Tuesday 9 April 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Tuesday, April 9th

The world, we are told, was made especially for man -- a presumption not supported by all the facts... Why should man value himself as more than a small part of the one great unit of creation? -John Muir, naturalist and explorer (1838-1914) 

Fryman Canyon, LA

June 1st and 2nd okay at this end.
Accommodations available:
2 guest rooms each with a queen-size bed; a queen-size air mattress for the floor, and three couches. Small pox inoculations will be made available at the front door.
Transportation available:
Will pick up anyone at Departure Bay terminal.
Storage available:
Garage for bicycles. Kurt's B&B --The Proprietor--


Dear Wrathful Proprietor of Kurt's B&B:

Please provide detailed information regarding wine list and single malts available to guests. Furthermore, I suggest you add rabies inoculations to your clinical offerings as discussion may well turn nasty again. Cheers, Fellow Proprietor, Islay Inn!



Hi Chris!

Trust this missive finds you well. Finally had a moment to activate web access to our accounts and all seems well. Much appreciated. Thanks again for your patience and help. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Kjell!

Now that we are almost finished de-nesting, I've been wading through accumulated email and came across the posting below! On another matter, I attended a luncheon for UBC Libarians Emeriti last Wednesday and had a pleasant chat with Ingrid Parent. She asked to be remembered to you. I gather she didn't realize you were back in Vancouver. As President of IFLA, (six months left in her tenure), she has been jet-setting, as you can imagine, around the globe: Singapore weekend before luncheon, The Hague the week after! Thought of you yesterday as i was over in your neck of the woods. Have you had your bikes repaired? Cheers,Patrizzio!


 Hi, Patrick:

Hope you had a good weekend.


A bit of a setback for my part -   I was initially elated (on Friday

morning) after my stitches were removed.  I anticipated -- as I have all along -- that I would be going back to work on the 15th.   I even called Julie to say that I was quite certain of it but that -- following the surgeon's advice -- I would see how things went on the weekend.  Well, much to my surprise, the weekend did not go well.  Wearing regular shoes and walking normally has proved to be extremely painful.  I called the surgeon yesterday and he indicated that there was no particular cause for concern but advised additional time off work.

So that's it - two more weeks (after this week)!  I must admit that
although there are pleasures to this time of respite, the limitation on normal activities is not ideal.  And I feel guilty about taking so much time off work -- as things now stand, it will be a full six-weeks by the time I (presumably) return on April 29th.    I'm feeling a bit dampened about all this at the moment - of course, the turn in the weather doesn't help!



ANYWAY, I think this means that it won't be possible to set something up with Eyob until at least May, which might work better for you anyway, with the other stuff you have going on.

BUT I am wondering if you and Corinne might like to come over for an
evening of India pictures.  This would be from the most recent trip (January 2012 - the one I told you about at some length) so it wouldn't be a repeat of the photos that I already sent (from 2009). I don't think I can manage dinner at the moment, but I could offer dessert! From my point of view, it  would be great if we could make this happen, given the fact that I am marooned.  And  I'm very flexible during the next three weeks. Possible for you? Bye for now . . .Janet


Hi Janet!

Sorry to hear about your set-back! I'm sure you are disappointed but better to be careful. May for Eyob sounds fine and we'd certainly love to see your pictures. We'll take a look at our respective calendars and see what day/evening might work over next few weeks. I know Cora Lee wants to finish painting spare room so until that is complete we need to stay focused on this project. I think a week or so, what with other social things already scheduled, should see the room ready to re-populated with furniture if not completely redecorated.  Take care of yourself and DO YOUR FOOT EXERCISES! Cheers, Patrizzio!


glad to hear it......talk soon thanks chris


Pat,
     Good to see that you are as busy as ever with work, rides, and social activities. The window repair sounds reasonable but the plumbers can really gouge you. Reminds me of our stay in Worcester in 1978/79 when friends from Canada accidently broke a large window in the house we were renting. Our neighbour called in a local fellow who did the job for a pound (about$2.60 at the time) which included cost of glass and labour! How times have changed.
Mike Carter has a date for his knee surgery in about 2 weeks. He thinks the speed is due to David volunteering him for a follow-up study with one of the researchers in the Physiotherapy Dept. at UBC. Not something to look forward to but at least he might be able to enjoy the summer. I'll send a message tomorrow about a ride Thursday. Ray

Hi Raymond!

Mike had mentioned his coming knee surgery last Friday when we were over. He seemed very pleased/excited about it. I gather he is suffering and noticed a bit of a hobble at times as well. Trust his recovery will go well as I think I remember he suffered a fair bit of pain/discomfort for some time post-surgery. We really don't know how fortunate we all are given our on-going aches and pains and more. Hope you are pronounced good as new tomorrow!

Lazy day today. Rode down to see Norm Cardinal at his sample sale around 1:00pm this afternoon. His show room is just behind Home Depot, off Terminal, in the FX Building, on Glen Drive. There is a bike path all the way from Main, with a bit of dipsy doodling on Western, Central and Station Streets, along Northern Street, paralleling the railway tracks and then the Central Valley Greenway. Had a good visit with him and picked up two light cycling jackets and eight shirts so I'm set for about ten years now, at least in the wardrobe department!



Only a few drops on way down and not much more than a light drizzle on way home so ride, short though it was, (12.03 K over 0:39:50, AVG 18.1 KPH), was a good stretch after yesterday's ride. Having Flamin' and Sarge for dinner tonight as it will be last meal with Clara and Dusty before they leave tomorrow morning. Chloƫ will be coming as well. Hard to believe that they have been here for almost five months.

Once again, best wishes with prodding and poking tomorrow. Let me know about Thursday. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
D, do you have an extra calendar??? I need one for work.
If so I'm coming there for supper tonight so I can grab it then. Thanks, C


Hi Chloƫ!

Yes, I have an extra calendar. You can choose from a number. Maggs is curled up, wrapped in a throw, on our bed, as I write. See you in a few hours. Love, Dad. Pics: Taken over last few weeks.


Cook, Botany Bay!
 Hi there Patrizzio the biker!!

Saw you land at your gate yesterday while waiting in my car for Penny (P Lo) to show up... and of course she bumped into you when leaving the bldg!
  Coincidences never cease!  

Love the way the pathway is now decorated with that nice orange tape and the overturned earth..  makes for such a lovely deck and to have friends over for a bbq eh? NOT.


Did you manage to visit Dody?  (Pam's mom)
Hope the weather cooperates soon!  Not nice for the biking around town scene! Better do some work!!  Later gater! Jdubya


Hi Joan!

When I bumped into Penny I realized I must have cycled past you when she mentioned that you were waiting outside in your car! You might as well move in!!! 



Haven't had time to walk over to Broadway Lodge but plan to do so, circumstances permitting, by week's end. Not sure what is going on with sewer replacement as not much sign of any work activity. I suppose we could have mud wrestling at our next bbq! Anyway, looks like rain until Thursday so plan to swim tomorrow. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Original flower arrangement, taken last Friday evening; Sunday's dinner at The Annexe and Dusty's most recent painting of Friday's flowers, taken after dinner that evening. 


Guy,

Amir has been intending to join us the last two meetings. He did respond after missing the first meeting. I did not hear from him after his no show last Sunday. I did meet him several months ago. 

The bio provided by him: Amir Maleky, a graduate student in mechanical engineering in UBC. I studied in Tehran and got my BSc. and then, came to Vancouver in Feb 2012, so it is almost one year I have been in Vancouver. Reading has always been one of my favourite activities. Mostly, I've read Persian novels, and recently, started reading English novels. G
Ray,

good to hear you are on the mend and may get back on the horse.  Thursday works well for me until 3PM. G

Hi Lads! Hope to see some new faces on Thursday! Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

 P, Kurt's 60th birthday is on the 22nd. He is going to be staying here with Natalia over that weekend -- coming Friday, leaving Monday. We will host a party and hope to get a bridge game in. Are you around? Will keep you in the loopage. 

Give my best wishes to the Dusty and the Riveter. Tell Clare 1 no trump for me.  Look forward to a ride Thursday, W

Hi Giggster! Identify maltage
 from snapolas! You might not recall but we are off to The Squamish Waldorf  on Saturday, April 20th. You had expressed some mild interest in riding to HB, at the very least, on Saturday, probably not all the way to Squamish given the Nanaimoids visit. 


We would be available to wish Wrathless Happy Boithday on Sunday, April 21st, if that is when shindig takes place. I hope to ride back from Squamish so I could be available around 2:00pm for One No Trump if that works.

Clarisse was still upset when I passed along your "needle"! Best take care not to push your luck as Rosie-the-Riveter is not someone to take lightly, let me assure you.

Keep in touch about Thursday and Wrath Fiend's celebrazzione! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Snapolas from this evening. Cora Lee did an amazing meal: fresh bocconcini/tomatoe/basil saladin; baked kartofellage with mushroom soup/cheddar cheeze glaze; steamed fresh spinach with blue cheese and bbq'd chicken thighs marinated in hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and green oniones; Rosie contributed creamed Swiss Chard and Christmas pud for dessert. Sarge insisted upon maltage, (after the dishes were cleared), which you must name upon pain of forfeiture of the Deli!

Cheers, Il Intoxicatore!

Hi Giorgio! Forgot to attach pitturas! Not enough malt, obviously. Cheers, Il Condraizzioooooooooooooo! 

 Hi Corinne,

Below is pricing for the Air Transat non-stop roundtrip to London. Once we get the air sorted out we can offer some hotel suggestions.

We will also mail the medical questionnaires to you.

AIR TRANSAT

July 10, lv YVR 4:25pm, arr LGW (9:55am (July 11)
Oct 19, lv LGW 9:20am, arr YVR 11:10am

Cost: $565.22 + $546.81 taxes = $1,112.03/person

Thanks, Charlie

Charlie, please book the flights. Can you put on the American express? I think you have the card number. Thx Corinne

Hi Corinne,

I started to do this and just had to double check a couple of things.

Your full passport names. I have middle initials on file but not sure what is on your most recent passports. I don’t need the passport info – just the exact name.

Also I have an AMEX on file under Patrick’s name. I will use this one.

Thanks, Charlie                                        Hi Champagne!

Cora Lee: Corinne Lee Durston Patrizzio: Patrick James Dunn Amex is fine. Thanks for everything. Much appreciated. Cheers, Patrizzio!




Pics: Dinner this evening. Clarisse and Coat Hanger are winging their way back to Winnipeg tomorrow at 9:30am!

Hi Sandy and Arv!

Just a quick not to see if the email address is correct!


Volunteering in False-Creek


It's going to be a tough race. But with your help, we can do this.

Patrick,

The campaign is about to kickoff, and we're gearing up for it. You've told us you care - now we need your help to strengthen our position before April 16.

Here are two immediate ways to help:

Help us Work the Phones
"Hi, I'm calling on behalf of Matt Toner and the False-Creek NDP! Can we count on your support for Election-Day?"

We're planning a Phone Banking Blitz this Thursday, April 11 from 06.00 pm - 09.00 pm at the Campaign Office.
Yes, I'll Volunteer this Thursday!

Can't make it this Thursday? Starting next week, we're going to have a phone bank every Tuesday and Thursday. Sign Up!
Help us Foot Canvass
"Knock-knock." "Who's there?" "It's your friendly neighbourhood Campaign Volunteer!"

We're planning a Foot Canvas with Matt this Saturday, April 13 from 12.00 pm - 03.00 pm in South False-Creek.
Yes, I'll Volunteer this Saturday!

Can't make it this Saturday? We're Foot Canvassing every Wednesday and Saturday. Sign Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment