Friday 4 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Friday, January 4th

It is a very lonely life that a man leads, who becomes aware of truths before their times. -Thomas Brackett Reed, politician (18391902) 

The Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird"
Hello Big Al and Marilyn!

How lovely to hear from you and receive your terrific snaps. Love all the snow and winter activities!!! Wonderful all went so well over Christmas and can only imagine what an absolute hoot the videos must have been, given what I've seen of your Okanagan Diaries!

Was chuffed to hear that you are following me with Google's Big Eye in the Sky! In fact, followed your suggestion to
"pre-plan" my ride this past Wednesday. It was a simply gorgeous day here so I took advantage of it and decided to explore the eastern end of Simi Valley. I'd been as far as the intersection of Sequoia and Royal and determined that I should be able to ride just into the San Fernando Valley over the Santa Susana Pass. As thing turned out it was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had here in California. For a start I was on dedicated bikes lanes for virtually all of the ride so it was extremely comfortable from that point of view and then the countryside and landscape through the Santa Susana Pass was quite spectacular. The scenery is really breathtaking at times as the sandstone formations show massive outcroppings and stunning, stunning boulders. I first saw evidence of these hillsides when I rode to the end of Browns Creek Bike Path, at the north end of De Soto Ave, just barely under the Ronald Reagan Fwy, 118. Now I know that I was probably looking at Stony Point Park as the SSP Road terminates at Topanga Canyon Blvd on the west side of these hills.



David Kessler
Daily 11 AM swims in bright warm sunlight at Spieker Pool almost make being back at work (and holiday's end) palatable; I half-gratefully await Hearst Pool's "late" Jan. 15 reopening to resume our dark and chilly 6:15 AM swim "club!" (All our pools here at UC Berkeley are of course OUTDOORS so we also feel extra compassion for our rugged and wonderful lifeguards the whole winter long!)

By the time I was here I had 35K on my odometre and would dearly have loved to have been able to ride for at least another 15K so that return would clock me in at 100K. However, TCB seemed extremely busy and as I approached the entrance to the thoroughfare I could see no evidence of a dedicated bike lane. I decided that I'd best save my energy for the return slog back over the pass. I must say that the ascent was one of the longest, prolonged rides I may have yet taken, ever, but it was not overly exhausting or punishing. The wind, however, was another matter, altogether. Even on Royal and E Los Angeles Ave when making for Kuehner Drive which leads to SSPR, I had to gear down, using the same ratio that I used on the climb over the pass, so strong, so forceful was the sustained headwind. Some of the gusts, particularly working my way to the top of the pass, buffeted me almost sideways at times. Tad disconcerting on the way down as there are some pretty sheer drops along the way and heading into the San Fernando Valley one is right next to cliff edge on some of the tight corners!

 Anyway, I made it up and down without any mishaps. On the return ascent I took a short jog to the north, past The Church at Rocky Peak to follow the road just under the 118, once again. A gated community, Vistas at Indian Oaks, prevented me from going any further so I turned around and literally whizzed back down to SSPD, clocking 60.6KPH before I had to put on the brakes! Quite lovely to see Simi Valley spread out before me as came through the cut just past Box Canyon Road and then I was back on Kuehner Dr to take Katherine Rd and then Christine Ave back to ELAA all the way to Tapo Street which circles what looked like a fairly high end industrial park to connect with Royal Ave. Thence to Sequoia and I was in good shape, knowing the territory, so to speak from earlier rides. Must say I was delighted to have the wind now pushing me along quite nicely at by the time I was back on Fitzgerald, heading for First St I knew what I would do to push my total distance to over 110K.

Once across First, I continued to Sinaloa Rd and then retraced an abbreviated version of the route I'd done last week when first exploring this area. Ending back at Rivera St I took a shortcut through a small park and was back heading up First with slightly over 106K on my ododmetre. Although it was after 5:00pm by then, it was still extremely warm. I had taken off my cycling gloves, near the very start of the ride, as it was simply to hot to wear them. I thought that I'd have to put them back on once the sun went down as I've found that the temperature can drop quite quickly. Pleasantly surprised not to have to do so. Furthermore, I have sometimes felt chilled on the last descent down Wood ranch Road, the wind cutting through my light jacket to make me shiver as it finds my perspiration soaked double long sleeved T shirts. Not this time as I was toasty from head to foot as I pulled into 269 Fawn Valley Ct with 116.3K over 6:18:22. AVG 18.4, MAX 60.6KPH.


