Wednesday 3 April 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Wednesday, April 3rd

It is better to prevent crimes than to punish them. -Cesare Beccaria, philosopher and politician (1738-1794) 

Bob Marley was buried with his red Gibson guitar, a bible opened to Psalm 23, and bud of marijuana.
My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened. -Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592) 

P, I trust your Alma Mater thing at Upsy was worth the trip. I hope you found the dental mirror (beneath your helmet) and got that green stuff from the over-lefts out of your teeth before the ride. Thanks for the book -- I am enjoying it already.  Let me know about Thursday riding, W

Hi Dottore Dentale!

Thanks so much for the bike mirror! I knew you had been and gone as Field Grey was nowhere to be found! Upon picking up my helmet I discovered the Bike Bunny had been and gone as well. Fitted out the monoculare and headed out for Stanley Park about 3:45pm. Cora Lee collected me, (She dropped me off at noon and then went to Trinity to clean out last bits and pieces still in that former church office. Then took some stuff to the new office on Main and Kingsway.), about 2:30pm and I drove her downtown to VPL as she had much to do for Friends' coming AGM. Stopped off at Go Green on way home as I had a car load of recyclables as well as paint cans, (colours not used in this latest round of redecorating), from loft. Cora Lee was happy to have a late dinner as I knew that I'd probably not be home until after 7:00pm.

Luncheon was really quite a delightful affair and I had a chance to visit with quite a few former colleagues so it was much fun catching up on a number of people's lives. Ingrid Parent, UL, gave a brief talk/update on current Library projects and directions so that was interesting. We've known her socially, through Paul and Joan Whitney, for a number of years so I always enjoy chatting with her. She knows Kjell from his days with IFLA so she asked me to remember her to him. She has six months left in her two year term as President of IFLA so she has been jet-setting all over the world since her tenure began. She is just back form Singapore and is off to the Hague next week! 



North Korean officers... Could be easily defeated with a giant magnet!

I thought it would be quite warm on the ride, when driving home, but by the time I had changed, the weather had changed as well.  Still very pleasant but a cool, reasonably strong wind so I was glad I had worn my cycling jacket over my vest and long-sleeved shirt. Had thought I'd do just three loops of the Propect Hill route as I wanted to log at least 50 K. 

 Decided I'd use the road all the way around Stanley Park to avoid pesky tourists so when I reached Ceperley Meadow Playground, where the 1928 LaFrance pump truck is located, I turned left to make for the parking lot just past the Fish House. Obssesive Compulsive that I am, I have taken to doing this loop at the end of each Prospect Hill circuit as it gives me almost 10 K's worth of distance. Furthermore, I wanted to be in the left lane so that I could, more easily and safely turn onto North Lagoon Drive. I know from past experience that many cars come racing down that hill and there is a greater degree of visibility and safety when one exits from the parking lot rather than at the crosswalk which leads the Bridle Path.


Speaking of bridles, on my first loop, I came across two mounted VPD officers riding towards me near the beginning of Lost Lagoon. They were quite friendly and each returned my wave. Road surface itself is not quite as smooth as the bike path on Seawall and there are certainly more small hills/grades to contend with. Nevertheless, I soon adapted to the new route and enjoyed not having to worry about running into tourists or small children/dogs. Plenty of cyclists however, individuals and a number of groups. Ironically enough, on my third loop, (On my second loop, I came across the two mounted officers again, this time dismounted, talking to another officer in a car. Takes about 30 minutes per loop so not sure what was going on!), shortly before the Rowing Club, below and to my right, a skate boarder came whizzing down from a parking lot right into the middle of the road. 
 
A thought provoking piece that is beautifully orchestrated

Narrated by Alan Watts, a British philosopher.
  • Patrick James Dunn Preaching to the converted, Kiddo! And Nana accuses me of not being happy because I just cycle and blog! I desire these two activities!

Two bikers had just passed me and were about fifty metres ahead when the dolt came to an abrupt halt, lurching, somehow to a stop. Both had to swerve to avoid colliding with him. As if this was not bad enough, a car, coming more quickly than we were riding, from the other direction, (I think it is a two-way street at this point. Need to investigate that.), arrived at the scene split seconds after the event took place. Three Bicycles and Somebody's Funeral was what went through my head as the scene played out, almost in slow motion, in front of me. The boarder, in question, seemed completely unfazed and seemed to be laughing with his mate, still in the parking lot, as I rode past.


The 1928 LaFrance pump truck was in service at Fire Hall #11 in May 1928 and retired in December 1966. The Park Board bought it for $1 and it was installed at Ceperley in early 1967 where it has been enjoyed by generations of kids young and old. Earlier this year the truck was removed and brought to the Park Board service yard for welding and repainting.
Other than that bit of excitement, I did enjoy the ride and spent a good part adjusting/playing with my spiffy, new, shiny dentale! I had to keep reminding my self not to turn my head backwards but rather, after trial and error, to look up. Took a bit of getting used to but think I'm getting the hang of the technique. Towards the end of the middle of the ride I could see both riders and cars coming behind me although not quite sure of the precise distance yet. Perhaps you can advise. I'm wondering if I need to realign where I have the dentale mounted on the arm of my sunglasses. Any thoughts or suggestions?

According to tomorrow's forecast there are supposed to be showers in the morning, followed by rain in the afternoon. Do you want to see what the morrow brings and chat when we see what things look like? I don't mind an outing if it is not pelting down. Thanks again for such a great gift! Much appreciated! Cheers, Il Estrattore!


Hi there Patrizzio!

Just curious whether the correct name is Cora Lee or Corrine..  since your wife seems to have both names when you speak of her.... So,, I used Corinne a few times and then Cora Lee as well..  but don't wish to insult her by using the wrong name!

Guess we shall have to wing it (no pun) as far as seats on the plane to Wpg.  I do not have a seat selection either..  but understand it can be done 24 hours in advance by computer..  never tried that method.  Think that is cheaper than reserving a seat now.

Sounds like you have several good friends as a result of working at UBC!    I still have not yet mentioned to Ted & Maureen the serendipitous connections to his ex wife Pam's mother and to UBC for Maureen.   Ted's mother is in a home now and is well cared for..  and they visit her often.!

I sent my cheque and application for the reunion late Feb. and they do not seem to have it..  so..  am going to re-send it again..  sheesh! Hope to see you before the trip to the 'Peg.  Told Penny about your floor being painted..  she still wants to see it.... so will maybe drop by one day. Cheers! Jdubya  

Hi Joan!

Cora Lee is simply a nickname so it is fine to call her by this appellation or by Corinne. Either is just fine and she won't be insulted as there is no wrong name. Don't worry, many friends have been just as confused!

In fact, I'm planning to drop in to see Dodie in the next few days as I feel quite badly that I've not been over at Broadway Lodge, basically since Mom died last August. dropped some Christmas gifts off for the staff before we left in December but didn't see Dodie at that time.



Sorry to hear about your cheque as I had a message a few days ago informing me that mine had arrived and that my tickets could be collected at the door, whatever that means! I assume at the first event requiring tickets.

Generally speaking, I don't worry about reserving seats, especially on relatively short flights. Furthermore, I find it annoying that one often/usually has to pay for this service if one books ahead of time. Just another "gouge" tactic/technique to boost the seemingly cheap airfare higher, in my opinion. This and baggage allowance, of course, on many airlines nowadays. Anyway, we can see where we end up. I think I'll just take what I'm given when I check in unless I am able to select a seat, day or evening before, for nothing, of course! 


I did enjoy my ride today and ended up with 61.3 K over 2:50:24, AVG 21.6 KPH, MAX 54.6 KPH by the time I was home. Walked in the door a minute before Cora Lee so timing was just right. Clara had left a wonderful ham/spinach quiche and a green salad for us for dinner so both certainly hit the spot, for me after my ride, for Coriandre, (another moniker!), after all the administrative tasks she had managed to finish. Tell Penny she is welcome anytime we are home. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello! For once, I'm being super-efficient.

I've updated both my design and my art blogs recently, so here are the
two links.

http://inside-outstyleanddesign.blogspot.com

http://DeborahSawyerArt.blogspot.com

Hope you'll have a chance to come out to one or more of these events! Deborah


Hello all, More news from France:
April 1 – a bit of a gloomy and rainy day.  Had a leisurely breakfast, read a bit, looked at e-mail, and finally headed out.  We decided to take a drive in the country-side around Pezenas.  Went north through the villages of Caux, Fontes, Cabrieres, and Clermont-l’Herault before arriving at Lac du Salagou, a large lake in the hills to the north.  Then it was back through Clermont-l’Herault and then Nebian, and Paulhan on the way back to Pezenas.  All along the route were vineyards and more vineyards.    This truly is one of France’s major wine areas.
On arrival in Pezenas it was time for more sustenance – bread, cheese, terrine de lupin, salad, and quiche, accompanied by a Cotes de Thongue 2011 Petit Verdot from a winery named Condamine L’Eveque.  The Petit Verdot was so-so.  They also produce other Cotes de Thongue wines -  a 2011 Mouvedre (which was half decent), and a 2011 Marselan.  I do not know this grape variety, but the wine was terrible.
April 2 – left  the house really early to get Bob to the train station in Agde for 8:25 AM so he could catch the TGV to Geneva.  He has to meet up with someone in Zurich on Thursday and Friday, and wanted to try and catch the Glacier Express on his way there.   We will catch up with him again in Paris.  Jo-Anne and I then headed to Cete, another town along the coast.  The west side of Cete is all condos and resorts. The east side is a major fishing port.  Quite a contrast.  After looking around Cete, we headed back to Agde and had lunch along the river overlooking the old town.
After lunch, we went to Beziers, then headed back to Pezenas via Servian, a town with very narrow streets.  Wandered around Pezenas on foot for a while, checking out some antique shops.  Bought croissants a t local bakery – very good!!  Then back to the flat to get dinner – pasta and meat sauce with Les Perdrigolles 2009 Crozes-Hermitage Cave de Tain - a syrah from the Rhone Valley (very nice).

April 3 – had a bit of a late start.  Headed off to the Minervois region.  Went around Beziers to Capestang, Bize-Minervois, Aigues-Vives, and la Caunette, where we stopped for a picnic lunch.  It was a warm and sunny day, and spot was spectacular – overlooking an old village with a river on one side and cliffs on the other.
Then it was on to Minerve.  This was where the Cathars fled after the massacre in Beziers.  It is surrounded by gorges and two rivers, so is was easily defensible. Not for the Cathars, however, as Simon de Monfort successfully besieged the town and slaughtered the Cathars.  Now it is a sleepy tourist destination.  We went to two of the Caves in the town for a “degustation” of wine tasting, and bought some great wines.  On leaving Minerve, we went through Cesseras and Olonzac to Pouzois-Minervois, where we stopped for another degustation.  Then it was on Capestang, around Beziers to Servian and Valros before arriving in Pezenas.
Opened a bottle of Domaine Tailhades Mayranne 2009 Cuvee Pierras Minervois from Minerve to have with dinner.  Really good – a blend of Grenache, Cinsault, Carignan and Syrah.  Unusual for a French wine – it came in at 15.4%.
Totally goofed on Sete - I kept spelling it Cete, which probably doesn't exist as
a town.  Yesterday was too cathartic.

Good to hear from you!  You have certainly been doing some touring since we heard from you.  How nice for Chloe to have a great place to live.  I can imagine how thrilled she would be.  
Dana and Dan have got their seedlings up and growing and making plans for their organic farming.  Dan was laid off as a chef at a restaurant which turned out to be a good thing.  He is pretty well assured that he is getting a gov't grant to help them get started at the farm.  They breeze in for the occasional meal and it is quite a breath of fresh air to bask in their enthusiasm..  Heh,heh! 
I have been on a campaign to ban pesticides from our complex.  Got it passed and joined the Council as Secretary.  Wish me luck because they are a cantankerous bunch!

Wally is working as sign coordinator for the election coming up and Pic is Pic.  I may have to take my tax refund to pay for new curtains downstairs as he insists on landing there after his panic flights. Church choir and committees take up a lot of his time too. 
We are thinking that we may try the gypsy route this summer and just start out with the bird and camper to wherever and whenever.
The weather has been so fantastic here that we have sat outside every afternoon and enjoyed retirement.  It is hard to believe that it is so cold back east.  My sister is visiting her house there this week but  returns to HK on Saturday.   She recently sent pictures of her and her husband having water fights on the backs of elephants in Bangkok. The elephants let them use their trunks!
 You must be in great shape with all that exercise!  Puts us to shame! Luv b

Hi, Patrick.

So glad that you enjoyed my Russian album.  I have others for the Danube (2005), Africa (2007) and India (2009).  It takes a lot of time (and expense as well) but the process and final product really do preserve the memories!  I am also doing a retro-album, having converted slides from my African stint in the mid-80s into prints, as after a year or two, I NEVER got the slides out for a look.  I also plan to make a "family history" album with old photographs. 

Otherwise, I am planning to "go digital" starting with my last India trip (January 2012).

I don't keep a regular blog but I did keep one during my last trip to India (when I took a small notebook computer with me).  India is, if anything, more wired than we are!  I used it for journalling, backing up photos, email and blogging.  My blog actually had a few regular followers - family and friends, of course!   I used Wordpress, and it worked quite well, but on your recommendation I might investigate Google Blogger for the next round.


 Like you, I have no pretensions, but if you are interested, the blog is still online: Janet's India Blog.  The link takes you to the first page of the January archive.   The blog is best read in reverse, which means scrolling to the end (the first entry is January 2).  When you reach the top and follow the 'NEWER POSTS' link, you then have to go to the bottom of the page again.  Some of what I told you about  yesterday, and more, is in the blog. 

My brother Greg keeps a blog, to which I subscribe - it has everything from stories of the process of getting a pilot's license (a couple of years ago) to indignation and bemusement about the ways of the world, to nuggets of interesting trivia to travel tales (they just got back from Belize).  The blog is at Progress Developer

Well, on with the another day of rest, reading, etc.  Having a compromised foot is not so bad! All the best, Janet  
Georgina Valladares, Director of Sales for The Vines of Mendoza Resort & Spa

No comments:

Post a Comment