Friday 19 April 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Friday, April 19th

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. -Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910) 




Super cool is right I like the flooring and decor We had a lovely visit with them when they were here for Easter!

Goodness, Patrick,

Glad your email came in its usual length, and I judged you’re somewhat back to normal!  It’s quite amazing how mishaps happen so quickly, and mysteriously sometimes.  I realized I had not reported to you that we had bought myself a beautiful Trek Madone 4.5 or something.  Light baby blue with white and gold trim.  Have yet to take it out more often, since my little free alone time is mostly spent with our poor little pooches who spend the day by themselves.

 Only advice to you is that you might add warning label for your bloody shots!  Another warning label is a big sign to wear around your neck “PRONE TO INDUCE MYSTERY” as I don’t know how else to explain the heart attack at age 37!!!  Good that you were standing with him!   A little fine print on the label could be “100% survival rate, experience backed”

How is Chloe enjoying her new job/new career?  Our best regards! Ruth

Hi Ruthless and Gander Man!

Congratulations on your own Trek Madone, Ruth. Well done! Bravo!!! Is it a full carbon fibre? You'll be a cycling fiend soon!

Had to interrupt this message as Robo Man just popped by, briefly, to deliver two books and some reviews. Couldn't stay for any malt as he had tutoring shortly. We spent a few minutes chatting and he mentioned he'd cycled by 27th and Crown yesterday, going to another tutoring appointment, and confirmed that the road surface is smooth there. This reinforces my initial assessment that I caught my right pedal on the road as I veered towards curb. Anyway, it happened however it happened so now I've to concentrate on rehabilitation! Onward! Fight! 




Back from dottore about an hour ago. She seemed to think, under circumstances, I was doing pretty well. Tough old bird like Sharktooth Annie, I suppose! Dizziness, to the extent I experience it, is apparently caused by having "jolted" some inner ear sensors. I theorize that I had actually turned them off to shut out The Sisterhood's whining and whingeing and crash-landing re-invoked them. And here I thought the pulled groin was bad enough! She even gave me the green light to drive to Squamish tomorrow to see Ruth and Ricardo and even indulge in a glass of alcohol. Funnily enough, I actually don't feel much like imbibing, at present, so I know I am definitely not well! Anyway, I can sip a bit to be sociable so that is fine for now.

Simply love your line: “100% survival rate, experience backed!” Hope I never have to sue if life time guarantee lapses! ChloĆ« is quite enjoying Aunt Leah's although there is a very steep learning curve and she is being asked to do more and more. Busy girl indeed. Lately she's only had Sundays off as he works at GIB when not at AL.

Time to scullionate the kitchen in the wake of a Sisterhood Swath of Destruction for tonight's fest. Smells emanating from said war zone are tantalizing so cannot complain over much. Andre and Rosemary are back, Flamin' and Sarge and Jo-Anne will join party as well. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Disorientore!!!

Oh boy! Again! Why don't you start going on the bus instead? Or, seriously, swimming can't be that dangerous, considering they have life guards. And I just spent the night wondering if I have kidney stones. Would very much like to go to the movies with you. So let's organise something for the eventuality that we're still alive. Bestestos, Kjell (Jane sends her love)
Thanks Pat, we were happy to have you guys over. You're welcome any time! M 

so, let me get this straight.

you, being of sound mind, choose to cycle the dangerous streets of vancouver to provide for your better health & wellness?

you remind me of me: back in late 1983, i was hit w/ rheumatoid arthritis after a 250 lb drunk native aboriginal, ("indian") took my teeth out w/ the butt end of his hockey stick & sent my immune system spinning.

i only chose to play hockey in this "non-contact" league so as to build up my physical fitness."how ironic" hey pat, as i recall, this is your 2nd misadventure while cycling. it's just my "hubble" opinion but one more strike & you might be out. getting on, i'm already studying the idea of how to prepare your gyp-roc bed as you plan to stay w/ us in may.




best beware, your intended visit coincides w/ the exact day of the anticipated high-water, flood level which is coming our way. if, & only if, the flood water reaches you as you sleep down below, you have my permission to come up & join us in our upper level & dry bed. & if such is the case,  please, no snoring.

Dear Self-Depracator!

When I first read the message I thought it was from Cora Lee castigating me for my insistence on riding. Blame the victim! Great! Really appreciate the empathy and compassion. I knew you Winnipeggers were a tough lot but I thought you had a shred of sympathy beneath your tri-insulated, crocodile skin!

Funnily enough I was a tad concerned about the flood level coinciding with my visit. Since I'll probably be swimming for next little while I guess I'll bring along my goggles to wear to bed in anticipation of the levee giving way. From the frying pan into the flood waters, so to speak!

Snoring? If you hear snoring it will be Cora Lee's wind tunnel experiments for Boeing all the way from Granville Island. (Probably one of the main reasons the company is having trouble with their Dreamliner!) And the gyp-roc will seem like goose down compared to the bed of nails I usually am forced to lie upon.



I'm surprised you didn't mention the bugs. Perhaps I should reconsider going to some malarial swamp in Brazil instead of returning to Manitoba. I'm sure the piranha and indigenous cannibals will be friendlier than my own kith and kin. Fondestos and Cheers, Chester! 

Hi Kjell!

Sorry to hear about your possible kidney stones. No laughing matter, as far as pain is concerned, as I'm sure I need not tell you! Did have to laugh at your line, "the eventuality that we're still alive." In fact, my guffaws caused me a great deal of discomfort as they caused me to involutarily flex my very tender, sore groin muscles! At least I know I'm alive. Great that you are interested in films. Giggster is as well so we can orchestrate meeting and such a bit closer to date. Hope you resolve your condition whatever it is. Thank Jane for her warm love. Cheers, Chester! Did you ever watch Gunsmoke?) 

P, relieved to learn you are able to walk.  I am quite concerned that the absence of dizziness may be an abnormal condition for you. 

Jacob looked at the specs for the Montague folding bike and we both urge you to get a hard box for the TREK. He will show you how to put it in the box -- not a big deal at all. You can ride the bike you are used to...

There is a third Krakauer title (cant remember the name) about his solo climb in Alaska equally as engaging. Some would argue that much of his work self centred but I never really felt that as I read them.

Love to join you for the flic (s) on Wednesday. Bridge and dinner Sunday: as planned. Start at 2:PM again? OK by you?  We return fond regards to Corinne, W

Hi Giver of Advice!

I certainly acknowledge your suggestion and reasoning behind taking the Trek, (and much appreciate the proffered help from Jacob Two Two), but I really would like to have a bike overseas. Of course I'm planning to try anything I might consider buying so cycle must meet the needs I have in mind.


With respect to Krakauer, Eiger Dreams may well be the book you mention. I do want to read another, Under the Banner of Heaven, as it seems like a fantastic true crime tale indeed. More than that, of course. I heard a snippet about it when it first came out in 2003, I believe. As far as Krakauer, the author, I've never felt like he was self-centered either. I know that he has been criticized for this, however. From my point of view, his personal perspective, from the point of view of his relationship with his own father and his consequent obsession with climbing, are used to illuminate some of Chris's own demons. I can only assume that Jon, like Anderson Cooper, (I recommend Dispatches from the Edge, if you've not read it.), per esempio, after his brother's suicide, were both driven to to try to make some sense of their lives and finally writing, as older individuals, about their physical journeys led them to some sort of understanding of internal truths, about themselves and others. Nevertheless, I cannot imagine that such people who have done and experienced such things are not driven in some way. The honesty and courage of their writing over-rides, for me at least, any self-glorification, if indeed such exists.


 I'm on for bridge on Sunday, at 2:00pm. However, it turns out that Sarge cannot join us so I've left a message for Mike Carter. Haven't heard back from him yet but if he is not available we could always pair Captain Barnacle with Cojones of Wrath, Ragin' is probably due for some electo-shock therapy anyway.

Had to interrupt this message as Robo Man just popped by, briefly, to deliver two books and some reviews. Couldn't stay for any malt as he had tutoring at 2:00pm and not yet had lunch. What's new? We spent a few minutes chatting and he mentioned he'd cycled by 27th and Crown ad confirmed that road surface is smooth. This reinforces my initial assessment that I caught my right pedal on the road as I veered towards curb. Anyway, it happened however it happened so now I've to concentrate on rehabilitation! Onward! Fight!

Great that you are interested in films. Kjell is as well so we can orchestrate meeting and such a bit closer to date. I'll be in touch as soon as I've heard form Mick. Cheers, Chester!

P,

Thanks re:  mike. We had fun with The Captain as well. What about Corinne? Did we frighten Sarge with Manx & Monk and our misdeals? I will order Dispatches from the Edge. What did the doc say. What's up Doc? W

Hi Giggenheimer!

Just back from dottore. She seemed to think, under circumstances, I was doing pretty well. Tough old bird like Sharktooth, I suppose! Dizziness, to the extent I experience it, is apparently caused by having "jolted" some inner ear sensors. I theorize that I had actually turned them off to shut out The Sisterhood's whining and whingeing and crash-landing re-invoked them. And here I thought the pulled groin was bad enough! She even gave me the green light to drive to Squamish and even indulge a glass of alcohol. Funnily enough, I actually don't feel much like imbibing, at present, so I know I am definitely not well! Anyway, I can sip a bit to be sociable so that is fine for now.



Regarding One No Trump, Sarge is involved with a number of the husbands whose wives are in for the shower. Coriandre is going to said shower. Mick called a few minutes ago so I have left a messaggio with Ragin', scheduling his straight-jacket fitting. Will report back when he ship-to-shores.

Time to scullionate the kitchen in the wake of a Sisterhood Swath of Destruction for tonight's fest. Smells emanating from said war zone are tantalizing so cannot complain over much. Andre and Rosemary are back, Flamin' and Sarge and Jo-Aanne will join party as well.

Has my container dissolved yet? I hope not as I often kept porch climber/chain cleaner therein. How's' the napalmed lawn? Keep gnawing on those sustainable carrots, YCR, (as opposed to YVR, You Very Cwaazzzy Rabbit!) Cheers, Il Disorientore!!!



As for myself, the slight tension I have felt for months in my right hand side turned into an acute stitch yesterday. Had a bad night, but after a pain reliever this afternoon I feel a bit better.
 
I watched a TV series called Gunsmoke once in the 60s ...Fight on! Kjell

No comments:

Post a Comment