Wednesday 27 March 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Wednesday, March 27th

Compassion is the basis of morality. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788-1860)


All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event -- in the living act, the undoubted deed -- there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. -Herman Melville, novelist and poet (1819-1891) 

We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin. -Andre Berthiaume, novelist (b. 1938)  



True teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross; then, having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create their own. -Nikos Kazantzakis, poet and novelist (1883-1957) 

We should be slower to think that the man at his worst is the real man, and certain that the better we are ourselves the less likely is he to be at his worst in our company. Every time he talks away his own character before us he is signifying contempt for ours. -James M. Barrie, novelist, short-story writer, and playwright (1860-1937)  

Hi Dad,
I printed your photo out and will bring it home for you, but thought you might like the image for your blog or facebook or something along those lines!!! xx

Hi Chloë!

Thanks very much! Have already managed to save it in picture format, (png), so was able to use it in my blog posting! Cheers, Dad!


So add this to your schedule Fancy Retirees!

 
Also, you can do laps at the college a few blocks away in their amazing pool so you don’t have to worry about your precious carbon fiber wheels!

LAVC’s Pool is Open to the Community
Community members are welcome to use LAVC’s Olympic-sized pool at designated times during the week.  The pool in the Aquatics Center is also open for lap swimming on Monday-Friday from 6-9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; there is a charge for pool usage, payable through Community Services. For more information, contact the LAVC Community Services Office at (818) 947-2577. Ayn                          Looks great! Mom

Hi Tinsel Town:

Sounds more than wonderful/delightful! Perhaps we should stay for a month!!! Have attached a picture of me laying a wreath on the corner of Valour Road and Portage Avenue on Remembrance Day, 1961. I was chosen by my classmates to carry the wreath from the Isaac Brock School auditorium, at the end of the service, the three or so blocks, to place it beneath the plaque commemorating the three Canadian soldiers who were awarded the Victoria Cross. From Wikipedia:


Valour Road is a street in the West End of Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was originally called Pine Street. In 1925, it was renamed as Valour Road in recognition of the courage of three young men who all lived on the 700 block of the street and all served in the First World War. Corporal Leo Clarke, Sergeant-Major Frederick William Hall, and Lieutenant Robert Shankland each received the Victoria Cross for acts of bravery during the war.
The inscription on the Victoria Cross is "For Valour".

My parents bought me a new winter coat for the ceremony! This is the school reunion I will be attending after Alejandro's graduation. Really looking forward to the pool. Thanks, Fondestos, Love and Cheers Poppa "We Don't Need No stinkin' Carbon Fibre Bikes, Only Skimpy Speedo Trunks" San!

 Hi Joan!

Finally managed to extract a date from Sarge. Saturday is best for him as Flamin' is returning that afternoon. Sunday they will be having dinner with their youngest son and his girlfriend's family from Kamloops. Trust Saturday is still fine with you. Anytime after 6:00pm. We live at #20, 604-734-9200. I assume you know how to get here since you've visited Joanne. If you come around the west side of our building and walk up or down the path, (depending on how you approach Harbour Terrace), you will see our patio and walkway. There is a hanging sign, Island Inn, with a cat on it. Most of our friends come this way as it provides quicker access. Anyway, give us a call if you are having trouble. Otherwise, we'll look forward to seeing you this coming Saturday, around sixish.

Thanks for the offer of bringing something. Don't worry about food but a bottle of wine is always welcome. See you soon, Joan. Cheers, Patrizzio! 



Ok Patrizzio!
Good pic of you!  Didn't know you were famous!!


I shall come to your place by way of the path (since for years I have wondered who lived there!) and shall bring wine!


Thanks again for the invitation !!  Look forward to the visit!  (see if I can find my grade 6 school picture..  think I have one somewhere)


I ASSume dress is casual?
Cheers! Jdubya                         Dear Ms Woodbury!

Dinner is ALWAYS Formal at the Islay Inn! Please wear your Grade Six School uniform. Cheers, Patrizzio!  
Will do...  !


Hello Official Vacationeers!

Very pleased that you clarified your official travel status as I will be seeing Ingrid Parent this coming Wednesday at a UBC Library Emeritii Luncheon, (She will be speaking, bringing us up to date. When I dropped off my payment this past Monday I couldn't find the Librarian's Office. Didn't think I'd ever be so disoriented in a place/space I studied/worked in for over 30 years!), in the Dodson Room and, otherwise, I would have had to ask her if she knew about misappropriation of sabbatical funds/time!

Glad you have bikes with which to explore. That should be fun. Buona Fortuna with the laundry. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


 Hi Patrick,

I was at Isaac from 1949 to 1957. Happy Easter. Elaine

Hi Elaine!

Missed you by two years! Started in 1959 after our family moved from Eliott Lake, Ontario. Went to Daniel Mac afterwards. All the best to you for a Happy Easter as well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat and Ted
We would like to share an evening with you all, before Dusty and Clara head East, and to celebrate Ted's retirement. Can you join us on any of the above dates?  Cheers Mick PS: There is still a "sampling" of Sonoma wine left.

Hi Lads!

Lovely invitation indeed. We are free on Friday, the 5th, or Saturday, the 6th. Let us know when you know and what we can contribute, other than hootch! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Raymondo!



Today was a work day as Dusty and I returned to the loft at 2:00pm. (Cora was running errands earlier so we had to wait for her return.) We replaced a broken spring on the dishwasher door and then Dusty changed the light switches and wall plugs to updated models. I came along behind him, affixing covers and vacuuming. Did about two thirds of all the outlets. Need to go back to Home Depot for more electrical hardware as Chloë would like a light in her clothes closet. Dusty can run a feed off an outlet located in the cubby hole containing the hot water tank so all we need is the appropriate wiring and one or two outlet boxes. Hard to believe that there is probably two or three more days of work/moving ahead. And then we start painting the bedroom which Chloë vacated!

Sarge just came upstairs to ask me if I wanted to curl with him tomorrow evening. Flamin' is still in Dartmouth and Prince Valiant is off to Kamloops for the Easter weekend. I'm more than happy to fill in as I have not seen Brenda, one of the people Corinne and I curled with when we first started, for sometime. Should be fun. Will see if I still have the touch with my "stick", the one Dusty made for me out of an old broom handle and a jam tin!

I do hope to go for a ride tomorrow so let me know if that might work for you. I have to return to the loft and will probably be there until noon. If you are riding and need to leave earlier, go ahead, as at this point, I don't know exactly when I'll be back.
Perhaps we could chat around 9:00am. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Greetings from The Can't Remember Your Name Because You Have So Many Place!

Hi Raymondo/Giggenheimer!

You reminded me so much of Robo Man, off the tether on our ride, that I addressed the message to you instead of him. Don't blame me! (I'm learning tactics from The Sisterhood!)

At any rate, you are one to talk: "I'll pick up the Rankin when it is convenient." How about the Kerr, laddie!!!

Give me a shout about riding tomorrow, as outlined in earlier, misdirected messagio. Are you free/interested in bridge on Friday? What time? Sarge is on for the Wrath Fiend Express. Cheers, Naming Disordered Individual and Proud of It! 




No comments:

Post a Comment