Friday 10 May 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Friday, May 10th

I'm not at all contemptuous of comforts, but they have their place and it is not first. -E.F. Schumacher, economist and author (1911-1977) 


P,

glad you made it home safely -- albeit with paltry stats. Your experience is reminiscent of many of my own in the slow learning curve -- where the most obvious mechanical malfunction is lost to me and is so obvious in retrospect.  I do think you should make a connection with Cobby at Giant for your maintenance unless there is some advantage to sticking with WPC. 

Young Chaplin while performing 
with "The Eight Lancashire Lads", 
c. 1899
Please ask Corinne about whether these 'household items' may be of interest to the shop. Also the cassettes to the Friends. Today I have the MT and dont seem to have any relief options. Saturday I am riding to EVG with Chasy for a match in the morning. Sunday, I may ride in the morning before the sisterhood arises. I play a match at 1:30 and we are hosting a birthday party for Cobby that night - the big 25. He says he is now middle aged. Vive La France libre! Dreaming of riding... W

We have completed your work order (050913181245) at West Point Cycles - West 10th Ave. Please stop by at your earliest convenience.

Hi Patrick,
The spoke replacement on your Madone is complete. The total for the service is $26.24.  The mechanics notes are below.
Replaced 1 broken spoke in rear wheel and trued.  Only had black aero spokes in the correct length.  Test ridden - rides well. Thanks,Dan

Yes sir, that's my baby boy
 

Patrick James Dunn Wonderful action shots! Bravo #32!!!

Dear Archbishop of Mammon!

So sorry that you and your short shorts were not able to join us yesterday. While you were somewhere deep inside a bank vault counting shekels or conch shells or bitcoins it was a glorious day outside and provided the poifect backdrop for another wonderful ride. 


In this vein, I stopped in at Reckless today and took the only one of the Montague line, ("The BOSTON 8 offers the versatility of an 8 speed to handle the urban terrain and the clean look of a single speed with the Nexus internal hub.), they had in stock for a spin. Liked it very much but I think the FIT, ("The all new 2013 FIT is a lightweight, 700c, flat bar road bike with a low-spoke count, ideal for fitness and commuting use.  It folds in under 20 seconds without the use of tools, offering flexibility in today’s multi-tasking world.  The FIT is a fast, sleek road bike that can maneuver around the city, and fold up to go aboard a train or bus for ultimate versatility.  It comes in 19” and 21” frame sizes, offers 30 speeds, and a carbon blade fork."), or the Navigator, ("The Navigator is a 27-speed folding bike that is built for the daily commute.  Along with 700c tires and the Octagon height-adjustable stem, this bike comes standard with fenders and a rear rack, prepared for the commute to work in rain or shine."), are ones I'd be keen to see before purchasing. Chap at reckless said they would be oredering in a number of Navigators shortly so hope to try it out when that model arrives. Keep in touch about riding. Cheers, Patrizzio

Pics:  Latest shots of Alejandro! Youngest, smallest of the Los Horridos/Lost Burritos! We fly to Tinsel Town on May 18th to attend his graduation from U Cal, Northridge, on May 21st.

Hi Big Al!

Glad you finished work on your latest show without having any fencing fall on top of you! Quite the wind indeed!!



Almost forgot to mention that this past Tuesday we attended the reception for the awarding of the Basil Stuart-Stubbs Prize for Outstanding Scholarly Book on British Columbia. Before reception met Stompin' Tom, (Tom Shorthouse), and Blackbird Al, (Allen Soroka), both former colleagues, at Mahony & Sons Public House at UBC on University Blvd at 2:30pm. Enjoyed a draft Guinness and we chatted on the patio for an hour or so. I reminded Tom of our connection and we laughed, gently, about Stuart and his dreams. Al regaled us with some of his fishing stories and then we strolled over to The Ike Barber Learning Centre to attend the reception in the Dodson Room, funnily enough, once my ILL office. Cora Lee met me there as she had been downtown doing more volunteer work for the NDP on Matt Toner's campaign.


Today at 1:30pm, at Robson Square Provincial Court, 800 Hornby,  I had my hearing for the ticket I received for having an "obstructed license plate". Officer, in question, was not present but case was not dismissed. (Not sure why but decided not to "push things", given what transpired before I was called.) I was third defendant and since other two had plead guilty as charged and then had their fines reduced to $5, I decided to plead guilty as well and explain my case. I briefly outlined what had happened and then showed the female judge, (a very pleasant and humane individual), the pictures I'd taken of my new, improved license configuration.


She was most impressed with the "elegant" solution and I had to pay but $5, a saving of $191! Took longer to pay small fine than to appear! Nevertheless, all due to you so thanks again! Cora Lee was not happy, of course, as she was hoping I'd have to do hard time in Alcatraz!So sorry that you have not been able to join us of late. 

Don't worry about Dram ticket but let me know about Heraldo when you know, one way or another. Keep in touch about riding and Cornwall and the weeks of crushing grapes, in the nude, with the Swedish masseuses! Cheers, Patrizzio!



At work


 

No comments:

Post a Comment