Wednesday 23 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Wednesday, January 23rd

Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the human heart can hold. -Zelda Fitzgerald, novelist (1900-1948)



Louis Armstrong Airport, New Orleans, saying farewell to Lynne and Peter this morning after a fabuloso week together exploring Crescent City!

Hello to our Favourite Lower Garden District Varietal Naramatians!

Trust that your flights went well and that you are now cosy, back at Il Palazzo di Penticton, sipping a warm glass of milk, Lurking Lynne, and a high test malt, Dom Jugos! We our visiting with Ruth who just returned from work, a few minutes before 6:00pm, slurping G 'n T's made with Hendrick's Gin, Scotland, 44%. We arrived at 4:16pm, the precise time Garmin Goil had predicted. Not a single hitch finding our way home. Quite a change in the weather, compared to our trip down to NO. It was so warm that I had the window open once we had left Shreveport behind and The Surly Navigator wasn't even fussed. At various points we listened to the CD we were both given at Preservation Hall, Duke Dejan, and enjoyed it immensely. We both found Linnzi Zaorkski's voice became a bit grating after awhile but her back-up musicians sounded terrific. Didn't even have time to put on Beau Jocque as trip seemed to speed by.

Just wanted to welcome you home and thank you again for such a deliriously delightful week in your company. It was more than a blast and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Time to order another Happy Hour 25¢ drink so will sign off for now. Dinner to follow, fabulous stir pork/kartofel, curry fry by Ruth with rice and sliced asparagus on the side. Opened a Field Stone, Russian River Valley fruit, 2010, Gewurtztraminer, 13.5% to aid preparations, (I threw together a very simple green saladin, (lettuce, carrots, oniones, and Monterey Jack/ Jalapeno cheese), and then a Coffaro 2007 Aca Modot, (38% Cabbage, 21% Petit Verdot, 17% Malbec, 16% Cab Franc, 8% Merlot), 14.3% with meal. Time for bed!

Fondestos from CoraLeeta to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Snappage: Susan Spicer ad at Rouse's; pre-dinner drink before Cochon; Farewel! Krewe du Vieux; Nappage after Commander's Palace!

These pics are beautiful Poppa!! You fancy retirees have the life! It’s pure torture to sit in my office trying to read and be bombarded with pictures of napping and escapades! No feta for you in LA Mister!

A cache of Civil War papers held at the Huntington
Hello Toshi,

How long will you be in California? My parents will be here on Feb. 13th for one night on their way home from Texas.

I am working a lot right now but I have time to visit you on the weekend if you’re in LA at that time too.  Pierre is staying with me in my little loft in Van Nuys right now and my parent’s friend Tina is coming from Australia too when my Mom and Dad come here so I am not sure where to put everybody (ha ha ha).

We have a cute hotel near my house that I used before for Dusty and Clara when they came for Christmas luckily in case some people need to stay close by.

What are you going to do in San Diego? I look forward to hearing from you, Ayn

Hi Texas Tornadoes!

Hope to drop our friends off at the airport around 8:30am so imagine we will be pulling into The Montane between 5-6:00pm, depending on traffic, etc. Loads to tell. Looking forward to seeing you both. Fondestos and Cheers, Cora Lee and Patrizzio!


Dear Corinne and Patrick,

I had just finished a long walk with Benson and Tess and laid down for a few minutes, well Benson jumped up onto the bed and threw himself at my side wedging me if not cocooning and Tess slept across my face, both snuggling at peace with their world.  When I got up to check my mail these beautiful pictures below were sent at such an appropriate moment for the three of us were experiencing Mother’s Love too. Enjoy!

I must write and tell you a little about our New Year’s Day Open House.  I always feel kind of sad that you are not here but totally understand as there is very little time to socialize with each other.  This year I hired Ingrid’s housekeeper to do the baking, teens to help with serving and two Vets. Assistant’s to look after Benson and Tess. This was our seventh and after listening to John grumble our last even though in two years we will be 70 and celebrating 50 yrs. Of marriage.

I find such pleasure in bringing happiness into the lives of others. John cannot understand why I would spend time and money on others so what I have been doing over the years in order to fulfill my commitment to many people without creating unnecessary stress for John, I present him with his list of duties four days before Jan. first and remind myself to talk little of what I have organized.  The odd thing is he is always happy after it is over and so enjoys spending the time making his Hot Cranberry Rum Toddies.

There is great pleasure in building wish lists of people that one has met over the years.  As the list is my responsibility this year I narrowed the list down to sixty plus ten children, from one hundred and twenty.  I can see one can be false to themselves for over committing so I carefully planned the list to ensure everyone would be compatible and that is what makes it so exciting. There were many moments when feelings of happiness magically drifted through the rooms wrapping its arms around everyone.  It was pure pleasure that happiness was creating, these magical moments to be cherished forever.

John has only four Profs. that attend from the Univ. the rest is neighbors, joint friends and dog walking friends.  In Mystic Vale I met Sandy and Russ Harden with their Wheaten Terrier Finnegan are not only from Wpg. but went to my high school St. James Coll. They run their own successful financial co. here and spend a great deal of time managing their son Riches finances as he plays baseball for the Minnesota Twins.

In Mystic Vale I met Niki Green, Jewish from Wpg. and lives with her partner a Sports Dr.  Niki’s Mom committed suicide at two and Niki has been on anti-depressants for years. Her life complex. The intimacy of the Vale tells many stories.

In the Vale I met Robin a publisher and Diana a retired nurse with their poodle Aries. They were both once married with children and then thirty years ago they were introduced to each other and they have been together ever since. They were one of the first gay couples that went public that hit the headlines as they went to court to defend their rights. They loved the party and new many people from their past.

Our Vet. Patrick Ben Lou Lou Jewish from South Africa has his office which borders Mystic Vale. Patrick’s first wife committed suicide. His last partner was seen running down our street with a knife down the side of our house into the trees soon to be cornered by police. Patrick’s current partner is tall and beautiful and they mingled amongst our guests.  His locum another Vet Simon and his daughter Melissa also attended, they are from England who lost all three of his vet practices.  His wife Rachael who I walk with in the Vale with their Border terrier Ode was an accountant that handled all their finances of their business. Simon unfortunately did not know anything about financing and left everything to Rachael to handle. Their story complex.

I met Joan Duncan from Wpg. in the vale. She is a business consultant just going through a nasty divorce. There is Twyla Rusnak married to Illyrian Gallant from Wpg. Twyla is Ukrainian and her father a former doctor. They run a successful landscaping co. and Illarian is a sculptor. His huge sculptures are throughout Victoria.

Of course my next door neighbor is from Wpg. Ingrid Friesen a psychologist and I nurtured her through her nasty divorce. We attended her sons Bar Mitzvah and her whole family is always here on the first. I told her she must never take back a man that walks out on three young children and told her to go on line. She did and has been with Rich ever since.

I once met Ludmilla Weaver through the Ukrainian hall. She is a retired French teacher from Kiev.  She was organizing a Ukrainian Choir in her home which I was involved with and in walked her husband John, who is British and the former Dear of Science. Well as she tells her John that I am married to John Anderson, he says “John Anderson, the John Anderson” and I said yes, well they have been friends for years and as a couple we have been friends ever since.  They always attend our gala affair. Their son Andrew won the Noble prize for his environmental studies.

 Neighbors Pauline & Robert in their eighties, Pauline still teaches math at the Univ. and the former prof. to our good friend in New Zealand, Rolf Turner who we met some thirty five years ago in Queensland and when he comes to visit I have the Vanden Driessches over too.

Our next door neighbor John Motherwell in his eighties is still running his engineering co. has just published a book  “Francis Rattenbury’s Yukon Venture”. I sent out a letter to everyone attending to come and meet John and listen to his tales. Once when attending John Lucas History of Art Class I had John Motherwell come and talk on Rattenbury. Both John’s attend our party. John Lucas who is gay always sends me long letters of his feelings and pictures of his deceased partner David.

Of course the list is endless with wonderful complex stories. Martha a Museum Curator and her husband Paul Hutner an international artist who we met through Pauline and Robert.  Somehow of late their house burnt down destroying all their art work. My young friend Midori and her boxer Lily friends with Benson from puppy classes. Her children Mika 8 and Miles 5 speak Japanese, French, English and learning Spanish. You might of met Caroline and Victor Horton, squash player of John’s for some twenty five years. Victor’s father owned our boat. Small world.

It is a wonderful diverse, complex list of many wonderful people. Once one attends a few times they become addicted the atmosphere can be intoxicating.  Meeting new people is always wonderful for me.

Enjoy soaking up all that Caribbean Sun. Love Jean, and John, Benson & Tess too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment