Monday 25 February 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Monday, February 25th

When you see a man led to prison say in your heart, "Mayhap he is escaping from a narrower prison." And when you see a man drunken say in your heart, "Mayhap he sought escape from something still more unbeautiful." -Kahlil Gibran, poet and artist (1883-1931) 


Logophile:

Noun: One who loves words.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek logo- (word) + -phile (lover). Earliest documented use: 1728.

Hi Pat,
Reading about all your hardships is such a strain on me thast sometimes I just can't find the strength to answer right away. Enjoy life, is what I'd like to say!
Life in Stockholm is pretty undramatic, like I probably said before. Seeing friends, going to concerts/theatre plays/movies, playing tennis, reading and writing, and so on. Also trying to solve some practical matters to do with living in different places.
Talking about movies, I'm reading thast "Searching for Sugarman" won an Oscar last night. I suppose you know the guy that made it, Bendjelloul, is Swedish, in spite of his name. Born, raised, and living outside Stockholm. I didn't know when you told me about it. And of course I haven't seen it yet, but I will.
Are you still in the Caribbean? In that case, when will you be "home", or, WILL you be home? I will be arriving on the 18th of March, for a bit more than two months, and then back again late in the summer. Hopefully we can get together and have a good time.
Bestestos and fondestos to you and Corinne, Kjell  

Hi Dom Marcello:

Lovely to hear from you! In spite of the fact that you claim that life in Stockholm is "pretty undramatic" you seem to have a rather busy and interesting social life. Glad that your elbow is allowing you to play tennis. Any cycling? Assume weather does not yet permit such outside activity. Must say that I've had a number of quite wonderful rides since being back, although not this past week, from last Tuesday to Friday. We returned to Vancouver on the Sunday the 17th after having a most pleasant return leg from LA, (Left Dallas on Monday, February 11th to spend the night in Demming, New Mexico, then into LA for Tuesday and Wednesday nights at Ayn's where we visited with Tina, friend from Adelaide, [Staying there as well, on a blow-up bed, very comfortable as we slept on it in December.], en route to Vancouver to ski at Sun Peaks. Trevor, her husband, has been there since January 18th. They will return to Vancouver on March 5th for two nights before flying home to OZ.), to Berkeley, (Friday, overnight), to Healdsburg, (top of Sonoma), to Redding, (Saturday, overnight), to Portland, (overnight) and then home.


Managed a great ride around Stanley Park next day, Monday, two times in fact. First was up the hill to Prospect Point and then once more around the Seawall. Weather was cool with spotty drizzle but otherwise very enjoyable. Few people about as I didn't set out until 4:00pm and wasn't back until about 6:45pm. Pleased with exercise since I hadn't ridden since leaving LA when I did 101.3 K, day before we left, when The Sisterhood were Power Shopping! Only half that distance this time: 51.3 K over 2:49:42, AVG 18.1 KPH, MAX 42.5 KPH, but grand to be back on home turf after almost two months.

Enormous golden sun sinks into the fog, splitting the uprights of the Golden Gate Bridge at the stroke of 6....surrounded by plum blossoms in a soft breeze sipping some Napa Valley wine, leaning out over our balcony...how fortunate, how lucky am I...I just wish I had a magic wand to take away all the greed and misery that ruins this paradise for so many....if only....
Very busy time here as we are in the process of de-nesting Chloë back to the loft on Wall Street. We had been planning to give the tenant notice of this fact when he gave us notice in late December, after Chloë was back from LA. This has worked out reasonably well as Dusty will be here to help with a number of the things we wish to do before she actually moves furniture: new flooring in upstairs loft, new in house vacuum and some painting. A host of other smaller tasks, as I'm sure you can imagine! On Tuesday, Coriandre and I managed to tear up the carpeting while Dusty removed the old vacuum and replaced it with the new unit we brought back from Winnipeg last August. (Tenant said he would install it, (He is quite handy and had hooked up the new washer and dryer unit we bought for the place a year ago this past January.), when we took it over shortly after we were back from that trip but never did!

On Wednesday my cousin, Dallas, and his wife, Judy, from Manitoba, The Goldilocks People, arrived from Calgary. They had been skiing at Fernie and drove back to Calgary to leave their car at the airport there. We had a most enjoyable visit and managed to see Life of Pi and Django Unchained while they were here. They left very early on Saturday morning, (Up at 5:00am as they had to be at YVR by 6:00am), and then I spent the rest of the morning reading the latest Book Club selection, Suttree by Corma McCarthy, for gathering last night. Met Robo Ray at his place at 2:20pm that afternoon, (Whirlygig has a sore knee so couldn't join us.), and we rode out to UBC and round campus. By the time we were back at his place I knew I would have about 40 K on the clock when home so I made for Stanley Park to do one circuit of the Seawall to put me at 71.3 K, over 3:55:36, AVG 18.1 KPH, MAX 56.7 KPH when back at the Heartbreak Hotel. After showering, changing and eating a delicous dinner of overlefts from all the meals we'd enjoyed with cousins I read until 1:30am so that I could finish Suttree on the morrow.

Did just that on Sunday morning and then readied the house for  bridge and brunch. I'd invited Whirlygig and Kurt, (He lives in Nanaimo since moving to BC from Ontario a year or so ago and takes the ferry over for the night to be able to visit and take part in the NRBC malt induced free-for-all! He and Giorgio worked in publishing in Toronto in the mid-80'.), as well as Ragin' Bull to dine and bid. We played with three different partners and I managed to come out on top. Finally booted out by Chloë as she was hosting a n Oscar party, at just before 6:00pm. Almost time for me to drive over to Whirlage's place to pick the two miscreants up, (They were drinking beer on the porch when I arrived and continued to knock them back all evening,a t Gyuy's place in East Van, jiust off Victoria and 4th. Lively discussion and then I chauffeured the rowdy bunch back home to be back at the Islay Inn myself by 10:30pm. Cora lee was already reading in bed so I joined her as soon as I brushed and flossed as I was keen to start Field Gray, Philip Kerr's latest Bernie Gunther novel. (Picked it up in New Orleans.)

This morning Chloë and I drove over to the loft. I left beforehand, in my car, to return recyclables to Go Green on Ontario and 7th and then to Coastal Ford on Thorton, just off Terminal Avenue, to take Titanium Green in for an oil change as a reward for performing so well on trip! Chloë picked me up and then we made for Wall Street where we off-loaded the laminate flooring and underlay for the upstairs bedroom area. That done we returned to the Islay Inn and I changed into my cycling togs and left just after 1:00am. Sky had cleared from morning showers and I wanted to take advantage of what was supposed to be a dry day. Very dry but very, very windy. Don't think I've ever ridden into such a fierce wind and I do mean FIERCE! On way to Stanley Park, just past the Aquatic Centre I literally had to shift into lowest gear. (Looked at weather report once home and gather wind as gusting to 50 KPH!), I was still in third but that is what I climb hill to Prospect Point in! Quite a buffeting, let me tell you. 

Bit of relief once I made it to the cover of the trees near English Bay and so I headed for Canada Place befoer making my way up and over Lions Gate. Thought of you when I rode east on the Spirit Trail, past where Jane lives and then on over the pedestrian bridge to Harbourside and then to Berwicke Avenue. Retraced my route to head into West Van and then thought of you both again as I passed the aprtement building where Jane's Dad used to live. Followed  to about 31st and Marine Drive and then turned back. Wind going over Lions gate wasn't too, too bad as it came at a slight angle, not head-on and I was soon zipping down hill from Prospect Point. Had 70 K on the click at the bottom so knew I needed one more circuit of the Seawall, (Closed for scaling from part under Prospect Point so not accessible, Monday-Friday, for next two weeks.), and PP Hill so did that and was home about 5:45pm with 81.3 K on the trusty odometre, over 4:24:00, AVG 18.4 KPH, MAX 51.6 KPH. Quite please with distanc eif not AVG but put it sown to hurricane force winds!

After my shower, I made a salad for dinner and was then summarily banished to the bedroom. The Sisterhood's Book Club was meeting at 7:30pm and I was not to show my grizzled visage until called upon to scullionate the kitchen, clearing up the empty wine bottles and cheese rinds! That done, Cora Lee is working on a presentation for Presbytery tomorrow and when she is satisfied we will watch one of of the many shows Chloë recorded for us since we've been away. Think we'll watch an episode of MI 5 or Elementary. CoraLeeta calls so I must away. Fondestos from her to you Kjell. Cheers, Patrizzio

Pics: Snap of Ariane, (Original connection to Tina and Trevor), Doug and their twin boys, Corben and Damien, at Sun Peaks. North Shore today. Not my snap, however.

Lefty,

Thanks for the lunch and the bridge yesterday, and for being the DD (Lefty) last night.  Lefty is/was the taxi driver/bookie we used to use in Toronto – from the underworld of the Jewish mafia.  He would show up about three hours in advance and sit at the kitchen table smoking and talking to himself or taking bets – giving odds on the phone.

Great NRBC last night -- I guess we need more books like that.

Saw you and on the LGB and honked like crazy. I was just returning from Horseshoe Bay and dropping Kurt at the ferry. The wind was not a factor I am sure.

Forecast looks dismal but hoping to get out in the next few days. G

Guy, thanks again for hosting.

I am going to suggest that we meet next on Sunday, 31st March, 2013. Please let me know if that works for you. Venue tba

Moe has chosen Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie. Guy is contemplating what book should follow the Massie.

I promise to have read the book in full next time...VL
Keeping in mind the the breach of professional responsibility involved in failing to fulfill an undertaking given to another lawyer ... 

It was a pleasure.

George, just a heads up the 31st is Easter Sunday, and given the extended weekend there's a good chance some of us may be away.  Guy

Guy, Thanks for hosting. 'twas definitely a session for the annals of the NRBC!
    
8^) cheers, Mark 


Hi TNT!

Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but I've literally not even read my email for almost a week!  Had my cousin and wife, from Manitoba, The Goldilocks People, here from last Wednesday until Saturday and then I had to read latest Book Club selection, Suttree by Corma McCarthy, for gathering last night. Into this mix we are doing some work at Chloë's loft. Dusty is installing a new in-house vacuum and Cora lee and I tore up the carpet upstairs. We will put down some flooring laminate this coming week. So all in all it has been rather busy ever since we arrived back a week this past Sunday.

At any rate, let me know your airline, flight number and ETA and I'll meet you outside Arrivals. Just reconfirm it is Tuesday, March 5th, as Sarge seemed to think it was March 4th.

Time to make a run to loft with the new flooring The Sisterhood picked up on Saturday so must away. Great snap of Ariane, Doug and the boys. Say hello to them for us. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment