Monday 11 March 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Monday, March 11th

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. -Heraclitus, philosopher (500 BCE) 

Soda Rock Winery!


P,

You missed a good rice lasterday, although wind was high and sky was dark.

Bridge Friday should work for me -- thanks. The gals will be up on Grouse that evening.

Weather looks frightening this week. We may have to suffer a wet ride if the rain really hits – a high wire act in the fog?

Condolences appreciated. W


Hi Giggenheimer!

Pleased that you managed a terrific ancient grain overmorrow! Glad you can join us for bridge on Friday. Would you like to stay for dinner as well? Let me know and we'll plan accordingly.

Decided to make up for my lack of cycling over last two days so I set out shortly after 1:00pm. Most pleasant as there were few people about, initially, (quite overcast and grey at times), and only a slight wind, at least until I was past Brockton Point. Still, it was wonderful and I sped along, doing the Prospect Hill Loop six times before heading for the Heartbreak Terrace.


On the third ascent, another chap pulled alongside and we chatted all the way to the top. He belongs to a Masters club, Velo something or other, out of the West End. Around $65 annual membership, $68 for the club's Lycra jersey and cycling insurance, (around $20-$30, I think), from BC Masters Cycling Association. We introduced ourselves and Brian said that the groups he rides with average about 30-35 KPH on the flat but he can't keep up with most of the riders on the climbs. He said he rides in most of the major races, Whistler, Penticton, etc. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with him on the climb. Whether he was going easy on me or not I don't know. However, he sped off once we crested the slight hill past Prospect Point, as I thought he would, racing handlebars and all. He was circling, waiting for me near the bottom of the hill where one comes out from the Seawall to head towards the firetruck/playground. I asked him how fast he had made it down and he said that he'd clocked 61 KPH. I was struggling to break 50 KPH but I was pleased to have done so on each descent. Most around 51-52 KPH but best was 54.7 KPH. Anyway, a very friendly chap and certainly made that loop more enjoyable.

By the time I was on the second round the wind had started to blow and there was fairly strong head-wind from the Rowing Club all the way to the point where on leaves the Seawall for the road to climb to Prospect Point. Still, my legs felt pretty good after two days of rest, so I didn't blaspheme muchly. However, scads and scads of tourists, by the third loop, both walking and cycling on the SP sections of the Seawall, many not paying the slightest attention to my bell so I had to come to almost a complete stop numerous times. (Potential Catastrophe but mercifully avoided!!!!) Of course, many of the cyclists would stop to take pictures and literally place their bikes across the path. Felt like knocking some of the so-positioned barriers over as I went past, saying "Sorry", mimicking what a couple of Japanese riders said to me when they almost rode into me, head-on, coming as they were, from the still closed portion of the Seawall.

Still, I was more than happy to have escaped any precipitation whatsoever and surged home with 8.4 K on my odometer, over 3:48:20, AVG 21.4 KPH, MAX 54.7 KPH. My next goal, (When loft and weather allow!), is 100 K but I'll have to fool myself into that distance as it'll require eight loops, with a small dispsy-doodle on the downside of Prospect Hill. Will chat soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Gail and Jack!

Trust you are both well!  I do apologize for not sending along a message sooner. Before I forget, with respect to LinkedIn, [As opposed to your "Linkinup"! Perhaps you should start a new social medium and become a trillionaire!), I only signed up, ages ago, in response to a request from a friend, to learn a bit about the system. Basically, it is a network intended for professionals, of one sort or another, to make connections in business. I don't use it for that reason, obviously, since I'm retired, nor wanted to do so even when working. Same applies to facebook, for that matter, as my first choice for email, preferring to write directly to those with whom I communicate regularly. However, I continue to subscribe to both as a way to keep in touch with some friends around the world who belong to one or the other or both. Of course, these systems depend on advertising revenue so one is always being bombarded with "offers" of one sort or another. In fact, since travelling for two or three months, over the last few years, I am thinking quite seriously of severing my ties to these links before any planned trip as the amount of email becomes overwhelming if one is not able to delete on a regular, daily basis. 


A.A. Milne, Christopher Robin, and Winnie the Pooh!
Ironically, at the moment I am literally "ploughing" through over 300 messages, sifting out the wheat form the chaff, the harvest of our last trip! However, to the extent that I use social media I do enjoy the serendipitous quality of some of the material that comes my way and usually incorporate bits and pieces into my own blog. This is really nothing more than a daily journal which I enjoy keeping, (Most of my family and many, many friends think I'm nuts. I cause them to roll their eyes and shake their heads when, in my defense, I claim that I am a misunderstood artist!! Of course, I have no illusion about being a writer but I simply enjoy trying to describe my life and the events around me and don't really fig if anyone cares or not. Cares to read the blog or cares what I write and/or how I write. Selfish, egotistical, I suppose but I'm not fussed, one iota. In the final analysis it is but a record of my thoughts and impressions of time passing and I would much rather spend my allotted portion trying to understand the craft of writing, (You cannot, I believe, write unless you write, write, write.), as one, in "better, less complicated" days, (Were there ever such?), perhaps, may have kept a diary.

Now, rant over, to the present! As it is and has been, ever since returning, we seem to be busier than ever and have simply not had a moment to catch our collective wits. Primarily has to do with working on the loft so that we can finally de-nest Chloë! Arrived home on February 17th. Had a wonderful, wonderful time everywhere we visited, from Sint Maarten to New Orleans to Dallas to LA to Simi Valley but those tales need to wait until we next visit, in person!)


Assume you are still in Florida. When are you back on Orcas? Fondestos from Cora Lee and Chloë. Cheers, Patrizzio!


  • Nadienka Wyss

    Hope and trust you and your lovely family are doing great? We should try to catch up on Skype soon!? Miss you and your crumpy mood and controlling behavior!
  • Patrick James Dunn

    I assume you mean "grumpy" but who knows as you never paid the slightest bit of attention to my doomed attempts to improve your vocabulary, diction and pronunciation!
    Nadienka Wyss
    Well no, that's the new word - a mixture between cruel&grumpy so I'll only use it while describing you. And just for the record, it's hard to keep up proper English if there's no one correcting me all the time!
    • Patrick James Dunn Regarding "crumpy", I'm rather impressed with your creation of a new word! Perhaps my tutoring efforts have finally paid dividends! Bravo Reluctant Homework Doer!
     
Hi Pat and David!

Trust you are both well!  I do apologize for not sending along a message sooner. Glad you found the snaps of New Orleans. Pat, have you convinced David to come to Vancouver? Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!


To read fast, [Quickly!] is as bad as to eat in a hurry. -Vilhelm Ekelund, poet (1880-1949) 



Hi Bev and Kev!

Trust you are both well!  I do apologize for not sending along a message sooner. As it is and has been, ever since returning from our recent two month trip, we seem to be busier than ever and have simply not had a moment to catch our collective wits. Primarily has to do with working on the loft so that we can finally de-nest Chloë!
 

Left December 12th to drive to LA to spend Christmas with Ayn and Los Horridos. Arrived home on February 17th. Had a wonderful, wonderful time everywhere we visited, from Sint Maarten, Caribbbean, to New Orleans to Dallas to LA to Simi Valley but those tales need to wait or this email will never be finished! 

Let us know how life is treating you in Perth. Fondestos from Cora Lee, Chloë and Maggie. Cheers, Patrizzio, High Wire Artiste Extraordinaire!!! 

  • Patrick James Dunn Hello Dearest Host Daughter! Please send me your current email address,  other than facebook, as I have a lengthy messagio! Your Cruel Host Father!
  • Nadienka Wyss Oh that one doesn't exist anymore, as I had to escape somehow from all these spam mails! Sorry for not telling you my current one dearest Host Father.

Hi Nadienka, Anna Maria Tremonte and Rudi Ruddenheimer!!

Happy New Year!!! Trust you are all well! I do apologize for not sending along a message sooner. (No excuses but plenty of reasons!) Thank you all for the lovely gifts. It was like having Christmas morning all over again when we returned to open our mail from you. Most thoughtful, indeed, and we certainly appreciate your thinking about us.

As it is and has been, ever since returning, we seem to be busier than ever and have simply not had a moment to catch our collective wits. Primarily has to do with working on the loft so that we can finally de-nest Chloë! We might well see you in Switzerland this coming September/October as we plan to arrive in London on July 10th. Imagine we will spend a few days there and then we will train to York where we have friends, Chris and Jim. From there we hope to visit Somerset where Cora Lee has some distant relatives and then on to Truro where we will do a house-exchange for all of August.



David Kessler
I am jealous of friends in New York who can see this show over the months ahead....

Of course, you are more than welcome to visit us in Cornwall, over August, so please think about that. As well, I'm trying to stitch together a week or two, in Languedoc, cycling from a rented farmhouse as base, at the beginning of September. I'm hoping that Jim  might possibly be interested in joining the Peleton there as well, particularly as he is so enamoured of French wine and cheeses. Cora Lee and The Sisterhood will be lollygagging around Italy for three weeks, after Cornwall, so I have arranged to have some nubile Swedish masseuses stay to work out the daily cycling kinks! Whirlygig is interested in joining me but seems more interested in the massage end of things although he cannot decide whether to request a blonde or brunette!

Trust, as I mentioned earlier, that all goes well in The Land of Clockwork Precision. Fondestos from Cora Lee, Chloë. and Maggie. Cheers, Patrizzio, High Wire Artiste Extraordinaire! and Cruel Host Father!

Nice hearing from you.  Seems like you didn't get to tired tripping around the States. 

Now I need to know how Corinne painted the wall.  Did the red go on & then the yellow highlights or the other way around.  I think you said she put in some plaster and used a big scrub brush so she got texture.  I don't think I want the texture part.  I just want to make a salmonish color with some yellow highlights.  I saw a hibiscus with the exact colors.  but I am afraid I won't get the yellow hilites right.  I Thought you might give me an idea of order b/4 I really screw up. Gail



Hi Gail!

I forwarded your message to Cora Lee as she is the colour expert. Actually, I'm not even allowed to have anything to do with choosing colours. I am, allowed, however, to vacuum, do dishes and laundry. Cheers, Patrizzio The Scullion!  


Hello! Not sure where you'll be on the weekends over the rest of
March, but Harobed Designs is taking part in three craft sales.

The first is this coming Sunday, March 17, in Elmira, ON.

Even if you can't get out to the show yourself, please share this
event with all those you know in South-western Ontario. Elmira can be
easily reached from Guelph...Kitchener-Waterloo... Cambridge...etc.

Details are on my blog at:

http://inside-outstyleanddesign.blogspot.com

And I'll send you another email shortly about the show I'm taking part in next! Deborah


Hi Runway Woman!

If you are not making movies you are busy designing clothes!  Onward! Banish dem Winter Blues! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment