Wednesday 30 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Wednesday, January 30th

Cheerfulness and contentment are great beautifiers and are famous preservers of youthful looks. -Charles Dickens, novelist (1812-1870) 


Notes from Hardship Posting #4, Sint Maarten! (#1, Simi Valley, #2, New Orleans, #3, Dallas!)


Hello Chris and Jim!



Trust you are both well. Sorry that it has taken me so long to send a message but life has been hectic and I simply haven't had as much time to correspond as i would have liked. On a very sad note, I am quite devastated to report that Imre died about two weeks ago, now. Heard from a close friend of his. I knew things were getting pretty serious but I did expect to see him upon return in February. Not to be, obviously.


At any rate, just back, a few hours now, from my first swim ever, in the Caribbean Sea, at Mullet Bay! Some say it has the nicest beach on the island! What a more than delightful spot and just a 10 minute walk from the American University of the Caribbean where we are staying in very comfortably furnished dorm rooms provided for visiting faculty. Earlier today we visited the Solidarity Rastafari Churchical Foundation, nestled at the foot of the hills off Bush Road in Philipsburg, St. Maarten, for organic, sustainable produce. Then to the Marina at Port-de-Plaisance for Almond Croissants, (not for gluten-free Coriandre, poor thing), at Zee Best where we enjoyed sipping our lattes and looking at the over 100 gargantuan yachts moored there!

Back home to visit the ACU gym just across the courtyard from our building where I rode for an hour on a stationary bike, (Ski and Ronaldo were on the recumbent models), watching music videos from the '80's on VH1 Classic. Really pleased to have access to the facility as cycling here would be rather difficult and extremely dangerous given the fact that the roads are narrow, but two lanes and the drivers impatient. Interestingly enough, one probably needs to be more concerned about the the motorcyclists as the ones we've encountered to date weave in and out of traffic at high speed, passing on blind curves and hills, darting in to the oncoming lane, regardless of whether approaching vehicles are visible or not.  Whoever is driving must be mindful of the lunatics!! Motorcycles and scooters believe and behave as if the middle of the road is a lane just for them!



No shoulders, at all, so not an inch of wiggle room if one is cycling. Too, too bad as it would be a wonderful ride around the island on what I have roughly estimated to be about between 27-33 miles/43-50 kilometres of road through some decent hills and along stunning seashores, of course.

 Cora Lee had gone shopping while we were in the gym so when she returned we headed for Mullet Bay. Water was all I had imagined it would be.  Even warmer than water in Mexico, off Guayabitos, so swimming was lovely. Ronaldo and I swam the length of the bay and back. Took my time as I'd not been swimming regularly since early December. Still, my right shoulder felt pretty good so I was pleased to be back in the water. Not too, too salty either. Always a bit of a chore to keep on course in open water but I would stop every so often to correct my direction, using Ronaldo's arms and head or the yacht anchored off the Cupecoy Beach end, where our Babes were sunning themselves, as references point, along with both headlands.


Surf is quite gentle so it was fun to bob along the shore at the end of the swim, simply enjoying the aquamarine water and the gentle waves. Not overly much visibility as water was reasonably cloudy with sand at this time of day. Don't think there is all that much to see, at any rate. Not that I minded, inasmuch, it was more than pleasant enough to be simply swimming in such a paradisal situation.

[Will you be picking up the NEW BlackBerry 10 smartphone?]


Chatted with one of Ronaldo's AUC colleagues, Scott Berner, and his wife, Bonnie, from St Louis, who were reading under their own beach umbrella when we arrived. Plan to have them for dinner later this week to play a bit of bridge. Once we'd dried off in the late afternoon sunshine, we strolled back to the apartmento for quick showers to rinse off salt and sand. Then the rest of the gang deserted me: The Babes to attend a bead work session at a neighbouring condo complex, Arbor, Professore to his office to prepare for tomorrow's lecture. Once I've sent a few more messages, I'm charged with saladin preparation. CoraLeeta will be, upon return, frying some Mahi Mahi fillets to have with rice and the fresh green beans we picked up at Rastafari this morning. Loads of French wine here so will have a Delas, Tournon sur Rhone, 2008 Viognier, 13%, before dinner and a Pic Saint Loup, Gérard Bertrand Grand Vin du Languedoc, (a typical Southern Rhone blend, Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre),13.5%, with the meal.

Time for my first, neat Mount Gay, Eclipse Black, 50%, so must away. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Stay well! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Local Rastafari fruit; Ski broke her fibula on December 21st, portable boot cast to come off in a week or so; signage; Zee Best; idle rich; gym; Ronaldo after workout, exhausted on balcony; Ski tripped this morning, on my foot, and broke the small toe on left foot; Mullet Bay; double rainbow, looking out our balcony, eastward; view to the west.

The Salmon is cooked in a small “hell” between fires, surrounded by salt.  The result is a moist, perfectly cooked fish.  Perfect with some roasted potatoes and glass of Torrontes.


I shall live badly if I do not write, and I shall write badly if I do not live. -Francoise Sagan, playwright and novelist (1935-2004) 

Hi Chloe, just came from street market. Grandma is 88 not 89 as you posted.
I think we have 30 days in which to return ben's deposit,but will double check.
The woman was Anne Moyer who died. 
I can't believe that krissy and mark are being counter sued what a jerk.
Will ask your dad about your charger, was it for your camera.Talk soon love mom.

Hi Patrick,
Great to hear from you.  I’m just in from a quick ploughing of last night’s 1 ½ inches of snow.  Not really necessary as it will thaw later today but wanted to make sure the cleaning lady didn’t have problems getting in and out.  It’s actually quite beautiful  with the fresh snowfall.

We’re back to our lives here in Naramata after the great week in New Orleans.  I’m quite busy with work.  I have a report to review over the next couple of days and then a trip to Denver next week to discuss.  Then off to Peru on Feb 17 for a week. 

Lynnie and I attended the Robbie Burns SOWTS event on Sunday.  Of the 10 whiskies we tasted, our favourite was a Glenfiddich 17 year old Cask of Dreams.  We tasted 3 whiskies from Tomatin, which is actually one of Scotland’s largest whisky distillers, but mainly produces blending malts.  We tried 12, 15 and 18 year olds.  The 15 year old was OK but none worth writing home about.  The food and company were great and a good time was had. 

Thanks for the great pictures.  I was intrigued by the Rastafarian fruit basket.  The pink fruit made me think of seeing-eye vaginas.  Quite attractive, really.

Saint Martin looks wonderful.  Hope you don’t get bored! Cheers, Peter

Internet Love!
Such beautiful landscape!  I will try to pretend  that there is a beach awaiting just outside the Y this morning while I pedal away on my recumbent bike.  Lots of snow here this winter which is strange for this climate.  Oh well, the snow  has given me some impetus to get back to doing a little watercolour painting.  I haven't picked up a brush for 10 years.  Glad you are all well and enjoying yourselves.  Try to keep those legs under control Ciao

Happy New Year! Thank-you so much for your email message.
  
From January 1 to June 30, 2012, I am on study leave.  I will be checking my email regularly.


Pat,
    Great photos. It does look idyllic. The island looks to have the perfect  distance to cycle but too risky it seems. Sounds as if you can get all the physical activity you need either in the gym or in the water. Wet and miserable here as usual for the time of year. We've had a very quiet time since Christmas which is OK. Break in the weather Friday and Saturday so I'll see if I can get George or others to resume riding. At least I will be able to watch England v Scotland at Twickenham this weekend. Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment