I had arbitrarily punched in to Google Maps when first trying to get an overview of the area. However, shortly before the freeway, the bike route came to an end so I turned around and made for Lynn Road.
     

     Enjoyed the return along Avenida De Los Arboles as it slightly downhill all the way and even though the head wind had picked up I cruised along feeling pretty good about the ride. Once back at Lynn Road I had close to 70K on the clock and was pleased that this was so. Now it was just a matter of gritting my teeth and making the best of the last 30K. First part of return, Lynn Rd/W. Olsen Rd, past CLU and Spring Meadow Park, is relatively flat but right after Moorpark Rd the long haul begins and one climbs steadily, for at least 2K until Erbes Road and then much relief as one glides all the way under the Mpoorpark Fwy. Slight climb again until one is past the Ventura County Police Dept, on the left, and Calleguas Municipal Water District on the right. Then, more or less, it is smooth sailing right onto Country Club Drive, downhill, literally, all the way to the bottom of Wood Ranch Pkwy.

    Just past Lake Park Drive North I had 79.7K on my odometre and I wanted to calibrate the ride more closely than I had ever done before since I'd not ridden uphill from this spot in the past. This ascent, while shorter than the climb up Long Canyon Road, is steeper so requires a bit more exertion, obviously. At any rate, I determined that the hill is 2.7K from LPDN to the highest point, near Vineyard Drive off Long Canyon Road. Felt pretty good as I sailed downhill, even though it was a tad chilly without the sun.



    On the descent I mapped out exactly where I was planning to go once I turned off First. I knew which streets sported dedicated bike lanes from my ride in this area earlier in the week. This being the case, almost at the bottom of the hill I turned off on to Arcane and followed it, then Royal then Fitzgerald to Sequoia. Turned around here as I knew I had the distance I needed. Retracing my wheels, so to speak, I had logged 96K by the time I was back on First, (only one dipsy doodle to catch the light here!), and starting to climb. Sky was a glorious pink again but not as many clouds so not as much colour showing. Hit 100.3K near Vineyard so assigned 4.3K as the official length of Long Canyon Hill!

    Rest of ride was a piece of cake. Had switched on my lights about half-way up this last hill but it was still reasonably light, light enough for me to see that I had 104.5K on the clock by the time I was close to Fawn Valley so decided I'd go for 105K and then that turned into 107K when I misread odometre at 106K. Final count: 107.5K over 5:30:55, AVG 19.4KPH, MAX 59.0KPH, on aforementioned hill off Big Sky Drive!
     

    Hello from Healdsburg!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing you, Corinne, Patrick and meeting your family on New Years Day. Novel idea, ringing in the new year wearing a bathing suit in a hot tub.....!
    See you soon. Cheers, Tricia


    If you must play, decide on three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time. -Chinese proverb  

No comments:

Post a Comment