Wednesday 10 April 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Wednesday, April 10th

If words are to enter men's minds and bear fruit, they must be the right words shaped cunningly to pass men's defenses and explode silently and effectually within their minds. -J.B. Phillips, writer and clergyman (1906-1982) 

Cora Lee's quinoa stuffed peppers!

Many thanks for the photos. Especially like the effect of you in the background taking the photo. Very artistically creative. Charlie

Hi Patrick & Corinne,

BTW, there is a slight glitch. Looks like now there is a touchdown in Cowtown (Calgary) on the return. You do not have to leave the plane. The pricing is still the best I can find. Assume this is OK? Charlie

Hi Champagne!

Calgary is fine. I assume we will still clear customs in Vancouver. Otherwise, I'll pick up some cheap malt at the quite good liquor store there!

Pleased you noticed my artistic composition. Also useful in potential crime scene analysis when one of my bridge partners overbids! Cheers, Patrizzio!


P,

I am disappointed that the SQ ride is not another time. I was also wanting to meet your friends --  to connect with someone living in the community.

For Kurtz: we will try to arrange the party and perhaps bridge for Sunday afternoon/evening. Will update you on that when I know more. As you understand all too well, knowing more is knowing less with the sisterhood.
Hoping for a Thursday ride off the ark, W

Hi Giggage!

Buona Fortuna with The Sisterhood and The Uncertainty Principle! There is a baby shower for Rebecca on Sunday so Sarge may well be free to play bridge that afternoon/evening. I'm available and interested at almost any time for a ride domani so let me know. I guess it may depend, to a certain extent, on Robo Ray and what he discovers today at Pacemaker Clinic.

Kjell and I are trying to stitch together seeing a film this afternoon. I'd like to see Emperor, probably at either 2:00pm or 4:40pm, starring Tommy Lee Jones:

A gripping tale of love and honor forged between fierce enemies of war, EMPEROR unfolds the story, inspired by true events, of the bold and secret moves that won the peace in the shadows of postwar Japan. The story of EMPEROR is based on the resonant, real events of 1945, when General MacArthur took control of a shell-shocked Japan on behalf of the U.S and Bonner Fellers worked covertly to investigate the Emperor's fate while the future of the nation hung in the balance. Entwined with an against-the-odds romance, the story traverses the conflicting loyalties between heart and homeland, between revenge and justice, as the world rebuilds from the ruins of war.


Any interest? Let me know. Cheers, Patrizzio!
P, Yes, fingers crossed for the gardener. Would love to join you for Emperor if you decide on the latter time. I have the MT from pick up at 3:00 until about then. Lemme know what you decide. W
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the heads up on  a ride but I’m currently tied up in movie land working on Godzilla. Good news is it’s 5 minutes from my house at Marine and North Fraser way so I come home for lunch and we have been leaving early almost everyday. Great crew too and as much as I can’t stand the long hours it’s good to some of my old comrades and be doing some cool builds.
I have a real world job slated to start in a couple of weeks at a company which manu- factures logging equipment as well as components for water parks and have done work for Disney as well. I came across them while attending a solid works seminar and doing some networking. They offered me flexible hours and a great rate of pay so I’m going to go give it a try.
On the other hand I also had a coordinator call me who has a big show starting at the end of May and goes until next January, he talked about wanting to have me doing more on the designing end of things using my solid works as well so that seems to have paid off in a big way!. I’m supposed to meet him today for lunch and talk. I’ve told him I have another commitment so we’ll see what he has to offer and I’ll have to decide what to do, I’m hoping I can juggle both for a while until I decide which direction to go in. 
I will try to slip in a ride here and there so keep me in the loop. Have a great ride! Cheers, Al

Hi Big Al, et al!
Grand that things are falling into place with solid works. Quit exciting. I suspect this means that my cow-catcher is on hold. Nevertheless, congrats!

Giggage and friend, Kjell, and I are seeing Emperor, this afternoon at 4:40pm, at Fifth Avenue. Any lazy, non-readers please feel free to join us! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Big Al!

Terrific to catchup last week. Wonder if you have either Tom's or Nadine's email addresses. If so, I'd appreciate having them or else simply forward snaps. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
yes, here are their respective addresses:

Hi Big Al! Thanks very much. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Nadine and Stompin'!

Terrific to catchup last week. Thanks again, Nadine, for organizing the delightful gathering. Al passed along your email addresses. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Ganesh!
 Pat/George,
    I have similar availabilty to you, George, so anytime works for me. I will probably back out at the 2 hour range, so you can both carry on from there. Forecast is decent and the wind is supposed to drop tonight but still probably fairly blustery.
    I've been reading an article in the Cycling section of the Guardian - a cycling blog by Kate MaCaan who is starting to train for the London-Surrey 104 mile ride in August. It's very interesting, especially some of the 171 replies giving advice on all sorts of related topics. She is intending to keep the blog going. Ray
Hi Lads!

Any idea when and where? Chat in the morning, around 8:00am?

I took a look at the Kate McCann article and was curious to see what her bike cost. The 2012 Cinelli Experience is listed at £999.99 or $1,555.56 so in my potential price range. Review I looked at seems to rank it quite highly and it has Campagnolo shifters! Anyway, it gives me something to think about. Furthermore, West Point has a sale on this weekend and also has a Brompton folding bike I'm keen to see. From video I don't think I want the style shown, too small. However, have seen one on a web site Jim sent that is a regular road bike so wish to explore that line of bike, in particular. Probably have to do that over in the UK, however. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Montague FIT
Hi Janet!


Sorry that you are still marooned but glad healing process is proceeding reasonably well. Whiel recuperating you might think about how you can start back biking once your foot is completely healed. i suggest you start very slowly, with modest ambitions. Remember that something is always better than nothing. So you won't defeat yourself, just ride around your block or neighbourhood the first few times and then gradually push your limits, within what is comfortable for you. It really is amazing what you can accomplish if you persist BUT you must start somewhere!




With the rain earlier this morning, (It was just pelting when we took Corinne's parents to the airport at 7:30am!), I had decided to swim today and so rode over, (Only 6.79 K, round trip, 14.9 KPH over 0:27:19 so hardly worth recording!), to the Aquatic Centre on Beach. Happily, for me, (and everyone else, I suspect), by the time I left, just before noon, the sun was out and it was a grand day, although wind was nothing short of fierce. I managed to swim 2.25 miles so was very pleased. I did 1.5 miles last time and felt I could do more. However, I prefer to work up, bit by bit, to my goal of 3 miles. This is the "base" I have set to reach before we leave in July. If I can do this regularly I find it is very relaxful. When I manage that distance I need to try to reduce time it takes to cover the distance. But as I mentioned earlier, one thing at a time, and by reasonable increments.


Thanks for the suggested dates. Cora Lee knows that the 24th is out and will check on the 22nd. Will let you know as soon as she knows! Cheers, Patrizzio! 
Hello again there Patrizzio!

You sure are a great story teller!  Those tales of biking around town are very eloquent and like a travelogue!!  
The pics were super!  Thanks for attaching them..  looks like grandpa is a really talented artist..  !  Not bad at all!! Framed and up on the wall already!! I hope the IB reunion people get my second "cheque in the mail"   Mailed it last Friday and no word yet..   maybe it's a bad omen! Between visiting Penny and Joanne ..  you're right .. might as well move in! I guess the back stairs could be used for leg exercise on a rainy day...  up and down..  fairly steep and so would do the trick!! Better do some work.. Later gater! Jdubya 


Lemon Salmon

Hi Stairmaster Joan!

Hope that weather is as sunny as forecast predicts as Robo Man, Whirlygig and I plan to ride tomorrow. Probably out to Iona but we'll decide in the morning. 

I usually let the other two decide as I often continue on by myself once they are ready to go home. This will be the first time out for Ray, (RM), in over three weeks as his pacemaker was acting up after he came down with a very nasty flu bug. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Folks,

The good news is that it looks like both ways are non-stop, so nothing extra for Patrick in the Calgary airport this time. I was looking at a different return date earlier.

Also good news – we were just advised today that as of April 15 the oil surcharge is increasing by $20/person each segment, which means $40/person roundtrip! So you beat that increase.

BTW, will send you out something a bit fancier than email below re: your booking, but will be basically the same info. Thanks for allowing us to book your flights. Charlie

No PST on Bike Purchases

The Government of BC have change our tax system again.  This means that the PST exemption on bicycles and bicycle parts is back.  When you purchase a bicycle, you'll only pay the 5% GST.  Come by West Point Cycles and enjoy the perks of our service and your government tax savings. Remember, your income tax refunds are coming and a bike is a great investment in your health and fitness.

Brompton Folding Bikes @ West Point Cycles

If you have every investigated folding bikes, you'll know that Brompton is the brand leader.  Made in England, these elegant bicycles are the highest quality with the quickest fold and the options are endless.  Come by West Point and allow us to give you a demonstration of how easily they fold and nicely they ride.  We can help you build your Brompton and show you how it can easily fit into your life. 

Spring has sprung and our great group rides have started again.

Lead by veteran West Point Cycles staffer, Andrea Taylor, we offer 3 different rides each week.
Wednesday evening is our beginners ride starting at West Point Multisport (3780 West 10th. Ave. – South Side of the Street) at 6pm.  This ride is a great ride for beginners to learn the skills required to ride in a group, get comfortable on their bike and simply have fun.  The pace is approx. 20km/hour and the ride is a no-drop ride so no one is left behind.



Saturday morning is our group training ride starting at West Point Multisport (3780 West 10th. Ave. – South Side of the Street) at 8am.  If you are planning to ride a Fondo, a charity ride or just looking to keep up with the group, this ride offers a faster pace and longer distance.  Its a great way to ride into shape or improve your fitness with a group of people with similar goals.  The ride is generally 3 to 4 hours long and the pace is approx. 25 to 30km/hour.

Sunday mornings ride is our social ride starting at West Point Multisport (3780 West 10th. Ave. – South Side of the Street) at 8am.  This ride is great for anyone looking for a good time on the road and non-competitive atmosphere.  The ride is a no-drop ride that is generally flat or rolling and the pace is approx. 25km/hour.  The duration is approx. 3 1/2 hours.

If you are interested in any of these rides, just show up on time, sign the waiver and be ready to ride by the start time of 6pm or 8am.  If you have any questions about the rides, please feel free to email Andrea, andrea@westpointcycles.com
Enjoy the rides and come by West Point Cycles for everything cycling!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment