Friday 3 May 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Friday, May 3rd

I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars. -Walt Whitman, poet (1819-1892) 



Hi Big Al!

Sorry that we didn't return your call. Not sure what happened. A dizzy spell perhaps! Just kidding,as I'm finally starting to feel like on the road to normal. Cora Lee says that is frightening!

Have managed to ride every day this week. Monday I suited up, donning my new helmet, [The brand name, (Purchased last fall as a spare! What forethought!!), is called Savant. Robo Man and Whirlygig have same and we refer to them as Idiot Savant Coconut Protectors as The Sisterhood think we are "idiots" for riding as we do and seem have about as much sense as an empty coconut shell. Of course, they think the latter whether we ride or not!], and took things very slowly and carefully, doing but a short 10 K errand ride in the afternoon.
 Must say I felt pretty good. Much more comfortable. physically and psychologically than the Wednesday before so pleased about that. Didn't feel quite so tentative. Unbelievably windy coming back from downtown over Burrard Bridge. Really had to concentrate not to be blown sideways gusts were that strong. Had to return to lab for another test and then I made my way back to Kitsilano to the Royal Bank on the corner of 4th and Balsam for a spot of banking. Friendly young woman who served me suggested I upgrade my Visa Gold to Platinum for no annual fee. She obviously knows about my numbered Swiss bank account!


  • Patrick James Dunn "The present is where vacuuming begins!" Motto of The Dust Police, engraved on each and every Hoover and Electrolux worth its salt!
  • Ayn P I have a new vacuum too...and donated the old one!!
  • Patrick James Dunn Does it have the cosmic engraving?
  • Ayn P No but I am thinking of having a small vacuum tattoed on my left arm with a heart around it
  • Patrick James Dunn Grand Idea! It will become a benchmark like the classic hula girl US sailors had in the 1940's!
Then on Tuesday I attempted the Seawall/Stanley Park/Prospect Hill Loop. Didn't actually plan it that way but it was two weeks to the day from the date of my accidento. Once again, took things very slowly and did three loops of the Prospect Point Hill to give me 51.3 K over 3:00:58, AVG 17 KPH, MAX 43.7 KPH, so I was quite pleased. Still a bit sore, my right shoulder and right gluteus maximus, to put it politely, in Latin. Don't feel too badly about AVG as on the day of my "tumble" my AVG was 18.3 KPH, as recorded at the very moment of impact. [Official stats: Odometre Setting after Accidento, May 20th, 57.6 K over 3:08:21, AVG 18.3 KPH, MAX 42.9 KPH] Anyway, all this by way of saying that I hope I'm well on the road to recovery. Funnily enough, my right, upper rib cage, under my arm, is still very tender and if it doesn't improve I'm planning to see doctor about it. This discomfort is keeping me from swimming, at the moment. Nevertheless, having said that, perhaps I should try getting back in the water to see if that helps.

Nurse Durston was at Hycroft, University Women's Club, (Where Dram Come True will be held at the end of the month.), that night at an All Women Candidates Debate. (With apologies to Simon and Garfunkel: I'm a citizen for boysenberry jam fan!) I had hoped that her bedside manner would have improved by the time she returned for the evening shift! Unfortunately, Nurse Ratched in the film version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest comes to mind! I'm sure Mick Carter's wife, Nurse Polly, (He is recuperating from knee surgery.), is nothing but a Dream Caregiver!!! Some chaps have all the luck!

On Wednesday I decided to ride out to UBC before doing a number of errands so followed the MD/Crown/Camosun/Imperial Drive Loop. Revisted the grisly "scene of the crime" twice, in the course of my loopage. Couldn't see any noticeable irregularities in the road surface at 27th and Crown so I assume my pedal must have simply caught and dug in, pitching me to the unforgiving tarmac!


Once I had the necessary distance on the clock I made for the Foreshore Hill and then to West Point Cycles. Overall, a grand ride, 61.9 K but official stats are only 55.3 K, as I touched down at West Point to have the right handle bar grip adjusted. It had been been damaged in fall. Home after 3:26:45, AVG 19.9 KPH, MAX 53 KPH, down Foreshore Hill Felt great to be back in the moving saddle and each day was a tad better in terms of overall soreness and endurance. Stopped at Young Brothers for some fruit and vegetables after WPC and then popped in to see Mick to deliver a pile of mystery books.

Yesterday I headed back to Stanley Park. Didn't start until almost 2:30pm and there was another strong head wind. Waves on English Bay were dark and angry but since I'm not really worrying about AVG speed at moment, I wasn't fussed, just plugged away. Wanted to do over 60 K so knew I'd need four loops of PPH. First time that my muscles, (legs, ribs and shoulder), didn't feel but marginally sore so ride was most enjoyable. Had to do, (Fanatic's Riding Manual, page 3!), a few extra dipsy doodles around parking lot at bottom of PPH to bring loop total to around 10 K. I've taken to riding on the road lately and this route isn't quite as long as staying on the Seawall itself. However, don't have to worry about tourists, small dogs and careening children!

Started to sprinkle a few drops on the third loop but hardly anything to cause concern, particularly a potentially slick road surface, but by the begnning of the fourth everything was dry again. Home Free with 66.6 K over 3:36:53, AVG 18.4 KPH, MAX 50.2. Was particularly pleased about breaking 50 K barrier on last descent as I hadn't really felt like "pushing" earlier as I didn't want to over-tax my groin. Anyway, decided I'd go for broke and was delighted that I was able to crack the sound barrier and suffer no ill effects. Still the odd twinge, from time to time, depending on how I move but more so when I'm changing position in bed as opposed to when I'm actually riding. Training for your cabin!

I see in your message to Chloë that you wondered if we might be out of town. Not for a few weeks until we fly to LA on May 18th for Alejandro's graduation from U Cal Northridge on May 21st.Then back to Vancouver on May 22nd and then to Winnipeg, without Cora Lee, on May 23rd. I will attend the 100th Anniversary of my junior high school, Isaac Brock. Really looking forward to both as you can imagine. Then back to Vancouver on May 28th in time for Dram Come True on 31st. [I have your ticket, by the way.] Not much more than a month then and we are off to London on July 10th. If it's Tuesday, it must be York! First stop after London. Then Somerset and then Cornwall, around August 1st for a house exchange. Ayn hopes to join us there for ten days.

Furthermore, a few days ago I had an email from the owner of Beau Soleil, the property in Languedoc I was interested in renting after we leave The Luxury, Sheer Luxury of Cornwall! I had requested it for the month of September and reservation is now confirmed. I've attached the rate sheet and brochure to give you some idea of place and environs, with the hope of enticing you and Marilyn to come and stay with us, if you don't come to Cornwall earlier. I plan to make my way there after we say goodbye to Cornwall. We are meeting Flamin' and Sarge, and two other couples, in Agen, on September 28th, to start a two week canal cruise.

Cora Lee will be in Italy until about the 20th, with some of her Book Club Sisterhood so she will only be able to spend one week in Neffiès. Here, Whirlygig and Robo Man, are "toying" with the idea of joining me. I'm also hoping that Morana Peric might visit as well. I am in semi-regular contact with her, (Ragin' Bull's cousin's daughter, whom Chloë and I met in 2007 when we stayed with the family in Zagreb.), a lovely young woman. She has said that she and her boyfriend would be quite interested in coming to stay if timing works out. Due to her work, however, she might not be able to schedule holidays at this time. As well, Margareta, (Chloë's former nanny), from Denmark. Cycling along the Canal du Midi and through endless vineyards, nubile Swedish masseuses at the end of each ride to provide full body rubs and pour wine. Almost as good as riding to Iona! Anyway, let me know what you think and I'll book you both in!

Give me a shout when you have a moment. Fondestos to you and famiglia from Nurse Ratched. Cheers, Cow-Catcherless Conduttore!


Why don't we meet for a cup of coffee before the movie, say 3.45? That way we will have the time to update each other on current events. Be back about the mentioned weekend. We have very vague plans on going to the Okanagan. Cheers, Kjell 

Hi Kjell! See you in the Lobby at 3:45pm then. Cheers, Patrizzio!   Super!


Hello Everybody,

With this email come two further posts from Cambodia. The first witnesses the funeral procession of King Norodom Sihanouk and reflects on the achievements of this national hero. The second is an account of a trip to the Cambodian countryside, thanks to the kindness of a gentleman man named Mr. Dorn Kaht. He showed me his village of Phloev Trei, across the Mekong River. I was particularly thankful for the opportunity to spend many hours in his family home. This was the first of two trips to his village. I apologize too for this post too, an even more lengthy steam of impressions then usual! Historic event in Phnom Penh:

A rural invitation:
Word from Bob: Invitation to a Cambodian village Best Wishes from New Westminster, bob

Hello Patrick & Corinne, 

Nice to hear from you - nice photos!!!  Goodness Patrick, it seems to me that this is the second major bike crash you've had in recent years.  Not good and certainly not at your age.  Anyway, glad to know you are recovering and will be okay eventually.    Now, I must ask if you wear a helmet when you bike and if not, perhaps it is something you should consider as another time you may not be quite so lucky in your injuries, especially where the head is concerned.

Sounds like travel is still a big part of your life.  Are there any parts of the world that you haven't been to yet?  We've done a bit, a very small bit but hope we have the opportunity for more in the future.  We went on a Caribbean cruise in late November/early December as a "celebration" of Leonard's 70th.  Enjoyed the trip, but then what's not to enjoy about an all-inclusive.  I really enjoy that type of vacation as I don't have to do anything except enjoy.
This past March we spent two weeks in a resort in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) along with our daughter Lynsey, husband and baby Emily as well as Gerry's parents.  It was a most enjoyable time and we thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Emily as being a year old, she was much more fun and a most agreeable child.  In September we are going on a Mediterranean Cruise  - Greek Isles with our Campbell River friends and that is pretty much our travel plans for this year.  Need to spend time on the home front as still lots to do there.

Mom is in the hospital since April 13th but is expected to be discharged this coming Wednesday.  I am flying to Edmonton for Mother's Day and will stay a week which will give Mom some company as she continues to recover.  I called her the morning of the 13 as I wanted the address of Aunt Dorothy Halchuk who was turning 100 later in April.  Mom didn't seem to connect that it was me and just hung up so I called back at which time she indicated she felt so ill and was extremely dizzy.  My first thought was that she might be having a stroke so I told her I was hanging up and would call Charlie which I did.  He immediately called 911 and to make a long story short she's been in hospital ever since.  The initial diagnosis after numerous tests, etc, which seemed to rule out any sign of stroke or heart attack was vertigo (a couple of fancy medical terms in front of the term).  Things seemed to be getting better, then at the beginning of the second week she began experiencing chest and shoulder pain, so more tests, etc.  Medication has been changed and at this point she is feeling much better, able to read again, dizziness seems to have subsided and all is looking more positive.  Hopefully that will continue to be the case as she has been so well this past winter.  Goodness she was in the basement parging the cement walls, then painted all the walls.  She even booked a flight to come to Brantford in July, which now may not happen but we'll see.
Anyway, since things were so up and down I thought it would be a good idea for me to take a trip to visit with her and I am hoping she will be out of the hospital when I am there. Other than that, nothing else to add at this time.  Take care of yourself and no more bike crashes!! Cheers! Roma & Leonard
 
Hi again, Roma!

Yes,I always wear a helmet! Shudder to think what might have happened otherwise!!! Sorry to learn of your Mom's ill health and hospitalization. (Ironically I just posted a letter to her in which I said I hoped she was well!) Great that you will visit over Mother's Day. You people sound as if you have enjoyed a number of lovely trips. Stop in a say hello to Cyprus when in the Med!

Time for today's ride so will say goodbye. Off to see The Company You Keep this afternoon with friend Kjell. He's from Sweden and will be returning on May 20th. I'd not known about film:

The story centers on recent widower and single father, Jim Grant, a former Weather Underground
 anti-Vietnam War militant wanted for a bank robbery and murder, who hid from the FBI for over thirty years posing as an Albany attorney. He becomes a fugitive when his true identity is exposed by Ben Shepard, an aggressive young reporter. Grant must find his ex-lover, Mimi, the one person who can clear his name, before the FBI catches him. Otherwise, he will lose everything, including his 11-year-old daughter Isabel. While Ben struggles with ethical issues as a journalist, Jim and his old friends from the Weather Underground must live with the consequences of their radical past.


Julie Christie plays the ex-lover so I'm curious to see her. Her last film, at least that I saw, was Away From Her with Gorden Pinsent. A very powerful movie. Did you see it? Happy Belated 70th to Leonard! Cheers to you both, Patrizzio!


Hi Michaelo!

Sorry that I omitted details of meals and clothing but will try to do so in future missives! I passed along your best wishes to him. This in an earlier message:  


I was not aware that mike was having such a touch time with his health and good to see how well he has recovered. We still make that anti pasta we had at their house en route to California and it is one of my favorite dishes. Mike


Other than the fact that he can't spell of capitalize, he seems well on the mend!

Alejandro, not Pierrino, has applied to medical school but no news as of this writing, at least that I am aware of. Nurse Job continues to rail against high entropy but I suggest you might mean low entropy. If entropy is a measure of the energy unavailable for useful work in a system then, as I understand it, high entropy would indicate less energy available for useful work in a system, while low entropy would suggest greater energy availability. But what do I know? I don't have a PhD from MIT in mud patties! Cheers to you and former Nurse Fingare, Patrizzio! 


I suppose if you cracked a rib under your arm I don't suppose they can do anything about it. 
Getting dings or getting old isn't for sissies. gg 


 Hi Gail!

Getting old isn't for anyone! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Thanks for this Patrick. I was not aware that mike was having such a touch time with his health and good to see how well he has recovered. We still make that anti pasta we had at their house en route to California and it is one of my favorite dishes. Mike

Hi Mick!

I passed along your thoughts to Mike and just had a message from him: Please give my regards to Mike Carter.  I hope he continues to improve. Cheers, Patrizzio!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment