Wednesday 2 January 2013

Jambalaya Diaries: Wednesday, January 2nd

I dreamt that my hair was kempt. Then I dreamt that my true love unkempt it. -Ogden Nash, poet (1902-1971) 


Joey in Cat Heaven!


Chloe Alexis DunnNothing better then a cat cuddle.

  • Patrick James Dunn Joey is actually looking at Maggster, exploring Rick's keyboard, pushing down various keys with his paws and sniffing them at the same time, as I write!

    Hi Beatricce and Ms Après Ski!

    Glad to learn that you traveled safely back to Pasedena. It was terrific to see you both and we certainly enjoyed having you meet our other friends and family. Sorry that you are consigned to work, Beatricce, while Patrizia whizzes down the slopes at Tahoe but I'm sure things will even out in the end.

    It was a gorgeous day here so I took advantage of it and decided to explore the eastern end of Simi Valley. I'd been as far as the intersection of Sequoia and Royal and determined, by looking at Google Maps, that I should be able to ride just into the San Fernando Valley over the Santa Susana Pass. As thing turned out it was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had here in California. For a start I was on dedicated bikes lanes for virtually all of the ride so it was extremely comfortable from that point of view and then the countryside and landscape
    through the Santa Susana Pass was quite spectacular. The scenery is really breathtaking at times as the sandstone formations show massive outcroppings and stunning, stunning boulders. I first saw evidence of these hillsides when I rode to the end of Browns Creek Bike Path, at the north end of De Soto Ave, just barely under the Ronald Reagan Fwy, 118. Now I know that I was probably looking at Stony Point Park as the SSP Road terminates at Topanga Canyon Blvd on the west side of these hills.


    By the time I was here I had 35K on my odometre and would dearly have loved to have been able to ride for at least another 15K so that return would clock me in at 100K. However, TCB seemed extremely busy and as I approached the entrance to the thoroughfare I could see no evidence of a dedicated bike lane. I decided that I'd best save my energy for the return slog back over the pass. I must say that the ascent was one of the longest, prolonged rides I may have yet taken, ever, but it was not overly exhausting or punishing. The wind, however, was another matter, altogether. Even on Royal and E Los Angeles Ave when making for Kuehner Drive which leads to SSPR, I had to gear down, using the same ratio that I used on the climb over the pass, so strong, so forceful was the sustained headwind. Some of the gusts, particularly working my way to the top of the pass, buffeted me almost sideways at times. Tad disconcerting on the way down as there are some pretty sheer drops along the way and heading into the San Fernando Valley one is right next to cliff edge on some of the tight corners!

    Anyway, I made it up and down without any mishaps. On the return ascent I took a short jog to the north, past The Church at Rocky Peak to follow the road just under the 118, once again. A gated community, Vistas at Indian Oaks, prevented me from going any further so I turned around and literally whizzed back down to SSPD, clocking 60.6KPH before I had to put on the brakes! Quite lovely to see Simi Valley spread out before me as came through the cut just past Box Canyon Road and then I was back on Kuehner Dr to take Katherine Rd and then Christine Ave back to ELAA all the way to Tapo Street which circles what looked like a fairly high end industrial park to connect with Royal Ave. Thence to Sequoia and I was in good shape, knowing the territory, so to speak from earlier rides. Must say I was delighted to have the wind now pushing me along quite nicely at by the time I was back on Fitzgerald, heading for First St I knew what I would do to push my total distance to over 110K.

    Once across First, I continued to Sinaloa Rd and then retraced an abbreviated version of the route I'd done last week when first exploring this area. Ending back at Rivera St I took a shortcut through a small park and was back heading up First with slightly over 106K on my ododmetre. Although it was after 5:00pm by then, it was still extremely warm. I had taken off my cycling gloves, near the very start of the ride, as it was simply to hot to wear them. I thought that I'd have to put them back on once the sun went down as I've found that the temperature can drop quite quickly. Pleasantly surprised not to have to do so. Furthermore, I have sometimes felt chilled on the last descent down Wood ranch Road, the wind cutting through my light jacket to make me shiver as it finds my perspiration soaked double long sleeved T shirts. Not this time as I was toasty from head to foot as I pulled into 269 Fawn Valley Ct with 116.3K over 6:18:22. AVG 18.4, MAX 60.6KPH.

    Must say I am very pleased with the ride, not just the distance but more the joy of exploring this fascinating landscape once one manages to get away from all the malls and housing developments. I hope I can explore Box Canyon Road on some future ride as from looking at the map it would eventually take me to Plummer St not all that far from the Orange Line Busway Bike Path I rode when we stayed with Ayn in Van Nuys/Valley Glen.

    Well, time for bed as we are off to see the space shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Center tomorrow just before noon. Thanks for mentioning getting together in your neck of the woods, Beatricce, but not sure about our timing for a visit to Pasadena at this point. Nevertheless, will certainly be in touch once we've had a chance to figure what might work. Anyway, fond regards to you both from Cora Lee, (sleeping soundly), and Clarisse/Coat Hanger. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

    Pics: First one shows Chloë, Ayn's sister, who left for Vancouver this past Sunday.

    Dear Corinne Pat and Chloe



    Our best wishes to all of you and your families for a happy, lucky, healthy and fulfilling New Year!
       

    We hope you are all well an we trust that you are still celebrating wonderful parties, so do we! Our fondest regards for now, soon more Eveline, Heinz and families



    Happy New Year, everyone!


    Thank you so much, Helen and Peter, for hosting; and Yien and family, it will be great to see you again!  We will hopefully all be present, 2 adults 2 kids.

    Baby club members from so long ago, I hope to see you all and catch up.  Cheers,Karin
     

No comments:

Post a Comment