Tuesday 19 March 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Tuesday, March 19th

We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy -- sun, wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that. -Thomas Edison, inventor (1847-1931) 

Siete Fuegos Asado
Pat,

thank you for your kind words last night.  We are headed to the 'Loops to spend a couple days skiing before we go to K'lowna for the memorial service. I hope to be back early Sunday evening. 

I have been watching the snow reports for the Coq over the past couple days and it looks a little dodgy. We will probably go up the canyon instead. 

It was indeed a lovely day lasterday. Cobby and I walked to the beach with malt in hand late afternoon -- 1.33 kilometres -- a paltry 33 litres. 

Fond regards to the gals. Be well, G 
Daguerreotype of Lowell "Mill Girls," c.1840
Hi folks, not a problem to change our dinner date. At the moment Saturday, Sunday and Monday are all open.  There is also the possibility of lunch as well. Let me know what works for you, Ann
Thanks for wishes of Buona Fortuna! Last 2 shows hopeless, not just
for me but for all vendors. I last had dinner with Ann about 2 weeks
ago when we went to The Swan on Queen West. More soon...Deborah
"Dickens's favorable impression would have been reinforced by the de­sign of the mill village. The attractive arrangement of the buildings, the walkways and plantings along the canals, the attention to cleanliness and order, as recently reconstructed, is quite beautiful. (The Scottish 'new town' movement was much in the air when Lowell was in Scotland, al­though he doesn't seem to have visited any sites.) And farm girls who had never been far from their villages were easier to impress than Dickens. They had much more privacy at the mill than on the farm, and compared to mill work, farmwork was dirty, brutally hard, and often dangerous. Farm life could also be isolating, and the girls seem to have taken great de­light in meeting and living with so many girls of their own age. It's no sur­prise that most of them seem to have remembered the mills with fondness."

 Shakespeare purchased a home in Stratford-upon-Avon called "New Place," a sketch from 1737.

Hi Tippler Whirlage!

Thanks for last few messagios. I have perused them with relish! Sorry I missed you lasterday even. I assume you were packing and spit on interruptions. I gather you are intent on challenging the Fates, foist the hurricadoes scouring Arthur Laing and now the mounting snowdrifts swirling through the mountain passes of the dark and menacing Coquastrophe! I trust you will survive the latter as you did the former.

Not sure if I mentioned it or not but had a long chat with Big Al on Saturday. Great to catch up as time simply whizzes by, almost like you and Robo Man out to Iona!!! He sent me a number of cycling links as we were talking about riding near their new cabin, just past Hope. Have only had time to take a cursory look. Anyway, here they are:



I know Raymondo is keen on Kettle Valley so I'll send these to him as well.

 
Well, time to sign off. Obviously, you need to up your tipplage. A palty 33 L indeed! Hardly worth mentioning. I expectorate more than that! Rather disturbing to note that, of late, you and Jacob Two Two seem to be doing nought but sipping lattes or maltage. What is all this bafflegab about rebuilding bikes and svelte cycling garb? You might as well strap on some roller blades and hang out near the Rowing Club! Nothing more than tawdry imitations, pale shades of boat shrouded Barnacle Man, closet latte lovers one suspects. Nevertheless, take care of each other on the slopes and at the memorial service. Fondestos to Kerry and Tia Maria. Travel safely. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Patrik

S.jOSEPH DAY. My good cousin send me.
On this day by be alone, is a comfort.
I SEND ROSE and my grandaughter 15 for spring
breack. To Italy to visit relatives and the country
to get to know where we came from.
  The picture is little too much to swallow.
   my grammar is not the best,be patient, ciao joe This is the present for my birthday march 19  
Happy St Joseph's Day, Joe!

Wonderful that Rose and your granddaughter are visiting Italy. What a terrific trip for both of them. Perhaps you'll receive an Aston Martin as a birthday present as compensation for not going along!

Been busy here, last few weeks, working on the loft, (We have owned it, on Wall Street in East Van, since 1998. Chloë lived there initially but we rented  it out when she was travelling and working elsewhere in Canada. Needed new flooring in the loft area, painting, cleaning, etc.), which Chloë will be moving back into in a week or so.

Once again, all the best from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Your birthday money! 

Thanks Patrick, I've added you to the list. I'm in the Barber Learning Centre - 1961 East Mall, Room 202. Cheers, Harry

Hi again, Deborah!

Sorry to hear about disappointing last two shows. Trust next one will be better.

Been busy here, last few weeks, working on the loft, (We have owned it, on Wall Street in East Van, since 1998. Chloë lived there initially but we rented  it out when she was travelling and working elsewhere in Canada. Needed new flooring in the loft area, painting, cleaning, etc.), which Chloë will be moving back into in a week or so. Once again, all the best from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi folks, not a problem to change our dinner date. At the moment Saturday, Sunday and Monday are all open.  There is also the possibility of lunch as well. Let me know what works for you, Ann

Hi again, Ann!

Thanks for quick reply. If Saturday still suits, plan to come over anytime between 6:00-6:30pm. Give us a shout once you are in town to let us know you have arrived safely and confirm date still works for you. I mention this as I know from our own out-of-town visits how meetings with friends and/or relatives sometimes need to be adjusted. Or send a message. Otherwise, all being well we'll see you on April 13th. Cheers, Patrizzio!





Giant Fish Sculptures Made from Discarded Plastic Bottles in Rio!
some folks wrinkle their noses when I tell them I moved to a loft in Valley Glen but my Van Nuys zip code is boasting some of the loveliest streets I've ever laid eyes on in Cali...#urbanwoman #powerwalking
  • Patrick James Dunn Couldn't agree more, Urban Powerwalking Momma! From a cycling point of view, as well, a wonderful spot indeed!
     
    • Mike Adan My Van Nuys zip code is killing my Sherman Oaks car insurance rates
    • Bart Fisher #walktall
    • Ayn P Poppa I am on the busway path as I write this! !!
Hi Thomas!

Thank you for forwarding Erich's obituary. Very thoughtful of you. Trust things are going as well as can be expected for Nola, family and friends.

Today I just rode, in the main, to do a few errands. First went to Mountain Equipment Co-op to buy some Nuun tablets, electrolyte enhanced drink tabs. One dissolves them in a water bottle and they seem to help prevent cramping. Whirlygig introduced them to me about six months ago so I finally decided to get around to buying a supply. Took a look a cycling jackets but didn't like selection available. Not enough pockets on models in stock. I like to have room to carry keys, sun glasses, etc. I'm more concerned about utility rather than sleek fashion sense. My current jacket, (A hand-me-down from Cora Lee. No longer stylish enough, a number of years ago!), is starting to fall apart so I really need something, especially with all the rain we have been having.

After MEC I rode to a door handle/lock dealership off Clarke Drive to pick up a new fixture for the loft door. Original fixture was about 15 years old and lock was not working properly so whole thing had to be replaced. Once my errands were finished it was 3:30pm so I decided I'd do a quick run around Stanely Parkl as rain which was forecast had not materialized. Store is only about ten blocks form Science World so I was soon making for English Bay. Hadn't realize until I was about half way to SP that the wind was just as fierce as yesterday but coming from the opposite direction! I decided to take a quik jog around Coal Harbour towards Canada Place and I could barely make any headway at times, so strong were the gusts. Today there were whitecaps on the surface of the inner harbour while English Bay was as flat as a mirror. 

Ride back from Canada Place/Convention Centre was great as wind was at my back and I literally hurtled along. Funnily enough, when I started around Stanley park itself, wind was not as angry as I thought it would be. Part had to do with the shelter afforded by some of the trees alongside the dedicated bike path but also the direction of the wind itself. Once around Brockton Point the wind seemed to come at me sideways so I did benefit, to a certain degree. This was a mixed blessing as the unrelenting gusts carried a fine mist/light rain but once I'd reached the bottom of the Prospect Point Hill I was almost completely sheltered. Didn't feel any drops at all until I was around the bottom of English Bay, past the point where Beach Ave skirts the intersection of Davie and Denman,. By this time I didn't really care, especially since the sun was trying to poke its way through the massed clouds piled over Point Grey.

Managed to make it all the way home without really being wet so was quite pleased. Also happy about the ride itself as it was a good stretch for my legs after yesterday's outing. (Only 51.37 K, over 2:47:35, AVG18.3 KPH, MAX51.2 KPH, [Achieved according to the "theory" espoused above!], but with stopping and starting to run errands, it isn't an "official" ride!) About half an hour later I dropped Cora Lee off downtown and it was just pelting down. Would have been completely drenched/soaked/waterlogged if I'd been out any longer so I'm counting my lucky stars.

Time to head downtown now to pick up Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Lucy; Stephanie, Will, Cora Lee; Mom and daughter.
 


Hi Chuckerini!

Back binging in the bacon, I see! Did Michaelo pass along some of the snaps I sent of the evening last February. If not, let me know and I'll send them to you. Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

Thank you, Patrick. I never stopped bringing home the bacon, but now I can show up with premium microbrews as well. Cheers to you and yours ...

Hi again, Back Bacon Man!

What about premium malts? Cheers,Il Conduttore!

No comments:

Post a Comment