Wednesday 8 May 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Wednesday, May 8th

Life is an adventure in forgiveness. -Norman Cousins, author and editor (1915-1990) 

Three more sleeps till Alex Palmer makes my girl Jennifer McGregor an honest woman!!!! ;)
 
Another Island Book Club date, June, Planning Committee 
The plan is to foist ourselves upon Kurt and Natalia at their Nanaimo estate for the days of the 1st and 2nd of June. Kurt has graciously (foolishly) offered a place to sleep to all who are interested in staying. Please let us know if you intend to attend and if you are coming over Saturday or early Sunday. 

The bridge players in the group intend to arrive by bicycle in the late morning or early afternoon of the 1st of June. Kurt has offered to pick up walk on passengers on the Discovery Bay side. As always, my decision is unanimous. 

Dear NRBC Dictator, aka Il Duce!

I plan to be in one of bridge ciclisti so please ensure that my luxury suite is available for June 1st. As well, let me know what provisions we might contribute to the kitchen at Hotel Wrath. Sieg Heil, Vozhd!
P,

Greetings from Nod. Thank you for the ride lasterday -- it set me up for the squash. Mike & I crushed Carlos and Casper, 3-1. Should not have lost a game -- a momentary distraction which I can only fairly blame on your concussion. 

Would love to play bridge tonight. I regret that I cannot offer to host nor can I offer Kerry as a 4th. The sisterhood has booked the card room in the castle -- without prior notice to her loyal servants, of course. The trump always seems to be in her hand. 

I would love to ride  today but will decline. I must attend to urgent items at the top of the Job Jar -- work I have skillfully dodged over the past few days. 

I play squash again Thursday at noon and would welcome an early morning ride if that works. Having said that I may need to provide security for the MT in the morning so need to confer with domestic government. Would love to ride Friday BUT it is apparently a full day with MT so I may be on lock down unless I can corral some unsuspecting person into covering for me. W

Hi Pat, Hope you listened to my phone message. We will hopefully be back late Saturday night, which would open up for Sunday evening. Cheers, Kjell
Hello! First, if you have voted for my article, many thanks! If not,
there is still time.

Second, in what seems to em to be an anti-democratic spirit, you can
only vote in this contest if you have  a Facebook page. (If you are
one of those who does not have a Facebook page, I quite understand. I only have one out of necessity.)

Third, requests to the publisher to open up a non-Facebook channel for voting - both from me and others - have met with zero success. He is obdurate!

So... what I'm hoping is, if you do have a Facebook page, you can drum
up a proxy vote or two from your Facebook circle. So far, I've heard
from about 10 people who wanted to vote for me but couldn't.

The link again is: http://www.tonictoronto.com/May-2013/The-Chair/ Many thanks! Deborah
 


Hi Patrick

Just been speaking to Evans Cycles at York.

The position seems to be as follows:

- the company is due delivery of Montague bikes in late May/early June timescales at their headquarters down south
- there seemed to be some possibility that this date could slip
- if we go back to them with a deposit of £50 per bike the York branch  will place an order for a 19 and a 21 in frame  bike for your July arrival
- this would be on the assumption that you were prepared to buy one of the two bikes although strictly speaking we could only lose the deposit(s)
 
If you feel comfortable with this I will get back to them , place the deposit and formalize these arrangements based on trying the bikes on your arrival at York. I presume a short ride on the bikes would be sufficient?

Weather about to turn awkward after a few nice days. We have Laura and William with us this week while Ed prepares for his finals and Chris and I are finding things hectic- interrupted sleep etc.
Looking at places in Harrogate for them to stay for when  Ed does his two years hospital duties. Entertaining them is cutting down my cycling preparation- making early excuses as you would expect.
Below is a link to a place we visited near Newcastle last week-end whilst picking Laura up and visiting mothers.


We also went onwards to Newbiggin which is slowly being improved:


Most people head further north up the Northumberland cast to Holy Island, Bamburgh, Alnmouth etc. Trust you are back into regular cycling. Regards, Jim
Dang – have fun Patrick! A

Bonjour patrice Play was fabulous and one of our group,  luz a Peruvian glamour puss,  was interviewed by the press!  We will check out London news tonight.
Would love to join you in France - let me have a few more details so I can get time off work.
Mike suggested lunch in oxfords oldest pub and I suggested tea on terrace - see pic. X 



Hi Ross!

Very pleased to learn that a Library School Drop-out turned dedicated follower of the Almighty Dollar has now seen the Library Light of Enchantment and Enlightenment at the end of the Mammon Tunnel!

Sorry that it has taken me so long to thank you for your earlier, solicitous call regarding my accidento! Back in the saddle again and hoping to break 100 K mark in next few days. Plan to take a ride to Horsehoe Bay tomorrow or Friday. Any interest in hooking up? We could rendezvous near Dundarave Village, probably around 9:00am. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!


 Patricio! Sounds like you had a great ride. I conclude that you must still work at least part time ... as one of the people that devises map routes for Google Maps users.

Can't do the ride tomorrow as I have a prior engagement (no, not my daily worship at the Temple of Mammon - that comes later.) However, some time we will get out, perhaps after you have already put in 40 km or so. I will wear short shorts as seems to be the garb of your preferred riding partners. - Ross 

Hi Patricio,
Glad to hear you are back in the saddle again! hard to keep a good man down as they say. I was working out in Steveston at Garry point during the windstorm you mentioned and it was a challenge to get anything done. The wind had knocked down all the temporary fencing they put around the construction area and it was  quite a mess. We have been sooo lucky with the weather out there and it has been a very enjoyable assignment. I wrapped up my time on the show today as I had lot’s of other things to do although I probably could have stayed another 4 or 5 weeks. 
Thanks for getting my ticket to the Dram event and I will make sure to settle with you when I see you. I did send a message to Heraldo to see if he was interested as it falls close to his birthday (80th!) and he enjoyed it last year, haven’t heard back so far but will let you know what he says.
I do very much like the idea of spending some time with you guys in Cornwall but the cycling and the nubile Swedish masseuses are very tempting as well. I will try and figure out my / our schedule and look at spending some time there. look forward to seeing you soon.Take care, Al 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment