Monday 11 March 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Tuesday, March 12th

I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. -Jose Ortega Y Gasset, philosopher and essayist (1883-1955)

Spring flowers On a Hillside. Hokkaido, Japan.

Hi Patrick

Pick up from York will be fine -so long as its daylight as I haven't invested in lights. 14 miles to Wetherby or similar so you will just have loosened off by the time we arrive back- no hills either. I shall set up the exercise bike so that you can do some HIT on arrival.

Are there any particular spots you and Corinne fancy seeing "up north"?

I expect to take you on some local rides ( not 120km ) while the girls could go into Harrogate, York  for example. Not sure how much you already know of the area- I remember you had visited the National Library near here at one stage.

My favourites include Bolton Abbey and Grassington, Middleham Castle, Hambleton Hills and I quite like by the river in Knareborough. Plenty of countryside walks and rides around Wetherby from the house. York Minster, Ripon Cathedral, Fountains Abbey, Castle Howard and Harewood House are all close by if you like historic buildings.

The Dales and the Moors and the North Yorks coast are easy day trips away. If you fancy going to the Lake District I would recommend we stay overnight somewhere we know. Do you like walking- hills or flat? 

Mid July seems good for us in that Chris will not have any teaching or mentoring commitments. Chris and I will need to travel to Teesside to see mothers and Newcastle to visit Laura/William and Ed at some stage in which case you can travel with us or stay here. 

Still some snow in the garden here from last two days- daffodils flattened by frost and snow- not encouraging me to cycle especially after my earlier fall. 

My sister and husband just back from their usual jaunt to Barbados where they tell me they see many Canadians there for the winter- see their grandchildren via Skype- how heartless.

I keep getting itchy feet about Australia in winter - last times we were there was in 2007 and 2009. Pulled the other way with Willliam however. Ed has heard that he has been assigned to the Yorkshire area for his 2 year hospital work but needs now to apply for particular jobs so could end up in Sheffield or Hull but lets hope its near here.

I shall now brave the cold to clear the salt and debris from the car.

Hope your winter is ending before ours. Best wishes Jim



Hi again, Jim

Thanks for speedy reply in spite of the fact that you are scraping salt and debris from your car! Brings back fond memories of Winnipeg winters with -40º, C or F, as both the same temperature at this point, strangely enough! 
Thank you for the long, long, fascinating list of local sites and attractions. We really do not know the area/region at all so think it best to simply allow you to suggest trips/excursions, day or otherwise. We would certainly be up for walks of one kind or another but I think we'll have to see, at the time, how Cora Lee's foot is behaving. It does continue to give her some trouble, especially after extended time on it. An on-going frustration/limitation as you can well imagine. Probably some combination of bumbering, (Are you familiar with this term? Ambling, basically! What Ragin' Bull does on his bicycle, between coffee shops!!!), outing and then a full day of shopping/lattes will see her right!


We had, in fact, already thought we'd like to visit the Lake District so agree that a night there would be wonderful. Once again, we'd defer to you and your local knowledge. Althought I've been once, in the early '70's, I really don't know much about the area, other than visiting Wordsworth's cottage. Girlfriend I was with, at the time, had a close friend who owned the bookstore in either Grasmere or Windermere, not sure which, and we did visit/stay with them. Remember that their cottage had walls about two feet thick, solid stone! Still shiver at the thought of the cold bedroom, in late April, in spite of the daffodils! Great night at a local pub, as well. I'll ask Irene, my ex-girlfriend, (She now lives on a wonderful houseboat in Victoria.), if they, (Cannot, for the life of me, recall their names. The wife worked with Irene at a bookstore in Manchester and her husband was a philology student at the university, at the time.), are still there. Would be fun to see them after more than 30 years!

Be wonderful to ride, whenever possible, but don't worry about distances. I'm sure the hills will keep me in my place. On this matter, I'm actually wondering about buying a bike while in England, to use, obviously, while with you and then in Cornwall/France. Wondering if you might have any suggestions. I think that over the next few years, all going well, we will probably be returning to England/Europe as Cora Lee wishes to explore here rather than in OZ, per esempio. This being the case, I thought that I might as well have my own bike. If I do end up buying something, I know I am welcome to leave it with friends in London or Chabeuil. Furthermore, we are leaning towards joining up with Flamin' and Sarge and two other couples on their canal barge towards the end of September, cruising near Bordeaux. If we do this, I'd certainly want a decent bike to be able to go off and explore, away from river, leaving the rum-soaked deck hands to swab and negotiate locks!

In the same vein, have you given any thought to my suggestion regarding Languedoc? Don't worry if you, (Christine is more than welcome as well, it goes without saying.), are not interested or available as I'm confident that something or other will come about. Just a question of how many friends/acquaintances are interested. I've put the question to a number of people in Switzerland/Denmark/Sweden/Holland so it might turn into a UN Peleton! Anyway, not a big deal but let me know when you've had a chance to mull it over. Still need to make necessary inquiries so still plenty of time to weigh options.

Nevertheless, since you seem to be leaning towards the latte/beer crowd with respect to riding, I've decided I'd better try to trim down as much as possible beforehand. To this end, decided to make up for my lack of cycling over last few days so I set out shortly after 1:00pm, yesterday. Most pleasant as there were few people about, initially, (quite overcast and grey at times though not a drop of rain), and only a slight wind, at least until I was past Brockton Point. Still, it was wonderful and I sped along, doing the Prospect Hill Loop six times before heading for the Heartbreak Terrace. 

 Sunset at the new pool at The Vines Resort and Spa, Mendoza

On the third ascent, another chap pulled alongside and we chatted all the way to the top. He belongs to a Masters club, Velo something or other, out of the West End. Around $65 annual membership, $68 for the club's Lycra jersey and cycling insurance, (around $20-$30, I think), from BC Masters Cycling Association. We introduced ourselves and Brian, (He is 65 as well.), said that the groups he rides with average about 30-35 KPH on the flat but he can't keep up with most of the other riders on the climbs. He said he rides in most of the major races, Whistler, Penticton, etc. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with him on the climb. Whether he was going easy on me or not I don't know. However, he sped off once we crested the slight hill past Prospect Point, as I thought he would, racing handlebars and all. He was circling, waiting for me near the bottom of the hill where one comes out from the Seawall, if one rides around the park this way, to head towards the firetruck/playground. I asked him how fast he had made it down and he said that he'd clocked 61 KPH. I was struggling to break 50 KPH but I was pleased to have done so on each descent. Most around 51-52 KPH but best was 54.7 KPH. Anyway, a very friendly chap and his company certainly made that loop more enjoyable. He waved goodbye, heading for the West End and I started on the fourth circuit.

By the time I was on the second round the wind had started to blow and there was fairly strong head-wind from the Rowing Club all the way to the point where on leaves the Seawall for the road to climb to Prospect Point. Still, my legs felt pretty good after two days of rest, so I didn't blaspheme muchly. However, scads and scads of tourists, by the third loop, both walking and cycling on the SP sections of the Seawall, many not paying the slightest attention to my bell so I had to come to almost a complete stop numerous times. (Potential CATASTROPHE but mercifully avoided!!!! My feet never touched the ground!) Of course, many of the "recreational" cyclists would stop to take pictures and literally place their bikes across the path. Felt like knocking some of the so-positioned barriers over as I went past, saying "Sorry", mimicking what a couple of weaving riders said to me when they almost rode into me, head-on, coming as they were, from the still closed portion of the Seawall.

Still, I was more than happy to have escaped any precipitation whatsoever and surged home with 81.4 K on my odometer, over 3:48:20, AVG 21.4 KPH, MAX 54.7 KPH. My next goal, (When loft and weather allow!), is 100 K but I'll have to fool myself into that distance as it'll require eight loops, with a small dispsy-doodle on the downside of Prospect Hill. All the best from Madame Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patricio,

Thanks for the congrats. It is wonderful and we had a great time. I need to
read through and will respond at length however I'm working a film day so
will not be able to get to it until later. I just wanted to let you know as
I was slow to respond, have a great day and I'll get back soon. Cheers, Al

Hi Patrick,

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. My aunt, who was only 67, passed away on Saturday (12:30 am). As it turned out, we did not go to Kelowna given her weakened condition. It happened so very, very quickly – she was a real spark and was one of those people who always made you feel welcome and special. My uncle, who has just learned to wash his own clothes, will be at a loss for some time to come. Luckily he has five sons that live near him.

I’ll have to remember to tell Tia about your comment regarding cards/postcards...I too am faced with a similar situation and could have Tia employed fulltime making pictures and cards for people!! In fact, sometimes I have to hold back because she doesn’t have time!

Thanks again Pat, you are so thoughtful, Kerry 

Hi Patrick,

Yes, of course, I just thought I would send it because you never know! I hope Chloe is enjoying her new job and excited about her new digs! Cheers to all, Kerry

Hi Kerry!

I did know about your not going to Kelowna but I didn't realize that your aunt Bella was only 67. That makes her death even more difficult, I suspect. With Sharktooth Annie at almost 99, having had a full, interesting life, one could more easily accept her death. Nevertheless, the Grim Reaper's harvest is always a hard one to face and understand.

On a brighter note, I think you should pull Tia out of school and set up a child slave-labour sweatshop churning out greeting cards. I'll handle distribution and get get Ragin' Bull to set up a web site, akin to Jacquie Lawson:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/

and we'll all be Millionaires! Toss Tia a few cheap trinkets, (Bread and water if output/quality falls!),  to keep her happy until she's of legal age. By then we won't care as we'll be swimming in money and malt!

With respect to the job posting, thanks again. Chloë wanted me to apologize for her as she had meant to reply but completely forgot in all the work/move commotion. As you mentioned, you never know what comes of these things, so she certainly appreciated your concern.

I gather you are on Grouse on Friday but we'll have to have some bridge when you are free. Can also take the opportunity to inform Tia about her/our new greeting card venture, her job description and piece work pay scale!

Cheers, Patrizzio "Donald Trump" Conduttore!

P,

Good that you got out lasterday -- although 8.4 kms total may be serious competition for the other underachievers in the peloton. 

As to the Japanese tourists: I will acquire some appropriate curses from our home stay student, Hikari. That way we will have some verbal artillery that may wake them when they refuse to hear the bell. 

I look forward to the cards on Friday -- and hope to actually get some.What hour are we dealing the first round? Thank you for the invite to dinner. At present I have committed to host my kids for dinner but as you know, all too well, their commitment is always fluid on their end.  

Please respond to the following e-mail address and delete the other one (Telus) from living memory: georgewmaddison@gmail.com

Enjoy your swim today whether that be walking or in the pool. W



RECOGNIZING A STROKE



Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.



Now doctors say a  bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:



S  *
Ask the individual to SMILE.

T  *
Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE  (Coherently)

(i.e. It is sunny out today.)


R
  *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.


If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.



New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue



NOTE:  Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other
that is also an indication of a stroke.
 


Hello Jugos Dom Pedro!

And I believed that Single Malt was blood thinner enough! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi I hope you sent me this message.

How are you?  We missed you guys after you left!
Did you have a great conclusion to your holiday?
All is well here, I am playing a little tennis, teaching yoga and running a little.

Anne Marie is the same, and Dennis works all day long so nothing has changed.

What is new with you?  Take care Rhoda Ron says to say hi to Patrizio!!
 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment