Saturday 4 May 2013

De-Nestiing Diaries: Saturday, May 4th

I don't mind that you think slowly but I do mind that you are publishing faster than you think. -Wolfgang Pauli, physicist, Nobel laureate (1900-1958) 


Patrick,
You love to write.  Almost as much as you like to cycle.  I am glad that you have bounced back so well from your injury. 
High entropy, as I think of it, is the amount of confusion energy in a system.  I didn't follow your thought flow.
I hardly see any movies, but you may spur me to get a CD of some of these in a few years, after their box-office runs.

If your friend Kjell is the Swedish friend of yours I met a few years ago at your place,  I would like to talk to him about the causes that he advocated of developing treatments or cures for diseases found only in Africa.  Several (maybe 3-5) years ago I read a summary of those efforts to date.  It turned out that most of them were failures because the premise that all black people in Africa suffered from a relatively common set of diseases.  After developing some treatments, it resulted that that they were only applicable very locally, probably because the environments, and its attendant maladies, vary quite widely across the continent.
Thanks for the corrections about your grandsons.  I hope Alexander makes it into medical school.
Are you coming this way in the next few months? Best wishes, Mike


Wayne Sutherland
Wayne Sutherland's birthday is today!
Happy Birthday from The Islay Inn, Sarge!
For He's A Jolly Good Fellow! Hip Hip Hooray! 

hi Pat
I did see the movie, Away from her and agree it is a very moving and disturbing film. I have always been a great Julie Christie fan and for me she will always be Lara in Dr Zhivago.
Let me know what you think of her current movie, it has received mixed reviews, but I said to Polly that I would like to see it. Progress on the knee is slow and painful, but each day I see some progress. Cheers Mick

Hey Pat, When you say between 11am and noon, are you just staying for one hour? If that is the case let's move it to another week. If you mean you want to arrive between those times that is fine. Otherwise, the following week works for me, May 20 or 21 that is, if that is better for you two. I am going to Seattle, for a few days, after that. bob

Hi Bob!

Sorry for any confusion about timing but I meant that I plan to arrive between 11am-12 noon, not just stay for an hour! Perhaps I'll stay for months and then you'll be sorry. I'll send an email on Monday just to make sure brunch is on but otherwise I'll see you next day. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!





Hi, Pat,

Your response was a comedic classic. I have to admit i giggled aloud when i read it. 

Sure, you can stay for awhile! Anna's room is seldom used and i could use a good housekeeper. Rumour has it that you like to vacuum. If you get too rowdy i'll move you out to the balcony. 
On the subject of obsessions, check out the NY cartoons. OK, then i look forward to you two coming between 11 and noon on tuesday, with another follow up email on Monday (with more wit please). Would you like the brunch to taste more breakfasty or lunchlike? bob
 
 
Hi again Bob Blogger and Vaccuming Addict! [Loved cartoons!]

You mention "two" coming for "brunchfast" and I'm now wondering if Cora Lee was included in the original invitation invited or if someone else is joining us. I was under the impression it was just the two of us but perhaps you can clarify. Not that I mind, either way, of course. She will probably be working for NDP most of election day so I suppose this is a moot point.


Once again, sorry for any misunderstanding but I didn't want you expecting her to come and then possibly/probably not be able to show up. Buona Fortuna with revolving door, French farce Frühstück/Mittagessen arrangements! Onward! Fight!! Fondestinii and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Thanks so very much for including us in your E mails.  They are the best.  Thanks again.  We hope your accident off the bike does not slow you down too much.  Just make sure your o.k. before taking on too much....(you do anyway, ha.)  Love, A & S   Greet all....xxxx

Hi, Corinne and Patrick! Great to hear from...
Takagaki Toshiko
Hi, Corinne and Patrick! Great to hear from you!! Visiting California again, I don't know when now… But I'll definitely let you know!! Of course, missing Vancouver soooo much!!!

Hello Everybody; Two more posts from the Gulf of Thailand. 
A visit to Kep on the Cambodian coast
http://wordfrombob.blogspot.ca/2013/05/kep-on-coast-of-cambodia.html

A visit to an island off the Cambodian coast
http://wordfrombob.blogspot.ca/2013/05/koh-thonsay-or-rabbit-island.html Best Wishes, bob  

  
Hi Kjell!

Thanks again for most pleasant afternoon.Had a message yesterday from Mike Oliver in Portland. I mentioned we were to see The Company You Keep. You can reach him at this address. I know he'd enjoy conversing. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


 
Hi Sandee and Arv!

Glad at least one message wen through! Did you receive all of the snaps?
Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Mick!

Really enjoyed The Company You Keep yesterday. My favourite role of Julie's was in Darling!
Buona Fortuna with knee work. Onward! Fight!! Fondestinii, Patrizzio!

 
[A parrilla is essentially any cast-iron barbecue grate set over hot coals.  This may come in the form of your standard gas grill or hibachi though in it’s truest sense, in Argentina, the parrilla is almost always assumed to be a simple grill set over wood burning coals.]

Hi Michaelo!

I'm not sure about my own "thought flow" regarding entropy! I find it a puzzling concept, let alone confusing, especially when linked to "high' and "low" and what I feel are, to my fevered brain, counter-intuitive states. "It was clear as mud but it covered the ground" as Harry Belafonte sang back in the '50's! I'll pass along your comments to Kjell, along with your email address, and you can chat.


[How to cook the perfect steak has a dedicated section in Mallmann’s cookbook which is full of detailed tips and considerations though in the interest of time and space for this installment, we’ll focus on the ingredients and critical steps.
A Perfect Steak Ingredients:
- One 1-pound boneless rib-eye steak per person (about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ inches thick)

- Coarse salt

- Chimichurri

Start a wood fire off to the side of the grill about an hour before you intend to serve the meat. In Argentina, it’s typical to use a large iron basket which allows the larger coals to drop through which can then be spread out under the cooking grill. Remove the beef from the refrigerator or cooler to allow enough time for it to come to room temperature. The temperature of the beef can have a big impact on the way the heat enters the meat and if too cold when placed on the grill, you risk toughness.

Shovel or rake a 2 – 3 inch bed of coals under the grill grate that extends for about 3 inches beyond the perimeter of the grill so that every part of each steak will receive uniform heat.  Ensure that the grill grate is about 3 – 4 inches from the coals. You want the fire to be medium-high, and it is ready when you can hold your hand over the grill for only 2 ½ seconds. In Argentina this is done by counting, uno matador, dos matador, tres… (the same way we in the United States count off, One Mississippi, two Mississippi…)

 Salt the steaks to taste and using tongs, grease the grill with a piece of fat or a clean cloth doused with olive oil.  Place the meat on the grill, you should hear a nice sizzle.  Then don’t touch the steaks, and don’t move them.  After 5 minutes, gently lift one edge to check the sear marks.  If they look just right, rotate the meat 90 degrees.  This creates a nice crosshatch pattern though also keeps the meat from burning where it is in contact with the grill.  After 4 more minutes, turn the steaks over and cook for another 7 minutes or until cooked to medium-rare.  As before, check after 5 minutes and rotate if necessary.

Transfer the steaks to a platter and let rest for 3 minutes.  Serve with Chimichurri. From Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way]

Had forgotten to mention that initially we were planning to drive to Alejandro's graduation in May and were hoping to see you on that drive. Now, we think a visit won't happen until mid-November. We are probably going to house/cat sit for same cousin in Simi Valley where we were over this past Christmas, early January, when they head to Hawaii for American Thanksgiving. Will know more once we are back from Europe mid-October. I wouldn't mind a quick trip south sometime in June but not sure if we can manage this, given all sorts of other commitments, (weddings, visitors, etc.), once I'm back from Winnipeg, May 28th, and our departure for London, July 10th.

When we do visit I'll pack some of our DVDs to leave with you. Save your money for malt since you are not a movie buff! Speaking of film, however, really enjoyed The Company You Keep yesterday. Redford did a superlative job, both as Director, and lead character. Cast was a wonderful collection of "older" stars and well-known suporting actors, uncannily capturing the look, thirty years on, without really needing make-up, of what the once radical youths had become.  Of particular note were Julie Christie, Susan Sarandon, Nick Nolte, Stanley Tucci, Chris Cooper and Sam Elliott. Brendan Gleeson, a superb Irish actor, (In Bruges and The Guard are "musts"!), plays Henry Osborne, the officer who had first investigated the bank robbery for which Grant is wanted. Shia LaBeouf, as Ben Shepard, the reporter, gives a most impressive, intelligent performance. Personally, I thought that the script facilitated this character development, as well as most of the other very dramatic, difficult exchanges throughout the work, as it was both economical and insightful, honest and unforgiving.




The film not only speaks to the Vietnam War Years and the social revolt engendered but explores, meaningfully so, the eternal human verities, (family, friendship, love and aging, among others), coming face to face with burning ideals. No stridency here but rather anguish for mistakes made and hope, perhaps qualified, but still possible if courage and love prevail.

Before meeting Kjell I took another spin around Stanley Park, doing the Prospect Point Hill Loop three times to give me 53.3 K over 2:47:02, AVG 19.1 KPH,MAX 53.5 KPH. Quite pleased that my AVG is inching slowly upwards and that I was able to push MAX a bit as well. My groin muscles have recovered sufficiently so that I can work them harder on down slope run to help me break the speed of sound! Once home I had a quick shower and change of clothes and then took my Brodie to Tinsel Town, just off Chinatown. A 10.3 K round trip so I can chalk up a total of 63.6 K for Fanatics Cycling Record Book!

Cora Lee's sister, Spumoni, from Winnipeg, and her Grains Canada colleague, Lauren, from Thunderbay, were over for dinner in the evening. Coriandre did delicious salmon steaks, (sour cream. mayonnaise, lemon juice, fresh dill sauce), on the bbq, shrimp infused risotto and steamed fresh asparagus. I put together a watermelon, feta and fresh mint saladin while Rosita's mouth watering pecan tarts served nicely for a calorie free dessert!




Off shortly in search of single malts for a number of birthday presents. Another glorious day so I'll start by cycling up to 39th and Cambie to the BC Liquor Specialty Store first. Will probably head out along Spanish Banks to UBC and then along Marine Drive to come at store from the south. After scoping out product there, I'll make my way to Olympic Village, near Science World's geodesic dome, to Legacy, a private liquor store. They have a wonderful array of malt. However they charge more that BC Liquor stores. I don't mind paying extra for things not available at latter, but don't like forking out $10-$15 more for readily available brands. Fondestinii and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, I was assuming Corinne would be coming too, but if she can't we will only be two. Hope she comes though. I am not the vacuuming addict by the way. Will keep the movie you wrote about in mind. Right no i have "Still Mine" with James Cromwell, Genevieve Bujold, in mind. Looks very promising, given the topic and potentially fine acting. bob



P, returning from Jake's convocation at Chan just after 3 PM today, we spotted a solo rider
mounted bravely on 4th --in yellow heading westbound on the indestructible orange Trek... How did it go? How do you feel? Have you been out since the attached missive?


We had a great trip and will fill you in when next we ride. Arrived home late last night after a ten hour drive from Eugene. Regular bridge match sounds great to me. Trying to figure out the logistics for a trip to Beau Soleil and parts European. Would really like to ride tomorrow, if you are willing and able to go again.  Morning may be the best time for me. Best wishes to C. W

George/Pat,
Nice to have you back, George. Managed a ride to Iona this morning. I've never seen so many large groups of riders out there. I was thinking - 'there's a hundred thousand dollars of bike machine going by'. Did a bit more riding in the afternoon as well as mowing and planting. Too busy to go out tomorrow, unfortunately. Patrick won't ride with me anyway. I think it must have been the accident clip I sent you both. Ray
May 4, 1970. Kent State Massacre - 4 Dead in Ohio. The tipping point at home for the end of the Vietnam War. College students at Kent State were shot by the National Guard while protesting the Vietnam War.

No comments:

Post a Comment