Wednesday 13 February 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Wednesday, February 13th

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. -William Shakespeare, playwright and poet (1564-1616)

Camera Shy CoraLeeta!

Up at just after 8:00am and did enjoy the lazy bones approach, what with yesterday's long drive. I worked away at contacting friends we plan to visit on return leg while joining in the banter around me. Ayn had taken the day off work and it was to be a Girls Only day of sightseeing/shopping and lunching. Pierre planned to go to the gym and I was itching to be back on my bike. After fueling on a banana, yogurt and freeze-dried mango chips and two pieces of peanut butter slathered toast, I made fro the Orange Line Busway, around 12:20pm. Day was sunny, clear blue sky with a bit of a westerly, strong at times.

Nonetheless, my heart sang as I revisited the super bikeway I'd first ridden upon back in December and I zipped along, judging traffic lights and dodging those that refused to co-operate! 10 kilometres along takes one to Lake Balboa recreational area and here I discovered an 8 K loop around the Balboa/Encino Golf Courses, adjacent to Balboa Lake. I had never ridden west along Bilbao, across the LA River so decided to follow my nose
 instead of riding all the way to the end of the Orange Bus Line bike path as had been my usual pattern. Absolutely delighted to discover a wide, dedicated bike/jogging path which encircles this huge park/playing field, golf course complex. After I had ridden a complete circuit I decided that I had better calibrate the distance for future reference so rode it twice, clockwise and then counter-clockwise, to better establish the exact kilometerage! Turned out that the loop is almost exactly 8 K. (Not 8.33 K but 8 K precisely, Dear Reader!)

Armed with this new, exciting knowledge, I thought that I might as well enjoy the unrestricted, smooth sailing, freewheeling path here, as opposed to the potential pesky traffic light interruptions of the OLB, so enjoyed a few circuits before taking a look at the residential streets across Balboa, bounded by White Oak Avenue tot he west, Oxnard Street to the north and Burbank Blvd to the south. By the time I'd criss-crossed this development I had 80 K on the clock so I did one more circuit to take me towards my goal of 100 K. On an earlier leg I had investigated a side road to a parking lot adjacent to a large open field in what I later learned is the Sepulveda Basin, a flood control area along the Los Angeles River, where the Valley Radio Control Flyers send their model aircraft into the wide blue yonder. I saw a number of enthusiasts putting their craft through loops and somersaults as I rode by, their straining engines buzzing like angry mosquitoes.

Had 90 K on the trusty odometre as I made for home and although it was close to 5:00pm I wasn't hampered by rush-hour traffic at any of the lights and only had a to do a paltry 2 K or so once back on Erwin to achieve my heart's desire: grand ride of 101.3 K over 4:55:14, AVG 20.6 KPH, MAX 35.3 KPH. Back just a few minutes before Power Shoppers returned. Chatted while I enjoyed a cup of Industriale and then made a quick trip to Trader Joe's for Valentine's loot. Wanted to pick up a few small gifts for the crew and knew I'd be able to find plenty of possibilities there. Ended up with bars of Tea Tree Oil Soap, (Tina and Trevor live in Tea Tree Gully in Adelaide), for the Sisterhood and bottles of hot sauce for Los Horridos, along with an assortment of chocs for The Goils.

Ayn put together a scrumptious dinner of turkey tacos with all the fixin's: sour cream, lettuce, salasa, grated cheese and diced avocadoe. Teens had whipped up some overly delicious guacamole for an appetizer so we were very well served for food. CoraLeeta had picked up a Torrontes and a Sauvignon Blanc so we toasted one another as we munched and chatted. Pierrino had been called into work at the last moment so after dinner he changed into his suit and we bade him goodnight. Shortly thereafter Alejandro left for his place as he had plenty of studying to do. We said fond farewell to him as we wouldn't be seeing him again, before we left. We hope to return for his graduation in May, however. 

While The Sisterhood did dishes and tidied the kitchen, I made a few more trips to the car and around 11:00pm everyone was ready for bed. Said goodnight to The Sisterhood but continued to send a few messages until 11:30pm. Coramandel was sleeping soundly when I came into the alcove so I climbed in beside her and read for a few minutes. Could hardly keep my sleepy eyes open even though I am relishing Suttree. Managed to finish the chapter I was on but no more before the words started to blur on the page adn I knew it was time to turn out the light. Did so, secure in the knowledge that the car was loaded, rest of packing done and I had a delicious breakfast of Lebanese overlefts to look forward to, to sustain me on the way north! Slipped into Nod with images of model planes executing their aerial acrobatics dancing in my head!

To be continued...

Hello Fingare and Digitale!

Apologize that it has taken me a bit to reply to your latest message. Hectic time since Dallas and in between. Sorry to learn that Michaelo has to have such a prolonged course of antibiotic medication but understand it must be necessary. Arrived in LA yesterday and planning to head north tomorrow. We plan to pick up this year's release at Coffaro and then on to Redding. Given you latest trial and tribulation we certainly won't presume to burden you further but would like to re-stock "our wine cellar", sometime in the the early to mid-afternoon on Saturday, February 16th, before continuing home. Trust this will be okay. Thanks, once again. Do hope things are going as well as can be expected, under these trying, ongoing medical circumstances. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


PS: Tina sends her best wishes to you both and to Michael, in particular, for a full recovery. (See below for details.)


Hope some of these bring a smile to the American Patient's face!


Hi Cactus!

We are "here" in LA with Ayn. Just the two of us will be knocking on your open door! Thanks muchly. We'll probably hit Villa Vicente somewhere between 4-5pm, depending on traffic, etc. Cheers, Rizzzzzzzzzzzzzo!


"WE" being you and Corinne, or a larger entourage???

Ah, you are referring to today? You are welcome to come by, I will warn Donna Florida, but I don't get home from my men's group until 8 PM or so....

Patrick, not sure where "here" is, but it's immaterial really. Please let us know which night you plan to overnight at our cabin. I am sure we can accommodate you.  Cactus

Commandatore, I am still not sure what day you mean. I bet you are driving now and won't get this.  Your first message said you arrived yesterday and were leaving tomorrow (presumably Thursday). This message makes me think you are coming today.

It makes a big difference to me, as I've decided to skip my group and head home to welcome you if it's today, but don't of course want to do this if you are coming on Thursday. So do let me know; between you and Janferie I can't decide which of you leaves vaguer and more perplexing information with us...Cactus

Helloo faire Canadians,

David has updated me that it is tomorrow we shall expect you.  So, either way that's fine.  Tomorrow the guest chambers will be in even better shape. -- Nancy  


Hello Casa Vicentians!

Arrived here yesterday and planning to head north tomorrow. If it is convenient, we'd like to stay overnight. If not, please don't fuss as we'll simply go on to Healdsburg. We plan to pick up this year's release at Coffaro and then on to Redding. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Plan to see you tonight???  I am getting guest room in shape!!! Nancy

Hi Cactus!

Sorry, just home from a 100K ride so I didn't receive your message until a minute ago. It is Thursday we are arriving! So sorry for the confuzzione! I hope you can still go to your Men's Group. See you domani if you will still accept us!! Cheers, Trizzio!


Thursday works out PERFECTLY for us, and we'll provide a handsome dinner for you too! See you then! 

Experiment Time!!
If no one reads my wall, this should be a short experiment. If you read this, leave one word on how we met. Only one word, then copy this to your wall so I can leave a word for you. Please don't add your word and then not bother to copy...you'll spoil the fun!!


No comments:

Post a Comment