Must say I am very pleased with the ride, not just the distance but more the joy of exploring this fascinating landscape once one manages to get away from all the malls and housing developments. I hope I can explore Box Canyon Road on some future ride as from looking at the map it would eventually take me to Plummer St not all that far from the Orange Line Busway Bike Path I rode when we stayed with Ayn in Van Nuys/Valley Glen.

Yesterday I drove into LA to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Center with Clarisse and Dusty. Rather remarkable to view up close, as I'm sure you can well imagine. Spent time we had to wait for our particular showing looking at a number of the space capsules from earlier missions and could have spent whole day there with so much to see. Simply stunning IMAX show on the Hubble Space Telescope, (narrated extremely well by Leonardo DiCaprio), as part of package and only $6 per ticket for Seniors!!! Had a picnic, of turkey sandwiches, near the Rose Garden there  between shows. Unfortunately, Cora Lee had come down with a nasty head cold the night before so she had to stay home and stay in bed with Joey, the Destructo-Acro-Kitten we are taking care of while his owners are in Bora Bora.

After leaving the CSC we drove to Studio City to pick up key to Ayn's apartmento. Her office is in the building once occupied by Mary Tyler Moore's production company. Great view from her window and I met some of her co-workers so that was fun.  Soon as we were back at her place Dusty put in a dimmer switch for the overhead light in Ayn's dining area. (We had suggested this when we were first staying as it was so bright that she hated to have it on and I was often forced to scribe away at the Jambalaya Diaries in the dark!) Next he rubbed stain on her dining table and chairs. We took one of them back to Simi as it he wanted to glue and clamp some loose joints. She will pick it up this weekend when she and The Lost Burritos will stay overnight.


I sent a few messages while Clarisse read on the couch. However, I feel I must point out that Rosie-the-Riveter was not simply reading on the couch while The Brotherhood was slaving away, at one task or another, but rather was "barking out orders", a la her eldest grandchild, from her royal reclining position to such an extent that it is more than a miracle that anything of consequence was actually accomplished! Once Dusty was ready for the table-top, (Table once belonged to Corinne's Aunt Ellen), I cleared away my laptop and went into the kitchen to make a green saladin to go with the pizza Ayn brought home after work, a truly scrumptious pepperoni and meatball topped mouth-waterer from one of her favourite local places run by an Armenian family, Franchises Available, according to lettering on the box!

After dinner we chatted for a bit before making a few plans for the weekend and then drove back to Simi Valley, stopping downtown at Albertson's to buy carrots, (for the turkey soup Clarisse will be making today), and cold medicine for Canadian Patient! She was feeling a bit better and I made her a stiff rum/honey/lemon concoction to sip while we all watched Elementary and Destructo Joey worried his toy fish until he decided to sleep in front  of the fireplace.

Forecast is for rain on Sunday so think I'm going to try to tackle Box Canyon today or tomorrow. Cheers, Scullion Patrizzio for Carpenter Coat Hanger Durston and the Mightily Oppressed Brotherhood!

Pics: First one shows Chloë day before she left for Vancouver this past Sunday; Clarisse before guests arrived; Pierre with Jonathon and his fiancée, Francine; Beatricce and Patrizia, from Pasadena, women we sat next to at Ralph's in Healdsburg; Tony a former gentleman friend of Ayn's; Danielle, Joshua, Samantha, Alejandro's girlfriend; Last picture of Endeavour was taken by Henie, a friend of Ayn's, from a rooftop in September when it was flown into LA; Crown Media and view from Ayn's office; table with Quality Control Inspector and under-paid craftsman!


Gents.


Happy New Year,  Feliz año nuevo, Sretna Nova Godina!



Patriçio, the following may be of interest to you …



terse  

/tərs/
Adjective
Sparing in the use of words; abrupt: "a terse statement".

Synonyms
concise - laconic - succinct - brief - curt - short
_____________________
Branko

Of no interest whatsoever! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Giorgio, Über Publicist!


Alex Anderson
 Ayn P
TCA gala at the Huntington Library tonight and my table mates will be Tony Plano from Ugly Betty and Saundra Santiago from Miami Vice...they will be starring in our original movie Meddling Mom soon!
  • Patrick James Dunn Is the script based on your tyrannical control of the Lost Burritos/Los Horridos, barking out orders to be obeyed to the letter of the law? Have a wonderful time at the Huntington Library. What a venue you Meddling Mom, you! Oi Vey! Your parents are librarians and we should be so lucky, already! Don't worry about us. Go ahead, have a grand time while we slave over a hot stove making turkey soup. We'll be fine, I'm sure. At least Joey loves us unlike our ungrateful children. Oi Vey, Corinne, where is my malt, already!!!

    JJ
    Friday evening, while Ayn was cavorting and mingling with The Rick and Famous at the Huntington, we enjoyed a tasty turkey pot pie, courtesy of Rosita and Cora Lee, and one of my green saladins. Back from mt battle with Box Canyon I found, much to my considerable dismay that The Sisterhood were already poundin' a Layer Cake Malbec while The DDustman, for his part, was heavy into the rum! I crowed about my ascent of K2 and then had a quick shower. 
    Back downstairs we waited for Sam and Alejandro to arrive. Alex had to work that day and so we knew that they wouldn't be here much before 7:00pm. By 7:30pm the grandparents wanted to eat so we started without the Tinsel Towners. We'd just finished and Dusty was deciding upon dessert when doorbell rang and Joey and I went to welcome the College Kids.
    Darren, Ayn's boss.


    Mata Hari! 





    They themselves were ready to eat so we chatted while they, (Most was consumed by Alejandro, as you can well imagine!), polished off the rest of the remaining food. Once dishes were done we all gathered around the kitchen table againa nd had a killer game of Up the Creek. Rosie the Riveter was in fine fettle and ended up the winner after about three rounds. Lots of fun and teasing. Around 10:30pm everyone was ready for bed so we said goodnight and trundled off to our separate sleeping quarters.

Me and Jenny Iowa...my sugar baby/shot partner



Box Canyon or Bust! 125.6K over 6:41:46, AVG 18.7KPH, MAX 49.6KPH
Hi Toshiko, Is there any change you could come to LA. We are house sitting a large place with plenty of room and will be here until 10th of January.
Love Corinne



Corinne,

A Happy New Year!!

Believe you are having wonderful time in LA!

Of course, I would visit you in LA if I were in The States.
My boyfriend and I were talking about visiting you even in Arizona. Unfortunately, I am still in Japan.
I cancelled my flight which I was supposed to fly on Jan 2.

My aunt Emiko was involved in an accident on X'mas day and has been in
serious condition.
Emiko is the one who sent you the fax when you arrived in Tokyo. I am at the hospital now.


Daily 11 AM swims in bright warm sunlight at Spieker Pool almost make being back at work (and holiday's end) palatable; I half-gratefully await Hearst Pool's "late" Jan. 15 reopening to resume our dark and chilly 6:15 AM swim "club!" (All our pools here at UC Berkeley are of course OUTDOORS so we also feel extra compassion for our rugged and wonderful lifeguards the whole winter long!)

I was gonna e-mail you today that I could not go to the States by Jan 10.
I'm sorry...
I don't know when I can go at this moment, but I will let you know when I
go to the States.
If you are in Vancouver and I can visit you there, it would be great.

Please say hello to Patrick, Ayn, Chloe, Pierre, Alex and people whoever Iknow in LA. My mom says hello to you as well. Love always, Toshiko


Text messaging has quickly become a major way for people around the world to communicate with each other. And where there is a communications channel, for those people living outside Western societies especially, there is almost certain to be censorship.

Texting while driving is dangerous, as most people know. But texting while walking also can be. According to the New York Times, "[s]lightly more than 1,000 pedestrians visited emergency rooms [in the U.S.] in 2008 because they got distracted and tripped, fell or ran into something while using a cellphone to talk or text." And of course, the problem isn't limited to the United States. In directory services company in the UK wrapped lamp posts with branded padding in order to protect distracted pedestrians (while, of course, advertising their product).


No comments:

Post a Comment