Wednesday 16 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Wednesday, January 16th

In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

Nadienka!

Some very, very sad news from Vancouver as I learned, yesterday, that my dear friend and swimming coach, Imre, "Jim" died at St Paul's.

Dear Maria:

It was with more than deep sadness that I read your message informing me of Imre's death. Thank you for telling me. I do remember you and I appreciate your kindness. Please extend our sincere condolences to Julia, (and Judy, of course), and let her know that we grieve with her and for her.

I had a lovely visit with Imre a few days before we left for California on December 16th. I knew, obviously, that he was in a great deal of pain but, as always, he never complained about his difficult times, preferring to focus on the activities of other friends and family members. 

Unfortunately, I knew, as well, that I might not see him alive again. This made the visit, at least for me, even more painful, as he had become such a wonderful friend over the years I had known him. Naturally he knew how critical his condition was, even more so that I, but we both anticipated another visit once my wife and I returned to Vancouver. This was not to be and I can only hope that he died as quietly and peacefully as was possible, with his loved ones beside him. From what you said, I understand that this was the case.

Again, please send our deepest sympathy to Julia. I am not sure what plans she might have for a funeral but I would like to send along a brief account of my friendship with Imre. This could be read at the service if the family would like to do so. If not, I understand completely but I would still like to let Julia and family know what a dear, dear friend Imre was to me and to my family and friends.

I would enclose my remarks now but my wife and I are literally about to leave for New Orleans. We have been in Dallas for a number of days, staying with close friends here. I will have the time to compose my thoughts once there and I hope to reply more fully later today or tomorrow.

Once again, heartfelt sympathy from Corinne and Patrick. 

Ruby Dee
Hello Flamin' and Sarge!

Trust you are both well! As I'm sure you can imagine, have had little time to devote to my "beloved Jambalaya Diaries"! As I have probably mentioned before, life on the road is busy!

Up at 5:30am to make sandwiches! Left Dallas at 8:45am without any trouble. Straightforward drive through slightly rolling countryside in both East Texas and then Louisiana. Incredible flooding in Landry Parish due to torrential rain about a week ago. Saw many houses marooned in small lakes, completely surrounded by the water not yet receded.

Arrived from Dallas at 5:30pm without difficulty except couldn't figure out how to open lock box containing house keys! Finally managed and then muled our possessions up long, long staircase to second floor of our very comfortable apartment. We were given permission to occupy master bedroom so we had to negotiate another, even slighter longer staircase.

Once settled, we took a quick drive down Magazine to shop at Breaux Foods for dinner: salad fixings, ribs and breakfast stuff, yogurt, fruit, etc. back home to store groceries and then to airport to collect Lynne and Peter.  Other than the fact that exit to Louis Armstrong was closed and caused no amount of consternation on Garmin Goil's part, we eventually picked them up, on time, (I waited, illegally, while CL went inside), and we whisked them home.

Once home and settled, I made a green salad and put some spuds on to boil. When they were ready we re-heated the ribs in the microwave and caught up on each others' lives. Had a grand evening eating and chatting and drinking. Couple of wonderful Coffaros, a 2010 Petit Verdot, 15.5% and a 2010barbera, 15.6%. Few snorts of Macallan Select Oak, 40%, to make everything blend together. Bit of pre-planning for the days ahead and then bed at after midnight for all concerned. Slept like a baby as I was up at 5:30am! To be continued.. 

Toni Morrison
Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot. -Charlie Chaplin, actor, director, and composer (1889-1977)

Hi Pat and Corrine
 
Glad to hear from you it is great that you are going to be home when we are out, look forward to spending time with you. I am sorry I didn't get back to you right away we had to organize our flights we will arrive in Vancouver around noon Wed. Feb. 20 and leave about a month later, just kidding. Our flight departs Sat.23 at 7 am might have to take a taxi. I could be crippled after skiing but you have seen me like that before so it will be nothing new. How is Texas? I had not heard of Texas as a wine growing region or is it your love of cowboys that drew you there. Looking forward to hearing from you enjoy your holiday and stay well.


You phoned!  You did it once before too and we never figured out...what a hoot
Tee hee....a funny for Poppa


Lance doped up for 7 titles. So what. Try riding a bike in NYC traffic after 7 double Jameson's. At night.
Patrick James Dunn How about seven double single malts! With a blindfold!
Hello Patrizio!
Thank you so much for a traditionally informative message.
There are some parallells between the way you spent New Year and the way I did. I spent New Year's Eve minding Bodil's cat (originally Anna's). No toasting, no promises, poor conversation. But he, his name is Hannibal (!), is a very well-mannered cat, and very cuddly. He is a good friend.
I had a great Christmas, celebrating with my Swedish family, including Anna and her boyfriend Justin coming in from Canterbury. Anna is going to study history at a Swedish university during the spring. A distance course, full speed, but working at the pub simultaneously to avoid borrowing money (except from me, and borrowing is of course a euphemism). I'm very pleased.
I spend my days reading, watching movies, seeing friends, going to the gym, and playing tennis (now real tennis). Also trying to get re-started on my memoirs, and looking into some practical matters to do with my future life, assuming there is one.
I will be back in Vancouver on the 18th of March, to remain until May 20th. Hopefully you will be back from southern California by then, and we can have some fun.
 
Bestestos to you and Corazon,
Kjell 
   
PS I never realized "Searching for Sugar Man" was produced by a Swedish guy; speaking of documentaries I watched "The Queen of Versailles" on Swedish television yesterday night; a totally remarkable, fascinating, and disgusting illustration of the American Dream, and its fragility.   

No comments:

Post a Comment