Thursday 2 May 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Thursday, May 2nd

Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own, which is the chief reason for that kind of reception it meets in the world, and that so very few are offended with it. -Jonathan Swift, satirist (1667-1745) 


Mammonism:

MEANING:
noun: The greedy pursuit of riches.


ETYMOLOGY:
Via Latin and Greek, from Aramaic mamona (riches). Mammon was personified as a false god in the New Testament. Earliest documented use: 1843. 

Hi Big AL!

Grand ride yesterday, 61.9 K but official stats are only 55.3 K, as I touched down at West Point to have the right handle bar grip adjusted. It had been been damaged in fall. Home after 3:26:45, AVG 19.9 KPH, MAX 53 KPH, down Foreshore Hill


Hi Bob!

Do apologize but I had completely forgotten that I'm playing bridge with a group, "Grandmothers for Africa", at 9:30am this coming Monday! I honestly thought it was later in week. I hadn't scribbled date in on my calendar as invitation came over the phone, to Cora Lee, and when I accepted I was doing something else and obviously never got around to recording date. If breakfast/brunch still works for you, I'm free from Wednesday on. Have two events at UBC on Tuesday. Again, sorry for this. I was/am looking forward to reunion as well.





Did enjoy the two blog postings. I must say I felt like I was in both Bangkok and Cambodia, especially with the videos. Do you use your Canon or do you have s separate video camera? I used my G11 to capture Shinkansen arriving in stations a number of times in Japan. Need to do more as it really adds a wonderful dimension to record one might wish to keep. (Short note: Runway sequence in Phnom Penh needs editing! In someone's famous words "less is more"! Just a tiny jibe! Rest of your "period piece" critical commentary, (bus, etc.), on Barbara was most informed, of course. Loved poster of Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev and Erich Honecker, as well as street scenes, from earlier message.

We'd be happy to see "Ollie" again but we leave on July 10th for London. When does he arrive? I sent him an email as you had passed along message he sent to you. No response, to date.

SFU writers course sounds most interesting. I've often toyed with doing something similar as I'm still struggling to find "my style". I just bash away and am happy if I can keep a record. Friends and family insist I need to work on "condensed format", (Something you seem to have mastered quite well, given your remarkable blog efforts.), but I must admit, since I do it for myself, basically, I don't worry, overmuch, or at all, what the cruel world thinks! Flying in the face of accepted wisdom, More is More, so to speak, if you catch my drift! Just wondering how many
clichés I could pile on!

Anyway, let me know about rescheduling and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Can you explain Exercise video format? As I mentioned, I'm unable to open it.



Hey Pat,

May 12, 13, 14 all work for me, which is a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Later next week, not at all.

I totally agree with you on the video from the flight into Phnom Penh. I need to get an expert over to show me how to edit video, but she is $60 per hour, so i keep delaying that as it is not a hight priority. I think that the cut needs to come after the touchdown on the runway, which would reduce it from 6 to 3 minutes, or so. If the videos are sharper and more horizontal in format, they are iPad videos, otherwise the less sharp ones are G11 clips. Of course it is time consuming but you can enter the whole blog, via the two links i sent you. I have a whole bunch of posts from Myanmar, which was a fascinating experience. I was last there in the second half of January.




Forwarded your email to Olli and told him to drop you a line. Aren't i bossy? Look forward to seeing him again. I took him of a tour of the condo yesterday, using the iPad camera and Skype. Is this technology not amazing?

Here is the course i mentioned. I was muddled as it is entitled "Discovering Form: Your Second Draft and Beyond" Anyhow, too bad we can't do it together. Have you checked out the SFU offerings (even if you are a UBC tribe member)?

http://www.sfu.ca/continuing-studies/courses/ahcp/2013/05/discovering-form.html The Best!  bob


Hi again, Bob:

Tuesday, although Election Day and our 37th Wedding Anniversary, late morning, would be best for me, given other  dates. Would it be possible to have brunch, between 11am-12noon? If this isn't convenient let me know and I can re-work things at my end.



I agree about the iPad, technology in general, etc. I took some stunning pictures with Cora Lee's iPad in Japan. Only thing about it is that I find it a tad klunky to carry/use as a camera. Still, a remarkably versatile tool. That being said I'm looking at a MacBook Air for travel. I gave my iPad to Chloë as it was a first generation, without camera and she uses it for work, taking minutes, emailing them almost immediatley, as well as a host of other uses. Ironically, as she has an iPhone she made more use of it in one day than I'd done since buying it in 2010! I don't like any of the flat keyboards I've found for the iPad, (One I gave to Cora Lee is wonderful but has a dock which protrudes and makes carrying it cumbersome.), and I like an actual keyboard rather than the virtual one. I have used it on a number of trips and survived. Any suggestions? I'm even thinking about an iPad mini. Do you know anything about them? Have you used one?

Appreciate link to course but with travel planned I don't think I could have done it justice. I'll be curious to hear what you think, however. Let me now about Tuesday. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Fingare and Digitale!

Thanks for the wonderfully newsy message! Wonderful, wonderful snaps of family. Glad to learn that all goes so swell, particularly on health front. Bravo Michaelo! Onward! Fight!!!

This week I managed to ride every day, back on my Trek, doing 51.3 K. 53.3 K and 55.3 K respectively. Felt great to be back in the moving saddle and each day was a tad better in terms of overall soreness and endurance. Popped in to see Mick yesterday, at the end on my ride, to deliver a pile of books and he wished to be remembered to you two. I had forwarded Marilyn's epistle to him and I gather he was not aware of all of Cardio Man's most recent on-going health issues.
Anyway, I'm alive and so, so fine, heading towards better! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Jou Ching!

Trust you are well! Have been meaning to say hello for aeons. No excuses but plenty of reasons! Thank you for the lovely Christmas card! We didn't read it until after we returned to Vancouver in mid-February.
Spent Christmas in LA, then Dallas, (Had wonderful visits with Randy and Ruth there!), New Orleans and Sint Maarten, in the Caribbean. Back home on February 17th. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Maret and David!

Trust you are both well!
Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Ski and Ronaldo!

Trust you are both well! Have been meaning to say hello for aeons. No excuses but plenty of reasons!
Let me know what you think about Languedoc and we'll book you in! Cycling along the Canal du Midi! Who could ask for anything more. French wine and cheese. Just like being in St Martin!!!

This week I managed to ride every day, back on my Trek, doing 10.3 K. 51.3 K and 55.3 K respectively. Felt great to be back in the moving saddle and each day was a tad better in terms of overall soreness and endurance. I spit on the stationary bikes of AUC and FCCC!!!
Anyway, I'm alive and so, so fine, heading towards better! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Kjell!

Will see you tomorrow at Cineplex Odeon International Village Cinemas 88 West Pender, at about 4:15pm, in the lobby. Cora Lee won't be able to join us. However, we were wondering if you and Jane are free for dinner on either Friday May 10 or Saturday, May 11th. We can chat about date tomorow. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello, Please join us for a pre-event reception in honour of authors Meg Wolitzer and Jim Lynch, who are appearing at our May 22 Incite event at VPL. If you would like to stay for Incite at 7:30 please let us know so that we can reserve seats for you. For more information on Incite please visit http://www.writersfest.bc.ca/events/incite Best regards, Ann McDonell Director of Marketing &  Development 
Hi Ann!

Thanks for the fab invitation. Would certainly like to attend Incite reception but Cora Lee and I will be in LA at our youngest grandson's graduation from U Cal Northridge. Would have liked to Meet Meg Wolitzer and Jim Lynch but will blame Alejandro for missing chance. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Takagaki Toshiko

  • Hello, Corinne and Patrick, How are you?Thank you for the lovely Easter greeting!
    Sorry I haven't written you sooner. I heard that you are visiting Ayn in L.A. for Alex's Graduation on 5/21!! Wish I could go...Now Japan is Golden Week holiday! Remember that you came to Japan after GW last year. I had such a great time!! Please have a wonderful spring season! Toshiko
  • Corinne Durston

    hi Toshi, great to hear from you. When are you coming back to California? Spring has started here but still not too warm. Have fond memories of your family and friends who we met last year. Love to you and your mother, Corinne
    Patrick James Dunn
    Hi Toshi! How could we ever forget the more than wonderful time in Japan with you and your Mother and family and friends! We'll think of you all when in LA in a few weeks. Fond regards to everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Chloe,
Sorry it took a while to get back but I’ve been super busy the last week. It was great to see you and check out the place I love the space it’s super cool!. Here’s a few pics of some stuff I’ve done. Any questions give me a shout. Take care, Al

Hi Al, No worries on the reply look how long this took me :( 

the pictures are great, love the metal and wood mix on the desk pieces and love the look of steal and wood in general especially when mixed like the gates are.
I guess what I'm envisioning is all metal which I think we discussed, something fairly simple, no wood, clean lines, maybe a tiny bit rounded on the corners (vintage inspired?) And I would like to be able to use that box that is there, to put a printed/stuff on. So if we could almost put metal down a ways so that you don't see the box but that shelf created by it is still accessible?? Am I making sense?? Is it possible at some point to have you come back to the loft?? maybe we could sketch it out???
I'm sure your busy with work and the new place, but if it works?? Let me know, I'm going to sit at the space tonight to figure how far I want it to come out from the wall and so on. Thanks Al, Chloe


Hi Chloe, No probs I will be able to get by after next week when I’m off this show and have a bit if time. I will give you a shout and figure it out, how’s your Dad? looks like he got really banged up! . I phoned and left a message the other day and an email too ...have they gone out of town ? ttys, Al 

Dad call Al!! Ok Mom! What is this msg about ???

Patrick,
Thanks for your good wishes.   And the wonderful update as well.  You have supplied a wealth of detail.  On further re-reading, I noticed that you have omitted a few details.  There is almost no discussion of the the outfits that you and Corinne wear as you go through your adventures.  Further, unlike your actual trips to Australia and Japan, you include few details of the meals you have eaten every day.  On the other hand, I read this e-mail reasonably well, but if it were three times as detailed I might have begun to gloss over some parts.
Please give my regards to Mike Carter.  I hope he continues to improve. My doubles squash is slowly getter better, but it still requires major improvement in many areas.  It is fun to play though.
It was good to hear about your grandchildren.  Did Pierre get into medical school? Give my best regards to your charming bride.  Sometimes I think she has the patience of Job,   putting up with your high entropy existence. When are you coming this way again? Best wishes, Mike




















































No comments:

Post a Comment