Sunday 31 March 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Sunday, March 31st, Easter!

Words form the thread on which we string our experiences. -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)  


Easter (also called the Pasch or Pascha) is a Christian festival and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion at Calvary as described in the New Testament. Easter is the culmination of the Passion of Christ, preceded by Lent, a forty-day period of fasting, prayer, and penance. The last week of Lent is called Holy Week, and it contains the days of the Easter Triduum, including Maundy Thursday (also known as Holy Thursday), commemorating the Last Supper and its preceding foot washing,as well as Good Friday, commemorating the crucifixion and death of Jesus. Easter is followed by a fifty-day period called Eastertide, or the Easter Season, ending with Pentecost Sunday.

Like I said...speggtacular!!
P,

Great sprint lasterday - thanks. Hope your dinner was tasty and suitably raucous without any untoward grumpiness from the Duster. We saw some great jazz at the Cellar. Get there if you can - wonderful venue, good food and hootch.  Looks unlikely I will get in a ride today. I will be hopping all over town like the proverbial Easter bunny. Will need a ride tomorrow if you don't go over your quota today. Best of the holiday to you & the gals from all of us, W


Our next gathering will be next Sunday, 7 April, 2013 at the Islay Inn.
The book is Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie (Moe). Guy has Chosen The Sisters Brothers  by Patrick DeWitt to follow the Massie. We will read Indian Horse by Richard Wagamis (George) after the DeWitt. Kurt will choose the book to follow the Wagamis.

Tiffany Nice
 P,

be sure to catch the piece on Slang at the beginning of today's Sunday Edition -- CBC Radio 1. Brilliant and hilarious too. You will need it to do translation in UK. W

The newest edition to the household

  • Patrick James Dunn Congratulations, Kid Canine!!!

    Hi Sherpa Rabbit!

    Thanks for Easter wishes. In fact, we had a lovely meal. All went well on all fronts so it was a most pleasant evening indeed. Your jazz outing sounded terrific. Like to hear more about it. Sorry that you were not able to join me on the post as it was a grand and glorious day. Given that the weather was so wonderful I decided UBC was the best bet, for crowds, etc., so I decided to head there. Was going to take 4th all the way to Blanca but there were so many vehicles in the right-hand turn lane at 4th and NWMD that I was forced to take a look at Spanish Banks. In fact, it wasn't overly busy once I was riding parallel to the beach and traffic presented few if any difficulties. Once on MD I was able to draft behind a young man and woman and hit between 40-45 KPH all the way to just before where the thoroughfare dog-legs to the right, to Kullahun Drive, leading to Shaughnessy Golf  & Country Club. By then my legs were burning and I had to slow down. Nevertheless, the push held me in good stead as far as my overall time went so I was pleased, especially since the female cyclist had a rather curvaceous posterior!!! 


    Did the Crown/Musqueam Loop and then up Camosun, (Happened to turn up Wallace off MD as traffic pushed me past Crown on second pass and I was delighted to ride through a tunnel of cherry blossoms. Could actually smell their perfume as this section of street was sunny and sheltered.), to follow 39th past St George's to Imperal and 16th. Back to Camosun and MD and then back to Wesbrook Mall to cycle all the new streets in Wesbrook Village. Back to MD and then to 16th, up the hill and all the way to Tolmie, then to 11th and back to Blanca to 16th. Into campus at East Mall and then a minor variation on the West Mall/main Mall loop to register  57 K by the time I hit MD at Stadium Drive.

    It was literally a Race Against Time as I had orders to be home by 6:00pm so that I could shower an dchange before dinner with Durstons at the Annexe. I was at the bottom of the Foreshore Hill at 5:33pm but with a tail wind I knew i could make it to the Heart Break Terrace with enough wriggle room to keep everyone happy. And that is how it played out: 72.0 K over 3:14:49, AVG 22.1 KPH, MAX 56.P KPH. Starting to feel as if my legs and lungs are adapting to the pace at 22 KPH so I trust I can work on improving that AVG. On future rides, it might be interesting to draft on MD, much as we do out to Iona to seek a bit of relief from the wind. In this case, heading east, with the slight down grade, we could push the pace from the Botanical Gardens to Crown. Anyway, just a rumination!


    Thanks for the CBC hint. I'll look on the website later tonight or tomorrow. I'm up for a ride, pretty well anytime so let me know what suits. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


    PS: Thought you might be interested in Stormin' Normin's sale.


    Hello Senior Gardeners!

    Thanks for the Easter wishes. Your front yard looks more than terrific! In fact, Whirlygig and I cycled past yesterday afternoon, hoping to catch you lounging on the back deck, after our ride out to Iona. we met at 3rd and Macdonald and took MD all the way to Arthur Laing. Head wind was as brisk as the day before so we traded off leading/drafting and managed to keep up a fairly steady pace. Funnily enough, I noted that I logged about 22-23 KPH when in front, dropping to around 21 KPH when behind. Not as much work in that position, however.

    We flew along on return leg, once again between 33-36 KPH and didn't even feel like we were exerting ourselves. Opted for Heather as opposed to back along MD as both of us dreaded the thought of bucking the same head wind again. I accompanied Whirlage home, after we'd scoped out your new front yard, as I was happy with ride and had a few chores to accomplish before guests arrived. Was back at the HBT with 62.2 K over 2:53:01, AVG 21.5 KPH, MAX 51.3 KPH.

    Dinner was a lovely affair. Rosita baked the ham to perfection. For appetizers we did fried Haloumi, a Cypriot cheese, with olives and sliced tomatoes. Rosie baked an angel food cake for dessert and she heaped fresh raspberries and whipped cream on top so that was another hit,let me tell you. Flamin' was just back from Dartmouth and Joan Woodbury, a junior high classmate from Isaac Brock in Winnipeg, were both along so we had plenty to chat about. All went well on all fronts so it was a most pleasant evening indeed.

    Giorgio and I are up for a ride, pretty well anytime tomorrow, so let us know what suits, if you'd like to get out. Doesn't have to be to Deep Cove or Horseshoe Bay! Cheers, Il Conduttore!



     




No comments:

Post a Comment