Sunday 5 May 2013

De-Nesting Diaries: Sunday, May 5th

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork. -Peter De Vries, editor, novelist (1910-1993)


An anthropologist proposed a game to the kids in an African tribe. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the kids that who ever got there first won the sweet fruits. When he told them to run they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats. When he asked them why they had run like that as one could have had all the fruits for himself they said: ''UBUNTU, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?'' 'UBUNTU' in the Xhosa culture means: "I am because we are" 

 Hello Lads!

Great that you have both broken radio silence! Glad to learn that all went well with foray into foreign state. I trust you came back with plethora of Duty Free hootch. However, bit concerned that you might have also picked up latest spy ware, having obviously me under surveillance on yesterday's ride. I decided that since Robo Man felt he could manage Iona without me, (Not even so much as a polite inquiry as to my state of health but rather a complete write-off as a has-been peleton member.), I'd brave the hurricane force head winds without benefit of drafting possibility, even in my weakened, dizzy state.


My initial intention was to search for single malts for a number of birthday presents, so I thought I'd start by cycling up to 39th and Cambie to the BC Liquor Specialty Store first, head out along Spanish Banks to UBC and then along Marine Drive to come at store from the south. After scoping out product there, I intended to make my way to Olympic Village, to Legacy to browse their wonderful array of malt. However since they charge more than BC Liquor stores I wanted to see what was possible at the Signature outlet before shelling out cold cash. I don't mind paying extra for things not available at latter, but don't like forking out $10-$15 more for readily available brands.

Anyway, by the time I was climbing the Foreshore Hill, I felt pretty good and decided that perhaps I'd take a run to Iona before making for Cambie. About halfway up, just as I was inching past a young woman, (She had whizzed by me at the start of the climb so I used her fetching posterior to spur me on!), a car full of Yahoos, honking and shouting, roared by. We both looked at each other and laughed and continued to chat rest of way to the top. I asked if she was a student at UBC but it turned out she had gone to school at Brock and Guelph, eventually earnig a Masters in Chemisty. She hs worked for the Port of Vancouver for past 10 years or so. Her office is at Canada Place. Anyway, we said goodbye near the Chan Centre as she said she was taking a water break.


I continued on and quite enjoyed the ride oggling all all the well endowed female sun worshippers making their way to Wreck Beach. Just past the lights to Triumf/Wesbrook Village, the speedster flew by me again so I upped my pace and set off in hot pursuit. When I finally managed to catch up I mentioned that she must have had more than water in her plastic bottle. She laughed and said she only had an hour or so before she had to be back home before her two girls woke up. She has one a year old and the the other is two and a half. We introduced ourselves, (Christine), and chatted about routes. She had mentioned that she often rides through UBC so asked her if she had been around the new Wesbrook Village development. She replied she hadn't as she usually took Camosun as she lives in Kits. We both said how much we liked the fairly recent resurfacing of the street, both avoiding its former pot-holed length in favour of Crown. I mentioned my latest spill and she said her husband had an accident on his mountain bike and has been able to ride for five years!

Waved goodbye shortly before lights at 41st and continued along MD. Only two dump trucks between there and lights at Cypress Bikeway intersection, so traffic, though steady, wasn't uncomfortable. Didn't go over Arthur Laing but under via W 77th/Oak towards Kent and then CSTB. (Exrta K's dontcha know, Dear Reader!) Knew I'd be fighting a fierce head wind all the way to Iona as could feel the blasts as soon as I left River Rock. Very little vehicle traffic and even fewer cyclists, (As opposed to Ray's experience earlier in the day. It was just after 5:00pm by this time.), so pleasant from this point of view. Mountains, of course were simply spectacular! Without benefit of considerate mates I geared down and plugged along and must say going wasn't as bad as I'd thought it was going to be.


Delighted, nonetheless, to have the wind at my back, I managed to regain much of time lost, in terms of AVG,  with wind now helping me along. By the time I was close to the turn-off to Grauer Rd I was toying with the idea of heading out to Steveston so continued along Templeton to make for the overpass to take me to Grant McConachie Way. However, didn't make the light at the N Service Road so followed that street all the way to the airport. Freshly pavesd with a dedicated bike lane so going was easy, other than the fact that I was know back into fighting with the head wind. 


Ended up circling around Departures and then back on GMW until I turned off onto Miller Rd which than feeds into Russ Baker Way and I was headed for Steveston! Had wind with me, more or less, from that point on, as well as along Lynas Lane and then Railway. Kept up a pretty good pace and from elapsed time on odometre I knew I was about five minutes ahead of AVG 20 KPH. Knew I'd need some wriggle room once I headed back along No 3 Road. Going on Dyke Road was fine but once I headed north on No 3 I was back into gale force wind conditions. Bit of respite on Finn Rd and then into wind tunnel again on No 4 Road. Geared down, out of necessity. Had doubts about the wisdom of going this far as my water bottle was almost empty and my legs were tired. I didn't even wan to think about cramps as I felt the odd twinge in my right, upper calf!
 

Pleased to say that a rationed "sip", (I almost felt like Pi in the lifeboat with his tiger!), on Nuun infusion seemed to revive me a tad and the shelter afforded by the buildings past Francis Rd made the going somewhat easier. I plugged along, doggedly, knowing I'd be almost an hour later, (Given where I was and time, [around 6:15pm, I think.], where I had yet to go.), than when I'd said I'd be home. I was worried that Cora Lee would already be spending insurance money at one minute past 6:30pm!

In spite of battling the wind, I'd managed to keep AVG where I wanted it to be and was soon making my way over the Oak Street Bridge. Left MD at Heather, (Paucity of domestiques meant I'd need an alternative route!), for Kent and then Cambie. Timed lights on MD and was soon slowly making the long ascent. Traffic was very light so I decided to cut across at 63rd and made my way back to Heather. Had to push myself once there as I was losing any "cushion" I'd had. Swore under my breath at 41st as not a friendly pedestrian in sight to change interminable light. Had to circle, losing valuable second after second, until a break in traffic occurred and I scampered through intersection. 


Almost completely downhill, all the way, from there, and the Cycling Gods were with me, synchronizing the lights, in my favour, at 33rd, King Ed and 16th. Had a slight delay at 12th while a scattered cyclist took her time about pushing light button, but once through I sailed across Broadway and was soon on the Laurel pedestrian overpass. Had about 86 K on the clock when I hit Charleson Road so decided I'd make for Spyglass Place. Doing this would give me the four kilometres I'd need to break 90 K so pedaled like a bat out of hell and made it home with 90.3 K over 4:30:37, AVG 20.o, MAX 44.0 KPH. Pleased as punch, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was the fact that had not been missed, one iota, by Cora Lee! Maggie was pleased to see me, however!

Since any thoughts of stopping for hootch had long been discarded, I need to do those errands today. I'm planning to ride out to he Signature store on Cambie first so if you are interested in a short ride, Whirlygig, let me know. I had then thought I might pop by your palce, Raymond, to pick up the Crais book, unless you have already returned it. Not a big deal. Anyway, I'll call once I've posted this and we can chat. Cheers, Il Conduttore! 


Hallo Patrick,

thank you for your message! It´s great, that we  get in contact again. We haven´t seen us for such a long time. As Bob probably told you, I will arrive in Vancouver in July. It would be great to meet you and your family. I see, you´re still very active.  I hope, that your injuries of your bike accident are already healed. Bob told me, you swim a lot every day. How is the rest of the family?

Can you remember, when the Germans lost the soccer world cup and you tortured me with driving me through the Italian area. Now I´m married with an italian woman and she tortures me with jokes, when the Germans  loses.

I'm
 self-employed. I work as a Trainer for adults and companies. Also I’m an personal consultant and co-partner of an academy. As you can see,  I´m unfortunately  not a Trainer for the English language. My English isn’t the best, but I hope, we can communicate
J It will be a special moment to be in Vancouver again. So I hope, I can see you J Greetings to the whole family! Olivetti

You and Corinne are more than welcome to stay in October too . Max got me up at 630 this morning so I am back in bed trying to have a skip before going out later with my new man x

Pat,
    It sounds as though you're on the road to recovery - 90K at 20 average isn't to shabby not to mention picking up young women en route.
    The Crais novel is due back May17th so probably plenty of time. Sorry I missed you today, been on the go all day. Two rides up the 16th hill to Alma tested my resolve in the warm weather and had to jostle with the marathon runners on my first ride at 9:45 to UBC.
    Jenny wrote to me about an app on her phone which records all kinds of details about exercise, hers being for walking and running.
    I'd give you a call right now, Pat but I expect you are watching either 'Call the Midwife' or MI5. Jim Brownlee tells me he was in York researching your proposed bike. He was out doing a spin himself. Must tell him you're are back in the saddle and raring to go. Ray

PS, Watched the first leg of the Giro d'Italia last night. Cavendish won the sprint finish after about 130K of hard work. Channel 224, I think. Some great views around Napoli and the coast with decent commentary. 21 stage event. Ray
 
Truro mentioned. You might want to look at the Yorkshire area also which has some interesting information about the nicest places to live.

Hi Raymond!

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed reading about all of the places mentioned. Guess we'll have to stay for a year!

Knew I must be training for something when you mentioned the Giro d'Italia! For some reason out TV seems not to be working so can't tell if we receive Channel 224 but will take a look when signal is back. Weren't able to watch anything, for this reason, but probably could not have done so as Pamela and Laureen were back and prepared a lovely dinner: turkey sausages on the bbq, fresh corn on the cob, (sweet, tender and delicious, almost like the riding babes!), and a delicious green salad with avocado. Dessert was fresh blackberries/strawberries on top of Angel Food cake!

After all the wonderful food, (More irresistible appetizers, dips, and cakes at the 59th birthday party we attended in the afternoon!), will really need a long ride tomorrow but I'm playing bridge at 9:00am as part of a fund raiser for Grandmothers for Africa. Polly will be there as well. Should be fun but I'm also worried about the incredible spread that is provided for lunch. Beside endless hot and cold dishes and salads galore, tables and tables of desserts of all kinds and variety. Feel a bit guilty as food really should be going to people needier than most of us playing. Anyway, I'll need to ride to Whistler and back, especially since I only logged 11.33 K today, riding up to Cambie and 39th to Signature store, not having stopped in yesterday.


Still a more than gorgeous day and I know what you mean about heat. Not something that we have really had to deal with so far and it certainly was a factor yesterday, for me, on No 4 Rd! As well, I wondered about marathon route as I saw numerous postings for street closures on my own "marathon" yesterday. If it isn't tourists on tandems it's bloody runners. Almost wish it would rain! Funnily enough, it is embarrassing how quickly we come to think of the routes we take as "ours" and "ours alone", not to be wasted on those who don't really appreciate them as we do!I'll give you a call tomorrow morning before we leave and perhaps we can pop by after bridge, (probably close to 1:30pm), and I could collect the Crais book. If you won't be home then you could leave it under a bag of kale on the back patio!

Am currently reading Tana French's Broken Harbour:

... a ghost estate outside Dublin – half-built, half-inhabited, half-abandoned – two children and their father are dead. The mother is on her way to intensive care. Scorcher Kennedy is given the case because he is the Murder Squad’s star detective. At first he and his rookie partner, Richie, think this is a simple one: Pat Spain was a casualty of the recession, so he killed his children, tried to kill his wife Jenny, and finished off with himself. But there are too many inexplicable details and the evidence is pointing in two directions at once.


Scorcher’s personal life is tugging for his attention. Seeing the case on the news has sent his sister Dina off the rails again, and she’s resurrecting something that Scorcher thought he had tightly under control: what happened to their family, one summer at Broken Harbour, back when they were children. The neat compartments of his life are breaking down, and the sudden tangle of work and family is putting both at risk .

Quite taken with Scorcher's character thus far. French won the Irish Crime Fiction Award in 2012 for the work. Thanks again for all the tips. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Giggster! Ride on Tuesday? 9:00ish? Cheers, Patrizzio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment