Sunday 6 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Sunday, January 6th

Words are timeless. You should utter them or write them with a knowledge of their timelessness. -Kahlil Gibran, mystic, poet, and artist (1883-1931) 


Hello Maggie and Frank!

Trust you are both well and that 2013 is going, as it should. Just wanted to say hello and inquire about us stopping by. We plan to leave Simi Valley this coming Thursday, January 10th. If you will be home and still want us to stay, I imagine we should be knocking on your door sometime in the mid-to-late afternoon that day. (Wonder if you could send along your address again, as I thought I had it with me but turned out it didn't bring file with your detailed instructions! Sorry, no excuses but plenty of reasons!) However, if you will be away, visiting with your brother, don't worry as we have other friends in Sun City and Mesa, (Both couples are from Winnipeg!), so we would visit with them before continuing to Dallas. Nevertheless, we'd like to see you so if January doesn't work then perhaps on way back in February. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.


Mortsafe!
Lazy morning although Cora Lee and I were up before 7:00am as Joey was purring in our ears like an industrial generator! He thinks that Corinne is his Mom and he nestles right under her chin when he is not grooming her hair! After breakfast, fried tortillas, eggs overleft chicken fajita, all smothered in hot sauce, for me, The Sisterhood lounged in the hot tub. Before going to take the vapours, Coriandre helped me to put Joey in his new harness. He was very patient while we pulled the collar over his head and once the straps were secured behind his front legs I snapped the leash on and carried him out into the garden. It was an absolute delight to watch him look in sheer wonder at this brave new world. His nose was twitching, his eyes wide and his whole body was trembling, at first, as he tried to make sense of this unknown environment. I had to laugh out loud as he chased a few bugs, attacked various leaves and plant stems and sniffed everything. At one point he froze and I couldn't see what had caught his attention. A moment or so later I noticed a lovely blue hummingbird hovering in the branches of a shrub next to the neighbour's fence. Joey didn't take his eyes off it until it disappeared and he went is search of other potential game!

Spent about half an hour walking him around the backyard. Hope to begin acclimatizing him so that he can go outside, unfettered. (Trust his owners will continue this process with this end in mind.) He has so much energy that it is a shame that he cannot have the freedom to explore such a wonderful environment. He needs to have an outlet for his boundless curiosity as he is not called the Destructo-Kitten for nothing. There is a high window in our bathroom with glass jars placed along its mantle. He leaps, with ease, from the bathtub onto this ledge and we are waiting for one of the small ornaments to come crashing down. This morning, in the separate toilette cubicle, he hopped from the cistern to a similar, but smaller ledge. I was at the sink and when I heard a loud bang. Upon investigation I found him in the basket containing magazines, looking up at me, a bit dazed, almost a picture of Tintin's Snowy when he has an accident of some sort! I suspect he jumped from the window ledge onto the relatively slippery surface of the cistern and, not finding purchase, fell into the basket. Didn't slow him down however, as he was soon back in the spa tub worrying the jet nozzles. Then a cavalry charge onto our bed where he loves to chew the buttons on the duvet! Never a dull moment with Acro-Kitten!!! Fondestos to you both from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Day 4 of cleanse and just did a kick ass spin class, I am on FIRE!!!!
  • Patrick James Dunn Joey spits on your spin class. He's sleeping with Rosie on his favourite blanket!
  • Patrick James Dunn Oh yes, I forgot, I just returned from "attacking" Santa Susana Pass with 101.8K over 5:14:5, AVG 19.4 KPH, MAX57.8 KPH so I spit on your spin class as well! Anyway, keep up the regimen! Bravo! Onward! Fight!!!


    Hello Jane and Kjell!

    As Cora Lee has already said, we will not be able to attend your Dad's Celebration of Life. I send along my own message of sympathy and concern and hope all goes as planned.

    Trust you are both well and that 2013 is going, as it should.


    Hi Sarge!

    Trust you and Flamin' are both well and that 2013 is going, as it should. I understand from chatting with Chloë a few days ago that you had a good time at Monk McQueens with Lori and Daniello. Hope he is making a continued and complete recovery. For our part we spent a relatively quiet New Year's Eve. Had steak and lobster tails, (Not me!), for dinner with Ayn and Pierre before they returned to LA, Ayn to a party and Pierre to work at Sound, a new nightclub where he is on security detail.


    After they left, Clarisse, Dusty and Cora Lee repaired to den to read and watch TV. I loaded the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen. On one of my many trips to the garage Joey, the Destructo-Acro-Curious Explorer Kitten, (Cora Lee and Ayn had to use Goo-Away on his front paws this evening when he clambered into a kitchen cupboard and managed to affix a small insect trap to them after he had wriggled past the open door as soon as Ayn took out a frying pan!), bolted into it and I was too busy to chase him so just left him until I was going to be back with another load of overlefts. Must only have been a few minutes by the time I had placed remaining steaks and spuds in containers and then took them out to the garage. He had managed to knock the heavy lid covering one turkey aside and was nibbling away, quite contentedly, on the obviously tasty breast! When I snatched him away I could see that he had gnawed quite a bit of flesh from each side of the breast bone! Nothing I could do but bop him on the nose and throw him into the hallway. Of course he wanted back in, to finish his meal, when I returned with a knife. Sliced off the chewed portions of the bird and thought I'd simply tell the grandparents that I wanted to make sure it was cooked properly so decided to have a few thin slices!


    Back in the den everyone was snoring away so I went upstairs and worked away sending New Year's Greetings. Around 9:30pm I came downstairs and the gang had finished snoozing and we happened upon the original, 1960 Ocean's Eleven. I had never seen any of the "The Rat Pack" movies before so it was quite  hoot to see this one. I guess it was showing as the heist takes place on New Year's Eve. Movie was over about half and hour before midnight so I unloaded dishwasher and got the glasses ready for the champagne while Cora Lee struggled with finding a channel to watch coverage from Times Square. Clarisse and Dusty didn't like Anderson Cooper, (They wanted Guy Lombardo back!), so we settled on Fox and I pooped the cork, David Coffaro 2010 Sparkling Petite Sirah, 12%, and we kissed/hugged and wished each other Happy New Year. Actually, a very, very pleasant way to have spent the evening.

    We watched some of the post-New Year's Eve celebrations/concerts/interviews until 1:00am and then we all headed for bed. Joey was already curled up next to Coriandre when I had brushed and flossed and just before I turned out the light I told her about The Great Turkey Heist! His own feline version of Ocean's Eleven!

    And ever since we continue to be having a simply wonderful time, here in Simi Valley. Had a wonderful Open House on New Year's Day and have been taking in some very interesting cultural attractions as well. Week ago, this past Friday, I accompanied The Sisterhood, (Chloë, Rosita and Cora Lee), to the Ronald Regan Presidential Library and Museum, but seven minutes away from us. It opens daily at 10:00am so we wanted to try to be there as close to then as possible. About 9:45am we bundled ourselves into the car and made for the Library complex, situated on a mountaintop with simply stunning, sweeping views  of the surrounding hills, valleys and even the Pacific. Though just after 10:00am when we arrived, parking lot was completely full. I had dropped the Goils off earlier so that Clarisse wouldn't have to walk any further than need be when I learned that I could park on the road-side leading to the site and catch a Shuttle back to the entrance. Did just that, finding a spot right before Shuttle Stop #2. Once I'd parked I decided to hoof it back as didn't want to wait for the bus and it really wasn't all that far anyway.


    Found The Sisterhood in the lobby, tickets already purchased, (Rosita's sharp eyes had noticed a $5 discount coupon in morning paper so she clipped it out, Saved $20 like Mom would have done! Bless you Annie!). This is the second Presidential Library we have visited. First went to Lyndon Baines Johnson Library in Austin, TX, with Ruth and Randy when we visited tehm in San Antonio in March, 2011. While the overall tone of the place is one of uncritical adoration, if not outright adulation, it is still a most interesting walk though time. The 24 different galleries are extremely well laid out, utilizing the latest touch screen technology and contain wonderfully fascinating photographs, posters, artifacts and historical documents which chart a young Ronald Regan on his rise from local football hero and college radio announcer to the glamour of Hollywood and the governorship of California and ultimately the presidency of the US.

    Of particular interest, to me at least, was the full-sized replica of the Oval Office as furnished and decorated by Regan during his presidency, including a collection of Paul Rossi bronze saddles and a jar of jelly beans, and the Air Force One Pavilion, a most impressive steel and glass structure which houses "The Flying White House", Tail Number 27000, which flew six other US presidents: Nixon, Ford, Carter, H.W. Bush, Clinton and W. Bush.



    After finishing the tour of the Museum itself we next visited Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, apparently the largest exhibition ever curated by the Walt Disney Archives and the largest temporary exhibit ever housed at the Reagan Library. Again, a wonderful surprise and truly a delight. I was most taken with some of the very early animation as well as the original designs/sketches for Disneyland itself. I was not aware of this but a long personal friendship and professional collaboration existed between Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan. It began many years before Reagan’s political career when on July 17, 1955, Reagan was one of the co-hosts of ABC-TV’s live coverage of the opening of Disneyland. TV footage of the event is most entertaining.

     

    This past Thursday I drove into LA to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Center with Clarisse and Dusty. Rather remarkable to view up close, as I'm sure you can well imagine. Spent time we had to wait for our particular showing looking at a number of the space capsules from earlier missions and could have spent whole day there with so much to see. Simply stunning IMAX show on the Hubble Space Telescope, (narrated extremely well by Leonardo DiCaprio), as part of package and only $6 per ticket for Seniors!!! Had a picnic, of turkey sandwiches, near the Rose Garden there, between shows. Unfortunately, Cora Lee had come down with a nasty head cold the night before so she had to stay home and stay in bed with Joey, the Destructo-Acro-Kitten.

    After leaving the CSC we drove to Studio City to pick up key to Ayn's apartmento. Her office is in the building once occupied by Mary Tyler Moore's production company. Great view from her window and I met some of her co-workers so that was fun.  Soon as we were back at her place Dusty put in a dimmer switch for the overhead light in Ayn's dining area. (We had suggested this when we were first staying as it was so bright that she hated to have it on and I was often forced to scribe away at the Jambalaya Diaries in the dark!) Next he rubbed stain on her dining table and chairs. We took one of them back to Simi as it he wanted to glue and clamp some loose joints. (She will pick it up this weekend when she and The Lost Burritos will stay overnight.)


    I sent a few messages while Clarisse read on the couch. However, I feel I must point out that Rosie-the-Riveter was not simply reading while The Brotherhood was slaving away, at one task or another, but rather was "barking out orders", a la her eldest grandchild, from her royal reclining position to such an extent that it is more than a miracle that anything of consequence was actually accomplished! Once Dusty was ready for the table-top, (Table once belonged to Corinne's Aunt Ellen), I cleared away my laptop and went into the kitchen to make a green saladin to go with the pizza Ayn brought home after work, a truly scrumptious pepperoni and meatball topped mouth-waterer from one of her favourite local places run by an Armenian family, Franchises Available, according to lettering on the box!

    After dinner we chatted for a bit before making a few plans for the weekend and then drove back to Simi Valley, stopping downtown at Albertson's to buy carrots, (for the turkey soup Clarisse made yesterday), and cold medicine for the Canadian Patient! She was feeling a bit better and I made her a stiff rum/honey/lemon concoction to sip while we all watched Elementary and Destructo Joey worried his toy fish until he decided to sleep in front  of the fireplace.

    With respect to riding here, I am, quite literally, in Cycling Paradise. There are dedicated bike paths, (Many wide enough for two cyclists to ride comfortably together and chat about where to stop for another late! Furthermore, the road surfaces are extremely smooth and free of debris of almost any kind. The odd pine cone or two when cycling by beautiful Sequoias but otherwise dry. Consequently, very little, if any, grit and my chain and gears remain wonderfully clean between wipe-downs and oilings.), on most of the major thoroughfares and a terrific combination of long, long flat stretches with enough hills thrown in to keep things interesting, believe me!


    It was another gorgeous day here on Wednesday so I took advantage of it and decided to explore the eastern end of Simi Valley. I'd been as far as the intersection of Sequoia and Royal and determined, by looking at Google Maps, that I should be able to ride just into the San Fernando Valley over the Santa Susana Pass. As thing turned out it was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had here in California. For a start I was on dedicated bikes lanes for virtually all of the ride so it was extremely comfortable from that point of view and then the countryside and landscape through the Santa Susana Pass was quite spectacular. The scenery is really breathtaking at times as the sandstone formations show massive outcroppings and stunning, stunning boulders. I first saw evidence of these hillsides when I rode to the end of Browns Creek Bike Path, at the north end of De Soto Ave, just barely under the Ronald Reagan Fwy, 118. Now I know that I was probably looking at Stony Point Park as the SSP Road terminates at Topanga Canyon Blvd on the west side of these hills.

    By the time I was here I had 35K on my odometre and would dearly have loved to have been able to ride for at least another 15K so that return would clock me in at 100K. However, TCB seemed extremely busy and as I approached the entrance to the thoroughfare I could see no evidence of a dedicated bike lane. I decided that I'd best save my energy for the return slog back over the pass. I must say that the ascent was one of the longest, prolonged rides I may have yet taken, ever, but it was not overly exhausting or punishing. The wind, however, was another matter, altogether. Even on Royal and E Los Angeles Ave when making for Kuehner Drive which leads to SSPR, I had to gear down, using the same ratio that I used on the climb over the pass, so strong, so forceful was the sustained headwind. Some of the gusts, particularly working my way to the top of the pass, buffeted me almost sideways at times. Tad disconcerting on the way down as there are some pretty sheer drops along the way and heading into the San Fernando Valley one is right next to cliff edge on some of the tight corners!

    Anyway, I made it up and down without any mishaps. On the return ascent I took a short jog to the north, past The Church at Rocky Peak to follow the road just under the 118, once again. A gated community, Vistas at Indian Oaks, prevented me from going any further so I turned around and literally whizzed back down to SSPD, clocking 60.6KPH before I had to put on the brakes! Quite lovely to see Simi Valley spread out before me as came through the cut just past Box Canyon Road and then I was back on Kuehner Dr to take Katherine Rd and then Christine Ave back to ELAA all the way to Tapo Street which circles what looked like a fairly high end industrial park to connect with Royal Ave. Thence to Sequoia and I was in good shape, knowing the territory, so to speak from earlier rides. Must say I was delighted to have the wind now pushing me along quite nicely at by the time I was back on Fitzgerald, heading for First St I knew what I would do to push my total distance to over 110K.

    Once across First, I continued to Sinaloa Rd and then retraced an abbreviated version of the route I'd done last week when first exploring this area. Ending back at Rivera St I took a shortcut through a small park and was back heading up First with slightly over 106K on my ododmetre. Although it was after 5:00pm by then, it was still extremely warm. I had taken off my cycling gloves, near the very start of the ride, as it was simply to hot to wear them. I thought that I'd have to put them back on once the sun went down as I've found that the temperature can drop quite quickly. Pleasantly surprised not to have to do so. Furthermore, I have sometimes felt chilled on the last descent down Wood Ranch Road, the wind cutting through my light jacket to make me shiver as it finds my perspiration soaked, double long sleeved T shirts. Not this time as I was toasty from head to foot as I pulled into 269 Fawn Valley Ct with 116.3K over 6:18:22. AVG 18.4, MAX 60.6KPH.

     

    Must say I am very pleased with the ride, not just the distance but more the joy of exploring this fascinating landscape once one manages to get away from all the malls and housing developments. Later that evening I thought about exploring Box Canyon Road on my next ride as from looking at the map I determined it would eventually take me to Plummer St, not all that far from the Orange Line Busway Bike Path I rode when we stayed with Ayn in Van Nuys/Valley Glen, before we came to Simi.


    With a lazy day sight-seeing in LA to rest my legs, the day before, I suited up around 11:00am yesterday, muttering to myself, over and over, "Box Canyon or Bust! Box Canyon or Bust! Box Canyon or Bust!" Forecast was for rain on Sunday so I knew I needed to ride while still blessed with the beautifully sunny weather. By now the ride up Wood Ranch and down Long Canyon has become very pleasant I almost don't think about it whereas at first the ascents were significant challenges. Followed same route as Wednesday's ride with the exception of a few minor, pre-meditated dipsy doodles along Erringer and Katherine Roads, so that I was able to start up the rise on Kuehner Drive which turns into Santa Susana Pass Road, with 30K on my odometre. I wanted to know, once I'd made it into the San Fernanado Valley, how far I would need to ride there in order to put me over the 100K mark upon returning home to Fawn Valley Ct.

    Having ridden SSPR I knew what to expect and wasn't fazed by slow haul towards the top. Once turn-off for Box Canyon Road came into view I shifted  down to my very lowest gear as I had an inkling that initial climb on this route was going to be steep. Glad that I did as it was, Dear Reader, almost dauntingly steep and prolonged! Nevertheless, I hunkered down, slow but surely, (even foreswore a small driveway about halfway up where I might have circled to catch my breath), tortoising my way to the top, daring to snatch a glimpse of the truly marvellous vistas of the Simi Valley, its floor, surrounding hillscapes and lovely mountainsides. Bit of huffing puffing when I finally reached the crest of the hill but it was more than well worth the effort when I began the descent.


    If the drop into the San Fernanado, on SSPR, was exciting and the landscape more than lovely, the hurtling down BCR was what I imagined some of the Tour de France descents in the Pyrenees must be like. The closest I can come is to say that I was reminded of the roads which wind between Napa and Sonoma over parts of the Mayacamas Mountains. While I enjoyed the exhilarating rush of the dizzying descent I knew that the return was going to grueling if not impossible! Nonetheless, the scenery was breath-taking, the gargantuan boulders, the massive sandstone outcroppings and the refreshingly shady glens, (the early afternoon sun was baking), of oaks and pines where the road flattened out for short distances, or at least as much of it as I could drink in, fearing to take my eyes of the road for more than a quick glance, lest I plunge to my death over the roadside to the steep chaparral covered slopes below!

    After what seemed like an eternity, (gauged solely by the effort I knew would be required to pedal back up this same Sisyphean slope), the road finally leveled off and I found myself on Valley Circle Blvd. Cycling along here I was reminded of what the valley must have looked like, lovely unbroken green fields dotted with copses and thickets of shrubs, before urban sprawl reached out from LA. All too soon I was on Plummer, which ends in Chatsworth Oaks Park, and I knew, more or less, where I was. A few long blocks took me to Tpanga canyon Road and I ascertained that there were no dedicated bike paths along it, at least at this point, so I headed back to Farralone Avenu, heading north in the hope that I could find the spot where SSPD ended on TCR.


    I enjoyed the wonderfully treed streets and once I'd crossed both Lassen and Devonshire, I found a route through the parking lot at Chatsworth Park North to the continuation of Farralone on the other side of Chatsworth Street that allowed me to follow Tulsa St, a short way back to TCR. Here I had to ride on the sidewalk and the rutted earth path beside it for about two blocks to Calle Milagros, the street on which my first ride over SSPR terminated. Needless to say, I was delighted to have completed the loop, so to speak, and the thought of returning up Box Canyon Road was so daunting that I even contemplated returning on what I knew, without question, was the far easier climb. Knowing I would never forgive myself, however, to prove my mettle, I girded my loins and set off for the jaws of BCR!

    Almost before I knew it I was back on Lake Manor Drive, the tail-end of Valley Circle Drive, and gearing down for the ascent of K2! One of the steepest bits is right at the beginning of the uphill battle so one doesn't even have the chance to ease into the 4K grind. For this short section, (Not nearly short enough for my liking, Dear Reader!), I was reminded of the grueling hill leading up to Blasted Church Winery in the Okanagan, a ride so strnuous, for me at least, that I thought my heart and lungs would explode by the time I managed to crawl to the top. Here, as well, I was forced to stand and pedal before I made it over the first rise. Happy to report, I didn't need to stand again but the huffing and puffing continued, in the extreme, at least three more times when the going was really tough again. Fortunately, these sections are not overly long or I don't think I could have sustained the effort requires. Some measure of respite in between when the inclines were long, requiring concerted effort, but certainly manageable.




    Due to slow pace I could actually enjoy the scenery on the way up so I tried to take my mind off thinking about reaching the top by enjoying the colourful homes which dotted the roadside, again reminding me of many of the "hippie" dwellings one finds along parts of Topanga Canyon on its Pacifc side. My legs were feeling a bit worse fro wear by the time I un-gritted my teeth at the the crest of the hill, (More mountain to me, Dear Reader!), so I stood up for much of the dizzying descent onto SSPD, careful to stay well withing manageable speed, and by the time I was at the bottom of BCR I decided, what the hell, I'd make for the SFV the easy way.

    Bit of a slog to the top of the pass, after the effort of BCR, but nothing like the punishing grade I'd just overcome so this piece of the ride was almost pleasant! Knowing the road now, I was able to sail down without braking, except on one sharp hairpin curve, as the head wind kept my speed to just around 40 KPR. Didn't take long and I was back on Calle Milagros and circling to make the last long climb home. Again, with BCR under my belt, the return ascent on SSPR was so much more manageable that I knew I only had to plod away and it would soon be over. Even the dipsy doodle back up Iverson Raod to Vistas at Indian Oaks wasn't as diffiuclt as it had seemed on the first ride there, although I failed to break even 50 KPH on way down, so strong was the wind on this descent.
     

    Plugged away, a little more slowly, given waht I'd already done and was not at all unhappy to reach the top of the pass, close to Rocky Peak Road where there is an Exit/Entrance to the Ronald Regan Fwy, (Hwy 118), which we take when drivng to and from LA. Really, really enjoyed whirring down this time and don't believe I needed to brake at all since hte road surface is much smoother than on the SFV side. Back on Kuehner Drive I only had 68 K on the clock so I added another 20 K exploring the nearbye housing developments, first off Sandalwood Drive, to the east of KD, and then off Katherine Road to the northwest of KD. When I had logged 90 K I returend to KD and made for E Los Angeles Ave. Very, very smooth sailing as anything flat, even with a slight head wind, was now a piece of cake. Made all the lights along ELAA and only needed a slight dipssy doodle along Sequoia to catch the light at the intersection of Royal and I was soon up the laughable grade of Sequoia to Fitzgerald and it was literally downhill all the way to Appleton Road.

    Easy ride from there, still on Fitzgerald, to intersection of First. Couldn't catch the light here so turned right to zip downhill, past Arcane  to Sutter and then back to Arcane. Couldn't catch the light here either so decided I'd dipsy doodle for another 3 K to give me 112 k by time I was ready to make the climb back up First/Long Canyon Road. Didn't take long to add the distance I wanted and was able to run a red, (Carefully, however, Dear Reader!), back at Arcane, to cross onto First and I was away to the races. Was about 4:50pm by then so I had plenty of light as I "attacked" Long Canyon, no longer seeming all that long or steep, and made my way, standing up for almost the entire time, back down Wood Ranch. It was starting to duskify by the time I reached Fawn Valley Ct with 122 K on the odometer so I switched on my dual headlights and decided to make a run or two on Lake Park Drive South to kick up distance so that I could finish with 125.6K over 6:41:46, AVG 18.7KPH, MAX 49.6KPH.



    Must say that I was more than delighted with outing. ALl in all, felt tired but not exhausted. After a much longed for trip to the bathroom, took two magenesium pills to ward off any cramps and then had a wonderfully long, hot shower! Another grand day today but think I'll just got for a relatively short muscle stretcher of 51.3 K. Not sure if I'll have the pluck to try BCR one last time before we leave next Thursday, January 10th but if I drink enough malt before then perhaps it'll screw my courage up enough to attempt the assault!


    Today I was up before everyone, even Joey, and after I made myself of Big Easy cup of joe, (new pods for the Keurig which Cora Lee picked up yesterday to get me ready for New Orleans java), I repaired to JD HQ and digitated for an hour until the feeding frenzy could no longer be contained. Downstairs to feed Destructo Cat and then back to console while Dusty made pancakes for Alex and Sam. Around 10:30am crew went outside to sit around pool and perform a few maintenance tasks, (Pool Guy never showed last week!), and close to 1:00pm we had a picnic lunch in the garden. Very pleasant and civilized. After feasting I repaired upstairs once again to message the world, (Toshi was to fly to San Diego two days ago but her Aunt Emiko was involved in a serious car accident last week and her trip has been put on hold, pending her recovery. We were hoping that she might have been able to join us here or else we would stop by en route to Yuma.), and confirm lodging along the way to Dallas!

    Just before 3:00pm I suited up and set out for a muscle-stretcher. Had in mind but a 50 K ride as far as Sequoia and then enough dipsy-doodleage thereabouts to give me at least 40 K when I hit First on return. Did just that and enjoyed the relatively short, flat ride. Very pleasant time of day with little traffic and less wind. When I crested Long Canyon the sky to the west was magnificent. The clouds, alto-cumulus, if I'm correct, were bathed in a remarkable shade of pink, somewhere between a Tango and a Congo Pink, if I may be so bold as to theorize. I was glad to be alive and view such a sight and I stood all the way down to Lake Park Drive North, not pedaling once until I left Wood Ranch Pkwy. Back home with 51.6 K over 2:29:00, AVG 20.7 KPH, MAX 52.7 KPH, (down Long Canyon at the start of ride), to find Ayn and Xavierino had arrived. Ayn was busy making chicken fajitas, Armenian style, for dinner. I joined the rest of the Juiceheads and poured myself a stiff rum 'n coke and went to shower and change.

     



    Back downstairs a few minutes later and Pierre had already started to eat as he had to drive back to LA to go to work. Ayn is staying overnight. Sam and Alex left about 8:00pm as Alex has to work tomorrow but both will return for dinner on Sunday as it will be the last opportunity for them to see Clarisse and Dusty before they leave for Vancouver on Monday. Not sure if you have talked to Chloë or not but she is planning to pick them up from YVR. Were to play silly card games but now that the ranks have thinned rest of crew are watching TV so I am happy to update The Diaries. Rain forecast for tomorrow so looks like I might be dragooned into chauffeuring The Sisterhood to Target as Pierre has his Mom's car!

    Fondestos to you and Flamin' and the rest of Clan Sutherland from Cora Lee, Clarisse, Coat Hanger, Los Horridos and Ayn. Please pass along our warm regards to Molly from Joey! Cheers, Patrizzio!



    Pics: Just taken this afternoon in our backyard. Samantha and Alejandro, (Sam is his girlfriend), in pool with Rosie-the-Riveter keeping an eye on the truculent Pool Attendant, more interested in chai lattes than pool maintenance! At the Reagan Library/Museum entrance; license plate from presidential limo; Chloë with Pierre and Ayn, week ago today, before she left for Vancouver following day; Endeavour at CSC and piggybacking when flown to LA this past September. Henie, a friend of Ayn's, took shot from a rooftop near LAX. Apparently, craft were but 500' above; New Year's Day, Pierre with close friend Jonathan and his fiancee, Francine; Dusty with Cora Lee and Tony, an ex-amore of Ayn's; Joey The Destructo-Acro-Kitten, basking in front of the fireplace, dreaming up more double trouble related schemes!   
 Hello Maggie and Frank!

Trust you are both well and that 2013 is going, as it should. Just wanted to say hello and inquire about us stopping by. We plan to leave Simi Valley this coming Thursday, January 10th. If you will be home and still want us to stay, I imagine we should be knocking on your door sometime in the mid-to-late afternoon that day. (Wonder if you could send along your address again, as I thought I had it with me but turned out it didn't bring file with your detailed instructions! Sorry, no excuses but plenty of reasons!) However, if you will be away, visiting with your brother, don't worry as we have other friends in Sun City and Mesa, (Both couples are from Winnipeg!), so we would visit with them before continuing to Dallas. Nevertheless, we'd like to see you so if January doesn't work then perhaps on way back in February. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Hola Patrizio and Corinne,

So sorry, Pat, next week is not good at all for us to have people staying with us. Frank and I are very involved with a Pickleball tournament (Frank is the Pres) Fri-Sun. We also have golf squeezed in on Thursday with our regular Nine and Dine group of retired French Canadian farmers (the French Connection) from the Peace River country. We won't be home much at all. Much as we would love to see you, I can't handle company amd all that is on our plate for next week.


Try February!  It will depend on the date you are planning on coming through. We are expecting a grand baby Feb 25 or thereabouts, to our middle daughter, Stephanie, 34 (mother of 8 year old Elijah) and her partner, Adam.Champagne If I can get a flight, I may go home for a week.


I have a US Air voucher, $600.00, which I got when Alli, Steph and I were returning from Beth's 30th birthday celebrations in Vegas. (Vegas was a blast btw, my first time there ever! The first night we '5' girls went to 'Thunder Down Under'!! Wow, I haven't seen that many hot guys wearing very little up close ever! It was amazing! (Beth & family were already on the island on holidays visiting Terry's family and friends in Nanaimo and Victoria. She and her best friend, Nikole, now married to Terry's best friend, Ryan, flew from Vancouver to Vegas).


Anyway, I digressed. Alli, Steph and I were en route home sitting on the runway at the Denver airport. The flight was overbooked and needed to unload some weight, lol!. We had no urgency to be home that afternoon since it was a Saturday. Alli especially was happy to have an extra day to be childless. Her two are 4 and 1 1/2. Jake was i/c! As we were three, we could not get a later flight together so the airline put us up overnight at The Double Tree Hotel with shuttle and meal vouchers. It was fun. We rented a couple of 'Pay per View' movies and had some 'girl' time!  Unfortunately for them, the voucher is only good in the US and they will not allow partner airlines (ie Air Canada). Guess we should have asked. Steph sold hers on facebook I think, not sure about Allison.


Call or email us on your way back!
  Enjoy your trip! Maggie & Frank


Happy New Year!

Thanks for the updates-cat sounds great!

Clara's shortbreads were a great hit in Both New York, and Clearwater Florida.

Tell her thanks again, and I can't wait for the 2013 butter tarts....

Back yesterday to Nanoose, and nice to be home.

New York was fabulous, lights amazing, and had a great visit with friends in NJ, and then in Tampa/Clearwater.

Cycled most days on the "Pinellas Trail"- 38 miles long, and you would love it, plus numerous bridges with bike trails!

Great visit with Mom and family, and Mom is scheduled for a hip replacement on Jan 30th.

Hard to believe, but the same guy just did one for a 97 year old!

If she does not get it, she will be stuck with bed or wheelchair, so she really wants to go ahead.

Her doctor seems to think it should be fine.

It can advance the dementia, but to ease the pain, I would do the same!

Here until Jan 25th, then off to Maui until March 2nd.

Then back for the slo-pitch and related spring/summer activities.

Hope to see you here for more Island cycling this summer.

Our best to all!!! Gregg & Francesca
 

No comments:

Post a Comment