Tuesday 29 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Tuesday, January 29th

Mistakes are part of the dues that one pays for a full life. -Sophia Loren, actress (b. 1934) 


Greetings from Hardship Posting #3, Sint Maarten!

Just back from my first swim ever, in the Caribbean Sea, at Mullet Bay!
Some say it has the nicest beach on the island! What a delightful spot and just a10 minute walk from the American University of the Caribbean where we are staying in very comfortably furnished dorm rooms provided for visiting faculty. Earlier today we visited the Solidarity Rastafari Churchical Foundation, nestled at the foot of the hills off Bush Road in Philipsburg, St. Maarten, for organic, sustainable produce. Then to the Marina at Port-de-Plaisance for Almond Croissants, (not for gluten-free Coriandre, poor thing), at Zee Best where we enjoyed sipping our lattes and looking at the over 100 gargantuan yachts moored there!


Really great organization I read about recently, love what they are doing!!!
careers | streetohome
Back home to visit the ACU gym just across the courtyard from our building where I rode for an hour on a stationary bike, (Ski and Ronaldo were on the recumbent models), watching music videos from the '80's on VH1 Classic. Really pleased to have access to the facility as cycling here would be rather difficult and extremely dangerous given the fact that the roads are narrow, but two lanes and the drivers impatient. Interestingly enough, one probably needs to be more concerned about the the motorcyclists as the ones we've encountered to date weave in and out of traffic at high speed, passing on blind curves and hills, darting in to the oncoming lane, regardless of whether approaching vehicles are visible or not.  Whoever is driving must be mindful of the lunatics!! Motorcycles and scooters believe and behave as if the middle of the road is a lane just for them! No shoulders, at all, so not an inch of wiggle room if one is cycling. Too, too bad as it would be a wonderful ride around the island on what I have roughly estimated to be about between 27-33 miles/43-50 kilometres of road through some decent hills and along stunning seashores, of course.

Cora Lee had gone shopping while we were in the gym so when she returned we headed for Mullet Bay. Water was all I had imagined it would be.  Warmer than water in Mexico, off Guayabitos so swimming was lovely. Ronaldo and I swam the length of the bay and back. Took my time as I'd not been swimming regularly since early December. Still, my right shoulder felt pretty good so I was pleased to be back in the water. Not too, too salty either. Always a bit of a chore to keep on course in open water but I would stop every so often to correct my direction, using Ronaldo's arms and head or the yacht anchored off the Cupecoy Beach end, where our babes were sunning themselves, as references point, along with both headlands.

Surf is quite gentle so it was fun to bob along the shore at the end of the swim, simply enjoying the aquamarine water and the gentle waves. Not overly much visibility as water was reasonably cloudy with sand at this time of day. Don't think there is all that much to see, at any rate. Not that I minded, inasmuch, it was more than pleasant enough to be simply swimming in such a paradisal situation.

Chatted with one of Ronaldo's AUC colleagues, Michael, and his wife, Susan, from St Louis, who were reading under their own beach umbrella when we arrived. Plan to have them for dinner later this week to play a bit of bridge. Once we'd dried off in the late afternoon sunshine, we strolled back to the apartmento for quick showers to rinse off salt and sand. Then the rest of the gang deserted me: The Babes to attend a bead work session at a neighbouring condo complex, Arbor, Professore to his office to prepare for tomorrow's lecture. Once I've sent a few more messages, I'm charged with saladin preparation. CoraLeeta will be frying some Mahi Mahi fillets to have with rice and the fresh green beans we picked up at Rastafari this morning. Loads of French wine here so will have a Delas, Tournon sur Rhone, 2008 Viognier, 13%, before dinner and a Pic Saint Loup, Gérard Bertrand Grand Vin du Languedoc, (a typical Southern Rhone blend, Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre),13.5%, with the meal.



Time for my first, neat Mount Gay, Eclipse Black, 50%, (Perfect for this year's Christmas Cake, Raymond!), so must away. Hello from Ski to you both. Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Local Rastafari fruit; Ski broke her fibula on December 21st, portable boot cast to come off in next week; signage; Zee Best; idle rich; gym; Ronaldo after workout, exhausted on balcony; Ski tripped this morning, on my foot, and broke the small toe on left foot; Mullet Bay; double rainbow, looking out our balcony, eastward; view to the west.

Patrick James Dunn Patrizzio was at the ACU gym in Sint Maarten watching World News on the stationary bike, burning 1003 calories!

Hi Mom/Dad,

Looks like you two are enjoying yourselves, Dad just don't aid in breaking any more toes!!
A few things, I gave Ben a cheque for $1500 on a cheque of mom's so please make sure you have all your money sorted :) I also mentioned that I won't be giving him damage until at least the 14th of Feb but am not sure if legally we are allowed to hold it past 14 days.

Everything else is good, G&G and I went for sushi on her birthday and Sutherland's did a dinner Sunday which I belive you already heard about and I bought a yummy cheese cake.

Did you see my snowshoe pictures on FB?? it was soo much fun!!!! Brie and I had a blast!!!

Dad, I am in search of one of my chargers, I belive Gramps brought it over when they arrived and gave it to you?? do you remember where it might be?? I did look in those red boxes by your desk?? but did not find it!!!

What's the name of the older lady who lives down the hall with her son? I belive she died last week in her apartment, is it Mrs. Mueller??? So sad, she was so nice, the one with her husband in a wheel chair that died a couple years ago??

Mags, is fine, super limpy and slow but still very hungry!!!!

Krissy and Mark, not doing well, now Todd is counter sueing them, please don't mention this to Derrick/Gail not sure what they know.

Ok love you both, say Hi to R&R. XXXXX chloe Alexis

I just voted for Pig on the Street as best food cart for the Golden Plate Awards thru the Georgia Straight, you should too!!!!
 
Hi Texas Tornadoes!



What a delight to have spent time with you! Thanks again for everything and for above and beyond effort from Chauffeur Extraordinaire!!! As you can tell, we made it! Enjoy opera weeekend. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both and Cassie and Mad Max, our favourite pooches. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
My question is: how many hours did you wait at DFW airport before any counters opened!?

I flew to San Antonio on the last flight of the day. Slightly delayed so did not get home until 11:50 pm. So, from 2:45 AM to 11:50 PM - a long day. Ok, there might have been a nap or two thrown in, but I did do all my reading for Tuesday's class on the Dsllas-SA flight!

Two classes today, and finished two annual merit reviews. Dinner with friends Bradley and Gilson, our first dinner together in several weeks. Gilson has become a good friend this year. Pleasant to have dinner with men for a change of pace!  Well, I shouldn't say "pleasant" - different. We talked about Lincoln, Europe, process servers,  abortion rights, TV channels and reception, the music industry, Downton Abbey (!), seeing doctors who are personal friends, books we last read, politics, and other trivia. Never got around to wives, children, or selves! This is the male cave mentality I suppose! With a bottle of Simi cab, offered at hf price so $22. I had salmon with dill sauce, green beans, and an incredible poblano cream soup. The boys an "Asian salad," which looked unappetizing from my vantage point. 
 
Glad to know your Caribbean holiday began literally with a splash, but I envy the swimming (I hate sand and salt) much less than I do Corinne's mahi-mahi. I want to taste that. Please put some fresh fish in your Dallas luggage next week - raw of course   

Enjoy your sunshine. Dallas rained today and SA after a high of 25 C today will not top 8 tomorrow!  I see Bradley for my annual physical tomorrow so it will be the first time I have ever asked a friend (ok, a male friend) to stick his finger up my ass! On second thought, I never asked Ruth to do that either! Oh well, my last doctor was literally a nun!

Cheers and don't drink any more of that vile French wine! R
 
Super proud of my friends, Mark Cothey and Krissy Seymour!!!!!!
Pig on the Street!!!!!
‎"Pig on the street" just got voted as one of the best new restaurants in Canada!!!! Yey ethical bacon!
 
having a fabulous time here just came for lunch mooching some free wifi lol  we wish you were here its just not the same playing in the grandes without you. gonna celebrate als bday tonite at el rodeo probably go back to chicala tomorrow the boys just cant get enuf of the waves....tide very high cause of the full moon so no swimming here today red flag is up. we watched two whales frolicking in the surf yesterday was amazing. walked cross hanging bridge yesterday along avenieda los flamingos and r place
 
...we are staying 10 min. north of la penita rite on beach r place is superb weather magnifico although cloudy today still warm and dry. hope u are well enjoying your trip...will get together soon to swap stories and photos. hasta de leugo amigos XO
 
 
 
 
 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment